slave ship

Indiana_Jonz

Jun 10, 2004
Fl.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My partner has located a slave ship off the coast of Mexico in 40 feet of water. The shackles that were used to bind the slaves are rusted in place and dangling in the water as if held mysteriosly in suspension. I lived in Mexico for 2 years and know the various laws concerning salvage operations and treasure etc. but would any of you have input as to whether a Discovery Channel or Educational channel be interested in a documentary of this historic wreck?thanks

C

Charles,Oak Island

yes they would be very interested. On a side note I saw some of the shackles on ebay a couple of years ago. They went for big money.

D

diverdan007

WHAT PART OF MEXICO ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT?,HAVE YOU THOUGHT ABOUT WORKING WITH ONE OF SEVERAL MEXICAN AGENCYS? I HAVE LIVED AND DOVE FOR OVER 15 YEARS IN MEXICAN WATERS AND WOULD BE INTERESTED IN HEARING MORE.
D.D. [email protected]

coinshooter

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2003
So. Cal.
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I talked with a guy in San DIego this last week with the very same story. He said he had found a slave ship with all of the shackles still in place and said he did not touch it because of it's historical value. He had mentioned something about trying to find someone who would be interested too. Seems to me that Natl Geographic would be the ones to contact on something like this. Too bad it's in Mexican waters. You'll probably find the shackles for sale >:( in the local market soon if anyone saw you near this place for any length of time. 8)

This guy was very interesting and had many stories about his finds. He had about 100 rings on a chain on the table and showed me a large flat plate made of solid gold, rectangular in shape with a hole drilled on the end in the middle. There were no stamps. He said he got it off the same ship he had found a few cobs on. At first he couldn't figure out why they had made this. He then deduced the obvious. It was smuggled gold. The Spanish used to tax all gold by taking a small amount and then stamping it with the seal of the country. Many folks did not want to pay the tax, so they sewed it in their clothing to keep from paying the tax to the gov't.
This man also told me he didn't even own a detector, he had found all of these rings with just his diving skills and his eyes. I couldn't help but think of all the items he must have left behind! He also showed me a Platinum/Diamond and huge clean emerald ring he had found on a yacht that he said he ran into when he was searching for snaish ships. I guess rocks are not discrimnatory as to who they will sink. He was telling me the more modern yachets pay off quite well also. If I wasn't afraid of sharks, I would be more apt to be into doing this type of salvage work. Sounds like one of the last hidden frontiers. 8)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions