Anyone know the status of the TH company "Visa Gold Explorations Inc., "

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
Re: Anyone know the status of the TH company "Visa Gold Explorations Inc., "

Goldfishhunter:

I stole "Splash" from Bob Marx when I was selling the first, numbered editions of Phil Olin's groundbreaking book Treasure; The Business and Technology. I put up the money to print it and part of my return was the first 100 copies, signed and numbered. I sold them as a package (with a letter from Phil, newsletter, etc.) and they (85 copies, if I remember correctly - I held back most of #'s 1 - 10, #13, etc.) went very quickly. I saw one change hands on eBay a few years ago at a very fancy price.

At that time I was selling books to a number of professional treasure hunters and Bob was on my list. I met him here in California when he was negotiating with the State of California to explore Drake's Bay for the lost galleon. Unfortunately, the State Archaeologist made it person that Mr. Marx was never going to get a permit (The Abandoned Shipwreck Act be d***'d!) and that most interesting portion of international maritime lore remains buried.

"Splash" seemed to fit this thread -

~The Old Bookaroo

SebastianSam

Jul 27, 2008
Fort Pierce, FL.
Detector(s) used
Lee Harding pulse

Ole Marx borrowed the "Splash" valediction from me years ago. I was using that in letters to Ed Link 40 years ago.

mariner

Apr 4, 2005

Vox,

You are wrong about documentation prior to 1545, and am surprised that you make such a definitive and incorrect statement about Spanish records.

I have lots of documents, for example, related to the expedition that Cortes sent into the Pacific in 1526 under the command of Saavedra Ceron. Some of these came from Seville and some came from Mexico City. They contain many details describing the construction of the ships and the equipment and supplies that were loaded on them.

In the case of the 1526 wreck off Cabo San Antonio, Cortes described it in his fifth letter to the Emperor, which he wrote later that year after returning to Mexico. Fifteen people out the eighty on board survived the shipwreck, and the losses included his cousinJuan de Avalos, who was in command of the ship. Cortes describes how the ship was carrying many breastplates,harquabuses, crossbows and other weapons, and I was hoping that if ADC had managed to go back and examine the wreck, some of these might have survived and could be used to identify the wreck.

By the way, you describe Cortes' expedition to Honduras as a failure, but I don't know what your basis is for saying this. The man he had sent there earlier to take control of the area, Cristobel de Olid, had been persuaded by the Governor of Cuba to set up an independent colony. Cortes went to Honduras mainly to put down that insurrection and restore his own authority, which he did. However, the expedition took its toll on Cortes personally, and had several consequences that were not good for him.

Also re your comment on ADC, it is true that Ernie Tapames managed the day to day operations of ADC, but Paulina Zelitski and her husband Paul owned the Company and dictated all policy, and she had a pretty formidable personality. If you look at any of the Internet postings or articles about ADC, I guarantee that they will all feature Paulina to the exclusion of almost everybody else.

Mariner

mariner

Apr 4, 2005

GFH,

Thanks for the info. I will contact Western Subsea. I know that ADC were using equipment from NuytCo in North Vancouver, but I did not realize they were also using some from Western. Those photographs sound very interesting. I was told that they had also found what they thought was another Cortes ship, this one containing a very rich cargo, along the south coast of Cuba in about 2,000 feet, and had photographed some bronze cannons off it, but I could never locate those photographs. I guess I was looking in the wrong place.

Mariner

The Hun

Dec 6, 2008
Hungary

I think that company was delisted from canadian company register in 2004.

mariner

Apr 4, 2005

The Hun,

Thanks for the info. I had tried to send an e-mail to Mike Muirhead, but it came back as being an invalid address. I will try to find another way of reaching him. You would not happen to know how to do so, would you?

Mariner

OldGold74

Jul 12, 2008
Detector(s) used
Minelab/Fisher/Aquapulse

Mariner I saw the photographs in person I was younger then and eager I can verify that I was told that it was around 2000 feet deep and that they had also located possible man made "Ruins" during the same surveys which I think I saw Paulina on the web with a big old rusty survey vessel and data pertaining to the so called "ruins" the photos of the wreck certainly had ornate cannon lying exposed/partial in deeper water.
If you are in Victoria you head under the bridge and he is located there I had a deep water site and asked him to assist with ROV work, it fell apart, this was 2004. he was a very polite guy, I beleive his next task at the time was to try locate a fur trading vessel sunk when the native indians attacked the crew up Vancouver island and the crew blew themselves up along with the indians, dont quote me. As for Splash, its fresh, something this forum needs, best GFH

OldGold74

Jul 12, 2008
Detector(s) used
Minelab/Fisher/Aquapulse

Hang five im looking in filofax, I think Hun means Visa Gold

OldGold74

Jul 12, 2008
Detector(s) used
Minelab/Fisher/Aquapulse

Western Subsea - I just PM`d you out of respect to the guy not having his details published, check your mail - Good Luck im off for a beer after cutting piles underwater all day the fillings hurt, have a good one
GFH

The Hun

Dec 6, 2008
Hungary

Mariner,

Unfortunately I dont know him.

I mentioned Gold Visa Expl. Inc., and here comes the board dierctor"s list:

Doug Lewis *Director of the Board
Ed Burtt *Director of the Board
Ed Svoboda *Director of the Board
Harold Hamilton *Director of the Board
Kasi Sethu Raman *Director of the Board
Paul Frustaglio *Director of the Board
*President
Primo Di Luca *Director of the Board
Roger Edward Dooley *Director of the Board
Simon Hodson *Director of the Board
Suzanne L. Wood

Vox veritas

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

mariner said:
Vox,

You are wrong about documentation prior to 1545, and am surprised that you make such a definitive and incorrect statement about Spanish records.

I have lots of documents, for example, related to the expedition that Cortes sent into the Pacific in 1526 under the command of Saavedra Ceron. Some of these came from Seville and some came from Mexico City. They contain many details describing the construction of the ships and the equipment and supplies that were loaded on them.

In the case of the 1526 wreck off Cabo San Antonio, Cortes described it in his fifth letter to the Emperor, which he wrote later that year after returning to Mexico. Fifteen people out the eighty on board survived the shipwreck, and the losses included his cousinJuan de Avalos, who was in command of the ship. Cortes describes how the ship was carrying many breastplates,harquabuses, crossbows and other weapons, and I was hoping that if ADC had managed to go back and examine the wreck, some of these might have survived and could be used to identify the wreck.

By the way, you describe Cortes' expedition to Honduras as a failure, but I don't know what your basis is for saying this. The man he had sent there earlier to take control of the area, Cristobel de Olid, had been persuaded by the Governor of Cuba to set up an independent colony. Cortes went to Honduras mainly to put down that insurrection and restore his own authority, which he did. However, the expedition took its toll on Cortes personally, and had several consequences that were not good for him.

Also re your comment on ADC, it is true that Ernie Tapames managed the day to day operations of ADC, but Paulina Zelitski and her husband Paul owned the Company and dictated all policy, and she had a pretty formidable personality. If you look at any of the Internet postings or articles about ADC, I guarantee that they will all feature Paulina to the exclusion of almost everybody else.

Mariner, I have possibly explained bad to myself. I don't say that there are not documents, I say that many have gotten lost and it is difficult to achieve a complete research, particularly in the section Contratacion. And for this shipwreck there are not documents in the AGI, because I looked for them but indeed, it is only mentioned in the letter of Cortés.
About the trip of Cortés to Honduras, the same as the historian Salvador Madariaga, I differ about the results. Cortés lost prestige and it got many enemies in Spain.

wreckdiver1715

Bronze Member
May 20, 2004
Satellite Beach
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Concerning Visa Gold Explorations. It should be noted here that while that company has failed (2005), due to unscrupulous stock brokers who gained control of the company and broke the law (May they rot in a cold Canadian prison).
The founder of the project is one of the most respected treasure hunters in the business. Ed is considered a friend too many of us at TreasureNet and we all wish him much success in the future. I personally believe that he is the best chance any treasure hunter has of gaining access to the wrecks in Cuban waters.

Tom

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,24313.0.html

The Hun

Dec 6, 2008
Hungary

Tom,

It seems some people couldn't agrer with you about Ed :
(old man said:)
"wreckdiver1715, I've spoken to Ed several times and I couldn't agree with you more. I've been trying for awhile to link up Ed with some honest investors to keep his project alive. I think that I've finally accomplished that task, as I have final meeting with with them in the near future. I've also been in contact with Ed's researcher and I believe tht he is one of the best in the business."

Does he(Ed) hunt nowadays?

mariner

Apr 4, 2005

Vox,

Thanks for the explanation. I agree with your re-statement of the problem about early documents.

As for Honduras, I am sure that Cortes refretted having to go there, and it was the beginning of the end for him, but he could not ignore Olid's treachery (even though it was only what he had himself done to Valesquez in claiming Mexico!)

Best wishes,

Mariner

The Hun

Dec 6, 2008
Hungary

Thanks Tom !

I am rookie in this field, can you explain me what is the different between good searcher and wrong searcher?
equipmment? historical knowledge? human skill or quality?

How could Ed became a good hunter?

wreckdiver1715

Bronze Member
May 20, 2004
Satellite Beach
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

There is no wrong searchers, just searchers who have not yet become finders. Ed Burtt is both, he continues the search, and he has had many successful searches (finds), in the past. So I would describe him as a successful treasure hunter already.
Most of shipwreck hunting is in the research, research, research! No need to have any equipment if you don't have the research done first. It's a big vast ocean out there, and you could easily shovel a tone of money over the side if you don't have a good idea of a general location. Even with relatively good research to back you up.

Tom

ping

Apr 6, 2005
Vancouver BC

Exercise caution with the ADC group.

The company was run by Ernesto Tapanes and Paulina Zelitsky. I heard some extremely unfavorable things from several contacts who worked with them.

Just google "Ernesto Tapanes" and you will get the idea.

Ping

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions