Hello from the Isle of Man...and HELP!

Silentbob

Aug 31, 2008
I recently took an interest in getting into Metal Detecting. A friend lent me his vintage 1970s White's Coinmaster V Supreme. Although in good general condition, it was suffering from its age. A wire had corroded and come loose from one of the battery terminals and the headphone socket needed looking at.

Anyway, I got it up and running and off I went. The machine was working fine when I stumbled upon a beach which was miles away from anywhere. Coke can, bottle top, ringpull etc etc, then whilst moving down towards the waterline, I put the head under the water to pinpoint an object. At this point the machine went and threw a tantrum.

When I got it back, I realised that although the coil was waterproof when new, 30+ years later, this was not the case. I have warmed the coil slightly using a hair dryer, and used low pressure compressed air to force out as much moisture as I can without slitting the casing open.

My questions are, is the case able to be split open without permanently damaging the internals? Is there a rubber o-ring that has possibly broken down over time leading to the leak? And, If the coil is indeed beyond repair, can I fit a later coil to it?

The exact model is a (UK Version) Coinmaster 5 Discriminator Supreme with a 4BDX Coil.

If it were mine, I would just go ahead and pull the coil apart, but since it is not, I want to return it to the owner in good working condition before looking at purchasing my own.

Many thanks in advance.

Saturna

Bronze Member
May 24, 2008
Nanaimo, B.C. Canada
Detector(s) used
White's 4900 DL Max, Tesoro Deleon
I bought one of these new, and still have it. As far as I know the coils are sealed at the factory. If it looks like the bottom can come off, it may just be a coil cover, which protects from scratching.

Even when new, I found the coil way too buoyant to use underwater and, of course, the box is not waterproof at all.

If the coil has indeed been compromised with salt water, than a replacement (probably from Ebay) may be the only answer. Or it may even be cheaper to just buy another CM5. These aren't worth a lot today, despite still being an excellent detector.

I envy your location for detecting (and motorcycle racing) :icon_sunny:

Jay

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread