Top 10 Richest Shipwrecks

old man

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2003
East Coast
The El Salvador was an outward bound Spanish Treasure Ship that was sunk in 1750 after being caught in a Hurricane.According to documented accounts it was sunk in the area in your post. Cornelius is the research expert and I am sure that he can add a great deal to your post.

OP
OP
A

alloyd

Aug 8, 2005
Old Man, thanks for the note. At least it's true. Now I can start doing more research. Can you tell me how I can get in touch with Cornelius?

gldhntr

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2004
info possibly adding credence to your lost " el salvador ".....1750 galleons wrecked off n.c. coast due to hurricane........"nuestra senora de guadalupe "at okracoke inlet, 1 million on board, small amount salvaged by locals then,,,,,,,,,,"unknown spanish galleon" off cape hatteras, 400,000 peices of eight on board,,,,,,,,,"
,la galga" off cape hatteras in currituck inlet , 1 million in gold and silver on board,,,,,,,,,,,,,"unknown spanish galleon" at cape lookout 15 miles SE of morehead city, treasure unknown,,,,,,,,,,,"nuestra senora de la soledad "near drum inlet, over 1 million in gold and silver on board,, also an "unidentified spanish nao" near the same place at the same time,,,,,,,,,,,,#######,,,,,,,,my info has your galleon, the "el salvador" as sinking in topsail inlet, with over 1 million in gold and silver................have fun,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,gldhntr

old man

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2003
East Coast
Alloyd,
Cornelius is a great researcher and posts on this forum quite often. Possibly he will respnd to your post.
If you are going to put alot of time in looking for the El salvador, I would save my time and money for a few months.
I've been told as recently as two days ago, that two different groups have claimed to have found the wreck and that they
were involved in a court case over who had the Admiralty Claim. I was told that the case was settled in Court recently
and that salvage work should start in the very near future. I won't post the names of the claimants, but if you want to
contact me off line, I will fill you in as to what I was told. My e-mail address is in my profile. 8)

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I always thought the Spanish fleets followed the coast and the Gulf Stream to Cape Canaveral and then headed across the Atlantic. This might be a stupid question, but when and why did Spanish ships follow the coast to the Carolinas?

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Alloyd, don't waste your time on El Salvador. It has already been found by Ben Benson about 5 years ago. He filed an admiralty arrest and Spain claimed the wreck was a memorial site. Benson's permit to excavate was denied.

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Bigcypresshunter said:
I always thought the Spanish fleets followed the coast and the Gulf Stream? to Cape Canaveral and then headed across the Atlantic. This might be a stupid question, but when and why did Spanish ships follow the coast to the Carolinas?
Cornelius said:
They did not follow the coast . The storm would blow them there . They could sometimes not go East since the prevailing wind was from the South East . Cornelius
Are you saying the Spanish fleets were not following within sight of the Florida coastline in 1715 & 1733 for example? Or are you saying that these wrecks were different? ??? ??? Could you please explain.

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Thank you Cornelius, now I understand. I only ask questions because want to learn.
cypresshunter.

Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Homebuilt pulse loop
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
salvor 6 said:
Alloyd, don't waste your time on El Salvador. It has already been found by Ben Benson about 5 years ago. He filed an admiralty arrest and Spain claimed the wreck was a memorial site. Benson's permit to excavate was denied.

I believe the two ships Benson found were La Galga and Juno. I have done some limited research over the years and it is still being disputed as to the authentication of the El Salvador "finds."

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread