Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

jeff k

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2006
Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don... That info came from Harry Rieseberg, so I'd take it with a grain of salt.

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Hello Jeff:

Yes, Rieseberg wrote about the Santa Cruz, as did Potter. In Potter's book (1972) he noted: Besides Rieseberg's report, "Other reports from England place the ship's location twenty-five miles farther north in Cardigan Bay, and describe her cargo as being 220 chests of gold and 2 1/2 tons of silver worth $2,500,000."

The silver alone would be worth $1M today (assuming 92% pure and $13.25/oz.), and further assuming such a vessel existed and sank with that cargo.
Don..

OP
OP
R

rs3100

Jan 7, 2009
rubberdiver13 said:
do you have an underwater metal detector, i have a location in mind

I have access to all sorts of equipment.

However, I haven't found any proof, as yet, that the ship even existed.
There are a few sources out there, but, these are to be taken with some scepticism.

mad4wrecks

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2004
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, DetectorPro Headhunter, Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
There is an amazing book out, Treasure Hunt, by Peter Earle, that deals with 17th & 18th century English salvors, especially on wrecks around the British Isles. It is extremely well researched and written, and cites an incredible number of sources.

What is also neat too are the descriptions of the methods used to raise money and fund expeditions, the deals made for percentages with governments and leasholders and the various problems, failures and successes (they were sometimes incredibly successful using a diving bell and even giant "tongs") .....basically not much has changed in the business in 400 years!

I give it :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions