Jesus Maria sunk 1589

RELICDUDE07

Bronze Member
Oct 2, 2007
Pascagoula Ms.
Detector(s) used
minelab exp.
Cannons,guns,swords,food, gold,silver, ingots,rope,plates,cups,cooking goods , rocks .. Just a guess to get it started. 1 of the 3 ships was loaded with treasure,right?

OP
OP
O

old man

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2003
East Coast
Relicdude07, from what I gather 3 ships went down pretty close to each other and one if not all three carried what you have described. I just don't know how much was treasure was usually carried on a treasure fleet coming from Mexico to Spain in the late 1500's.

RELICDUDE07

Bronze Member
Oct 2, 2007
Pascagoula Ms.
Detector(s) used
minelab exp.
This is what some had in the time frame.... In 1571, these 2 ships carried over 2,500,000 pesos in treasure but the documents didn't specify how much gold and silver made up this total. A “peso” was not a coin in those days but a unit of monetary value, equaled to 1 1/8 ounce troy of silver. The gold to silver ratio was 16:1. Both were very rich ships when lost. You know what they had on them old man ;D Are they far enough out to salvage ,or will you need to take the state with ya :icon_pirat:

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Old Man, the years 1580 to 1600 were called "The Golden Years" because the treasure galleons carried as much gold as silver. In later years the ratio was 90% silver to 10% gold. On Sept. 12, 1589, General Alvaro Flores, Admiral of the New Spain fleet left Havana with 21 ships and General Martin Perez de Olazaval left with 28 ships of the Tierra Firma Fleet loaded with indigo, hides, logwood, silver bars, silver coins, gold coins and bullion. On Sept. 18 the fleet was hit by a strong storm that lasted 8 days. On the 23rd, the Almiranta of Alvaro Flores had her bow broken open and quickly sank with few survivors. Not many people know that there were actually 14 ships of the fleet that sank. At the time it was the greatest shipwreck disaster in Spain's history. I have all the documents on this fleet from Seville. I'll look into the manifests and give you some specifics.

jeff k

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2006
Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Relación given by us, Luis Ortega, pilot, and Alonzo Perez, Captain of the of His Majesty’s ship La Espiranza, which has entered the port of San Lucar the Wednesday of 22 November in the year 1589, as the flagship of General Juan de Orive.

On the 11th of September we sailed from la Havana. 32 ships, those laden with silver are the following:

La capitana de Nueva España
La capitana de juan de Uribe Apallua
La nao de Pedro Allo que Uiene por Almiranta
La francesa donde venia pedro ssanchez escudero
La Nao de Juan Baptista espindola
La nao de gaspar de Maya
La nao de Alonso martin Marquez
La nao de Diego de Narea la pequena

In 5 days [we crossed] 31.5 degrees [approximate latitude of Bermuda] after so crossing, we were given eight days of natural breezes which drove one nao and one galizabra1 toward La Florida and on the 23rd of September lthe ship Malaça gave herself up to the sea by an opening of her bow. On this day were lost four naos that were sailing in company with us: the Almiranta, the Saluadora, the Francesa, and one frigate off La Florida.

theGOLD

Dec 6, 2006
Detector(s) used
JW Fisher 8x
So they went down off of north florida and the carolinas you think?

Vox veritas

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
old man, I investigated in the archives of AGI and Simancas (Spain) first for a project in Portugal in 1993 (Rosario) and in 2003 for Odyssey (Jesus Maria). There is a lot of confusion, because the galleons discharged the treasures in Havana, but at the end I discovered that the order of delivery of treasures was not executed fully and good part of these it was on board. The Jesus María surely took 3 million pesos.

pcolaboy

Sep 5, 2006
Pensacola, Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS
FYI.... 31 deg. 30 min. North is the same lattitude as Altamaha Sound (at the border of Georgia and South Carolina) and as most of you already know, the term "La Florida" included the coast as far north as Cape Hatteras in those days.

Pcola

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Sorry Gold and RGecy, according to my chart plots I don't think any of the ships of the 1589 fleet wrecked north of Georgia unless it is far offshore.

rgecy

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2004
Beaufort, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Sea Hunter Mk II
I have always heard rumor of a Galleon off of Savannah, which is right on the border and only 15-20 miles by sea.

Robert

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread