Excalibur 2 charging problem/discrimination problem

divemachine

Greenie
Feb 4, 2008
Hello everyone,

recently I bought an Excalibur 2 and was actually very happy with it so far. The batteries were already charged when I got it and it worked for a really long time. When I tried to charge it for the first time (about 20 hours) it only worked for about 5 minutes after. Same thing after the next few tries. I should mention that I bought the detector in the US and took it to Germany. Here we got 220 V. According to the manual the detector can be charged at 110V, 230V and 240V. I also bought a transformer (110 V, 75 W) but still...nothing.
Does anyone have an idea what I am doing wrong?
The second thing that is a bit strange: as soon as I get a hit in discrimination mode there is a very loud distorted sound that usually only disappears when I turn the detector off. Is that normal?
I would be very thankful for any help. My Minelab-baby is sleeping in its bag instead of finding all the treasures out there...
Thanks
divemachine

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A few things came to mind from what you posted. A recchargeable battery is not usually fully charged from the factory, and should not run for a long time without charging. This is usually true for all eletronics with rechargeable battaries. With this in mind, Is it possible you have a standard battery pack in your unit and not the rechargeable one. If you look at the manual you should see the differnce in the ends of each type pf battery pack. The standard one allows you to remove a battery holder and replace the batteries. Also this would explain the batteries not recharging.

If neither comment above applies I would get it in for repair as this is not normal.

Ed D.

OP
OP
D

divemachine

Greenie
Feb 4, 2008
Hello Ed,

thanks a lot for the hint. My manual says that the detector comes with a set of rechargeable batteries. It also recommends not to open it to gurantee that it seals perfectly for underwater use. In an earlier thread it was mentioned that moisture could be an issue but isn´t the case.
For about a week I am waiting for a response of the dealer but it seems that they don´t know either. It will be heartbreaking to send my baby back...:-(((((
Thanks
divemachine

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread