Captiva Island

theGOLD

Dec 6, 2006
Detector(s) used
JW Fisher 8x
I was in Captiva Island staying with a good friend this past weekend. Beautiful place and super laid back which I love. Just being there and seeing the small graveyard there reminded me of some of the tiny old gravesites in the Bahamas, and immediately made me think of all the ships that must have been wrecked in the area and subsequent history. Anyone have any interesting stories or legends or facts about Captiva Island or Buck Key (I think it is). thanks

-GOLD

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
captiva --is the current name used for the island since according to legend *-- which some believe and some don't --- that captives / (females) taken by pirates for ramsom where held upon the island. --- however shipwreck coinage is reportly found esp after strong storms

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was there in '75, the last ocean lot was for sale at $100,000. Should have bought it.

Periwinkle Park was the most expensive camp site on our trip, $6.

Of course, there are the Gasparilla legends. and maybe there are buried treasures on the formerly isolated islands.

OP
OP
theGOLD

theGOLD

Dec 6, 2006
Detector(s) used
JW Fisher 8x
Ive heard that there are indian mounds on Buck Cay? Any truth to it at all? Iv heard that there was a lot of Indian settlement there, but that Buck Cay was the first island to be settled and now its completely abandoned. It is a park now though, but I find it interesting that it was settled first but died out.

-GOLD

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
there are many old ghost towns in florida --some old indain -- some later spanish / english and even american

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread