Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Low-alpha / antiquity lead

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    It's dangerous to be right when those with a thimbleful of perceived authority are wrong.

Mar 2012
    Michigan
    White's MXT, DFX, GMT and Fisher F5
    121 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by VOC View Post
    Remember Lead is depleted Uranium ?
    Yeah... Kinda interesting statement.

2. # ADS
    Ads

TreasureNet.com is the premier Treasure Hunting Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

aq
    Mar 2012
    26 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Yes, Lead is from depleted or decayed Uranium..this may help. While there is primordal lead, the most common is from radioactive decay.

When you look at a Lead sample from a spectrograph, it will give the amounts of the different isotopes.

Isotopes of lead - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Note from the table, you get down to Pb204 before it is stable, and others have common names such as Pb206 Radium G, or Pb207 Actinium D....
    Last edited by AUVnav; Jun 26, 2012 at 05:08 PM.

VOC
    gb
    Apr 2006
    Atlantic Ocean
    30 times
    I Learn something everyday, and that will do for today's !

Quote Originally Posted by AUVnav View Post
    Yes, Lead is from depleted or decayed Uranium..this may help. While there is primordal lead, the most common is from radioactive decay.

When you look at a Lead sample from a spectrograph, it will give the amounts of the different isotopes.

Isotopes of lead - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Note from the table, you get down to Pb204 before it is stable, and others have common names such as Pb206 Radium G, or Pb207 Actinium D....

aq
    Mar 2012
    26 times
    Kinda makes on think twice about that 800 pounds of lead in the garage doesnt it?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	589px-New_radiation_symbol_ISO_21482.svg.png 
Views:	483 
Size:	61.6 KB 
ID:	648785

It may be prudent to carry a rad badge...I have one on my drivers license (because I carry that everywhere) and one on my dive helmet. Although the only time I have been stopped is when the dogs at the airport pick up the cordex on the dive suit...
    Last edited by AUVnav; Jun 26, 2012 at 07:21 PM.
    Diggit likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Pirate of the Martires

Feb 2005
    Pinellas Park, Florida
    Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II
    126 times
    Shipwrecks
    Lead is NOT depleted uranium. I worked at the Y-12 weapons plant in Oak Ridge TN. We made all kinds of parts out of depleted uranium (D-38). It machines completely different than lead. When machining D-38 it must be kept submerged in coolant because it starts sparking. Lead is found in nature as lead oxide. Depleted uranium is much harder than lead.

aq
    Mar 2012
    26 times
    Well, I mixed the depleted and decayed with a bit of license....
    D-38 is technically "reactor depleted", relying on processed material, and reducing the amount of U238, which has a much shorter half life than other Uranium isotopes. This process occurs in nature, and in mining activity.

When you hear about radioactive dating of material, it is calibrated with the fixed ratio of Pb204 to the primordial amounts of the other lead isotopes and used as the baseline to estimate the extra amounts of radiogenic lead present in rocks as a result of decay from uranium and thorium.

In reality, primordal lead, ie 4.5 Billion years old, is not that common, with as you state, most lead in nature is an isotope, or oxide as you will, which has decayed from Polonium, Thallium, and Uranium.

I would note that DU, with the half life of U238, has spent the alpha radiation, but still emits overall radiation levels of around 60% of natural occurring Uranium.

Most commercial aircraft use DU as counterweight in the ends of the wings...should an aircraft crash, and burn...you have a serious emergency that very few, if any people, realize...

In ammunition, one of the factors was density, being almost 2 times as dense as lead, and on impact, the round would ignite. For small caliber ammunition, it was 'self-sharpening" meaning that it would not deform as lead, but would fragment, into sharp pieces.

Additional notes: I looked up reactor core. The core is made up of scintered uranium oxide, compressed with graphite and carbon. This is why DU from reactors is so dense and brittle.
    Last edited by AUVnav; Jun 28, 2012 at 09:29 AM. Reason: add info on DU

us
    Mar 2009
    guys can anyone point me in the direction of a current buyer for LAL? and give me a real value on this stuff? i've been interested in recovering some for years but with all the research i've done i never was able to make contact with a buyer. alot of the info out there is old so i'm curious as of july 2012 what the real deal is on this stuff. any help would be greatly appreciated pm or ncsurfer83@aol.com

Feb 2013
    are you still looking for low alpha lead? I have 2500 lbs of preWWII lead from a sloop keel

Jan 2013
    i have 2300 lbs 250 years very low alpha lead from a wreck 1760
    email lvisvanheemst@online.nl
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	foto (2).JPG 
Views:	90 
Size:	1.21 MB 
ID:	776041

th
    Nov 2010
    Thailand/Europe/California
    Excalibur 2 1000
    119 times
    Seems like a lot of people with lead, if they can be connected to buyers, that would be nice.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Sponsors