Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Low-alpha / antiquity lead

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Nov 2004
    Sterling Hts., MI.
    Garrett, Sea Hunter mark II

Re: Low-alpha / antiquity lead

Without getting into a detailed discussion, does anyone know what the CURRENT, substantiated, market price is for an ounce/pound of low-alpha lead, pre WW2?
    PyrateJim
    Stay Golden -TS

us
    Feb 2004
    lake mary florida
    Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
    54 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

I just checked with one of my sources and they said they paid $50.00 a pound for low alpha lead 4 years ago.Im waiting for a call back from another source for the current price.
    Millions of dollars of Spanish treasure await those who would dare brave the eye of the hurricane.

us
    Sep 2007
    wakeman, ohio
    J.W.FISHERS pulse 8x
    42 times
    Shipwrecks

I have about 500lbs of lead but don't know if it is low alpha or not. most is sinkers from lake erie. any cheap way of testing this stuff ?
    them that dive will be the lucky ones !!

za
    Jun 2011

hi everyone, i have recovered 800lbs of LAL from shipwreck dating 1700. is in the form of ingots, they have been tested as well. i am looking for a buyer . contact me : robertocean@live.com

us
    Jun 2011

It's my understanding that there are only a handful of companies that are currently buying the stuff and they would be the only ones able to test the lead for purity and alpha content.
    Who did the tests for you?

Jun 2012

Low Alpha Lead

Is anyone still interested in buuying low alpha lead?

us
    Feb 2004
    lake mary florida
    Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
    54 times
    No one wants to pay more than scrap price for low alpha lead.best is to keep it to make bullets and dive and fishing weights.With the way tings are going in the world right now.The bullets are going to be worth a lot more than food.
    truckinbutch likes this.
    Millions of dollars of Spanish treasure await those who would dare brave the eye of the hurricane.

us
    May 2012
    Florida
    Minelab Explorer and Excalibur; Tesoro Tejon; Fisher 1265-X; Garrett Master Hunter; White's Coinmaster; In closet: Bounty Hunter and Relco
    163 times
    Water Hunting; Beachcombing; Relic Hunting; Shipwrecks
    Quote Originally Posted by ivan salis View Post
    good ole pegleg god rest his soul.
    I met Pegleg about 4-5 years ago-same year Odyssey Exhibit was at museum in Tampa. His enthusiasm and support for all treasure salvors made a good impression with me. I heard about his Treasure Expo online, planned a weekend trip with wife, taking an extra day off. We travelled from South Florida to Tampa for the Odyssey Exhibit; visited relatives in Orlando, then across the state to Cocoa. Also, I thought highly of Pegleg's wherewithall to assemble everyone for the Expo. Unfortunately, on arrival, someone failed him on getting other forms of advertising for the event and the turnout was not great. But it included the most important--many salvors who dedicated their time. Also, some volunteers failed to show. Once the wife and I arrived, my wife became their weekend volunteer, passing out tickets and such. We had a great time and Pegleg actually tipped me off on a local, turn-of-the-century land site where I could search and dig. Unfortunately, I never had time to pursue it, nor any other expos that may have been held in following years. One surprise, I saw Dell again, for the first time since about 1981 when he was an honorary member and guest speaker at our club/society called South Florida Historical Preservation Society-the first metal detecting club in Broward County, which at one time, was actually invited to dig on urban archeological sites across south Florida, both by city and counties invites. However, regarding the man-- I believe Pegleg left a good impression on many. R-I-P.

aq
    Mar 2012
    27 times
    The lead isotope assaying is done by a standard Lead Isotopic Ratio Package. Isotope ratios are measured using mass spectrometry, which separates the different isotopes of an element on the basis of their mass-to-charge ratio.

Just because it is from a shipwreck, does not mean it is low alpha. It may have been mined in an area with a high radioactive background. Remember, lead is depleted Uranium, so they are frequently found in the same locations. Radioactive dating measures the uranium vs lead, Pb206 is the final decay chain of U238, with a half life of 245,000 years. Pb207 from U235 and Pb 208 from Th232.

As of June 2012, depending on the lead isotope Pb204, 206, 207, or 208, the value ranges between $25 and $100/pound. (not in any order, but depending on the isotope)
    Pb204 is primordal lead, with no radioactive isotopes, standard lead is Pb208

It is difficult to refine to keep the contamination from affecting the isotope value, hence the extremes in value.

Good luck!
    Last edited by AUVnav; Jun 26, 2012 at 03:22 PM.

VOC
    gb
    Apr 2006
    Atlantic Ocean
    33 times
    Remember Lead is depleted Uranium ?

Thats a new one on me !
    Last edited by VOC; Jun 26, 2012 at 05:05 PM.

us
    It's dangerous to be right when those with a thimbleful of perceived authority are wrong.

Mar 2012
    Michigan
    White's MXT, DFX, GMT and Fisher F5
    121 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by VOC View Post
    Remember Lead is depleted Uranium ?
    Yeah... Kinda interesting statement.

aq
    Mar 2012
    27 times
    Yes, Lead is from depleted or decayed Uranium..this may help. While there is primordal lead, the most common is from radioactive decay.

When you look at a Lead sample from a spectrograph, it will give the amounts of the different isotopes.

Isotopes of lead - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Note from the table, you get down to Pb204 before it is stable, and others have common names such as Pb206 Radium G, or Pb207 Actinium D....
    Last edited by AUVnav; Jun 26, 2012 at 05:08 PM.

VOC
    gb
    Apr 2006
    Atlantic Ocean
    33 times
    I Learn something everyday, and that will do for today's !

Quote Originally Posted by AUVnav View Post
    Yes, Lead is from depleted or decayed Uranium..this may help. While there is primordal lead, the most common is from radioactive decay.

When you look at a Lead sample from a spectrograph, it will give the amounts of the different isotopes.

Isotopes of lead - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Note from the table, you get down to Pb204 before it is stable, and others have common names such as Pb206 Radium G, or Pb207 Actinium D....

aq
    Mar 2012
    27 times
    Kinda makes on think twice about that 800 pounds of lead in the garage doesnt it?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	589px-New_radiation_symbol_ISO_21482.svg.png 
Views:	514 
Size:	61.6 KB 
ID:	648785

It may be prudent to carry a rad badge...I have one on my drivers license (because I carry that everywhere) and one on my dive helmet. Although the only time I have been stopped is when the dogs at the airport pick up the cordex on the dive suit...
    Last edited by AUVnav; Jun 26, 2012 at 07:21 PM.
    Diggit likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Pirate of the Martires

Feb 2005
    Pinellas Park, Florida
    Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II
    167 times
    Shipwrecks
    Lead is NOT depleted uranium. I worked at the Y-12 weapons plant in Oak Ridge TN. We made all kinds of parts out of depleted uranium (D-38). It machines completely different than lead. When machining D-38 it must be kept submerged in coolant because it starts sparking. Lead is found in nature as lead oxide. Depleted uranium is much harder than lead.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsors