South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Chagy said:
Hello Cornelius,

My bad the word is; "rust" not "roost"

I was born in Miami Beach and was raised In Puerto Rico were I lived for 25 years and came back to Miami 13 years ago. My family is from Cuba so I speak English and Spanish, so if you ever need help with Spanish traslation I am your man. THing has been in my blood since I was 8 years old, my uncle started THing back in 1976 and I was always amazed by his recoveries and his stories. I am the young blood of the team, only one guy of the original team is THing full time (30 years of experiance) and helps me alot with my project. I also get lots of help from my good friend Salvor6 and another gentelman who I consider my good friend, teacher and Godfather in the THing business (lifestile) Mr. Don McKay.

Best,

Luis.............

Hey Chagy, Did you ever do any detecting in Cuba or Puerto Rico? They have so much history. ::)

wreckdiver1715

Bronze Member
May 20, 2004
Satellite Beach
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good morning back at ya Capt. How is life in your world today? I have to tell ya, I am always excited about the hunt over here on the beach side, and I know that the majority of the crews working the treasure coast are ramping up and always optimistic about the hunt. The weather is starting to cooperate, well, for the most part anyway. Yesterday evening brought a strong east wind that kicked up the surf conditions.
However, I am a little down for the folks that are not divers and only working the sand. I have to tell you, the Space & Treasure coast are not the place for beach hunters this season. There are still beach reclamation projects under way all up and down the coast, and I think it will be some time before things get back to where they need to be.
How about you Capt., you getting excited yet?

Q

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
=CaptainZossima link=topic=20140.msg237633#msg237633 date=1146052875]
have a plan I've been working on and I think I have stumbled onto something BIG. We'll see..lol!!
CapZ.
A) IF Tayopa pays off next month Bestest buddy -----hmmmmm?

But first I have to get Cromwell's ship started. it is broken up in 20-30 ft of sheltered water and parts are on the present sandy beach. Gold coins have been found on the beach.

Then there is the coastal treasure ship that was just loaded up with metal to go to Acapulco, which capsized in plain view just after it hoisted sail.

Course there is always the German WW-2 sub to play with, 80 + ft on a sandy bottom.

And for a wild one, the small ship off of La Paz that was loaded with small Gold Bars, McKay's dubious favorite once. sigh.

Plenty to do here Sossi bestest buddy, with no competition, and YES, permits can be gotten, at times very difficult but with a bit of Gold, much smoother.

Till Eulensiegle de La Mancha

Chagy

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2005
Florida
Detector(s) used
JW Fishers Pulse 8X
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
BIG C.:

MY PARENTS ARE FROM CUBA BUT I HAVE NEVER BEEN THERE, I CAME TO FLORIDA 13 YEARS AGO, I STARTED TREASURE HUNTING HERE IN FLORIDA, NO I HAVE NOT DONE ANY HUNTING IN PUERTO RICO, BUT I AM GOING IN JUNE, THEY DO HAVE GREAT PLACES TO HUNT.

I JUST GOT BACK FORM TREASURE COAST, AFTER 3 DAYS THIS IS WHAT WE FOUND, QUARTES,DIME,NICKLES,PENNYS,LUHR,SOMETHING INCRUSTED AND A CAR KEY, WE DIDNT FIND THE CAR BUT WE DID GET A NICE SUNTAN.

BEST,

CHAGY............

Chagy

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2005
Florida
Detector(s) used
JW Fishers Pulse 8X
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
SOME PICS

Attachments

• cartagena 088.jpg
    cartagena 088.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 1,989
  • cartagena 090.jpg
    cartagena 090.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 2,186
  • cartagena 088.jpg
    cartagena 088.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 1,914
  • cartagena 090.jpg
    cartagena 090.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 1,969

rgecy

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2004
Beaufort, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Sea Hunter Mk II
Chagy,
Nice finds. Let us know what is in the E.O. It looks like I see some iron, but the coral encrusted top could be anything. Having it x-rayed would be ideal but not all of us have connections to get that done. Let us know how you handle it and what you find. Maybe some hidden coins!

Good Luck,

Robert in SC

P

peg legged

Hi Everyone,
I am new to this forum but have been A hunter for over 50 years.
One thing I want to mention is that everyone wants to locate COINS and that is fine but there are also GEM STONES to be recovered and a MD won't do it and believe it or not there is treasure located in places other than on the beach. You must remember that the AIS Indians recovered more loot than the Spanish ever did. They even melted some of the silver in some of the iron pots they recovered from the beaches. I recovered such a pot and as soon as can I will send some photos. It seems that the iron pot got to hot and melted in with some of the silver. I recoved several pounds of silver from the melted iron but there is still a lot mixed with the iron.
I also recovered 2 large gem stones-natural and uncut. My wife put them somewhere and forgot where but in time she will find them. They are 99 carats each and are Sapphires.
I have walked the beaches most of my life and have found a number of things. When I was a small kid I used to find these black flat stones and would throw them back into the ocean. Guess what they were? Yep they were silver coins but at 9 years old who knew.
I was born in Titusville in 1937 so I know a lot about the Treasure Coast and the surrounding area including the St. Johns River and the different Indian tribes that used to live here and what they were involved in. Still learning.
Have a great day everyone.
Peg Leg

Chagy

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2005
Florida
Detector(s) used
JW Fishers Pulse 8X
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
peg legged

I have heard the stories of people throwing reales back into the water. Well now I know who it was.
Welcome to the forum.

True, and I couldn't agree more with you, the only problem is the private property and new construction.
Only few good areas left.

Best,

Chagy........

P

peg legged

Just purchased a new camera this afternoon. Now all I have tro do is learn how to use it.
I have a few items that will interest most every one here. The main item is where the indians were melting silver from the shipwrecks.
They were melting it in a cast iron pot and the silver and iron starting melting together. I also found some scattered silver where the charcoal used to be. This includes a bar that weights 4.7 pounds with iron mixed in. The iron pot handle or part of it. I was going to remelt the silver but though it looked better as is. I mounted everything in a green felt lined box with a lid so I can lock the thing up.
I treally enjoy everyone on his forum and the information is PRICELESS.

jeff k

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2006
Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Peg Leg... In what area did you find the melted silver? I did some research on the Ais Indians about 40 years ago, and I believe their main village was just below Vero Beach. You can find my research on my website, Florida's Fabulous Treasures. Just click on the website button to the left.

P

peg legged

Hi Jeff,
The area that I recovered the silver was near the St. Johns River and of course I cannot tell the exact location bevcause I am still working the area.
However there is a place on the St. Johns that is covered with layers of pottery sherds and I really mean LAYERS. I once recovered a pottery sherd that had an Aztec design. I took it to some

P

peg legged

I will finish the story since my cat unplugged my computer yesterday.
Unknown to most THs the St. Johns River was the main trade route for the Treasue Coast Indians. Starting just below Vero Beach all the way to Jacksonville. At one location I have found was what I consider a MAJOR trading location.
Here there is pottery sherds that include a number of Aztec pieces and other sherds. These items had to come from the Spainish wrecks or some even before that. This location is about 30 yards square and since the water is low right now you can see sherds in layers. I have never MD this location but will in the near future-you never know. I only use pottery sherds as a tool to tell me WHO was there and WHEN they were there. Not to far from this location there is a Cedar Hammock that I found to be a Major location or home site for the local tribe. Here I recovered a lot of charcoal piles. In one of the piles I saw something different. It looked like a piece of iron from a pot handle. As I started to remove the handle more iron appeared and mixed in with this iron was some silver. I slowed way down and started to pick this burn pile very carefully. I recovered what appeared to be a single bar of silver that weights a little over 4 pounds. It was in the shape of a laddle with iron embedded in the silver. At the bottom of this charcoal was what remained of an iron pot. The size of the pot was about 10" across with plenty of silver still there. I have not tryed to remove any of the silver cause I like it like it is. I have recovered more silver from the melting pile. I took a screen and sifted the material and recovered everything a could find.
This is the very first time I have even mentioned what I recovered and still I will NOT give the exact location. There are still PIRATES out there including the Government types. I do not work for the Government and am from the OLD school of Finders Keepers. I also DO NOT distroy anything and do not dig just to dig. I also do not disturb any mounds I locate. I record the locations and continue in my search. Who knows maybe someday my records may show a pattern to those in that field of interest.
I purchased a new camera yesterday, now all I have to do is learn how to use it and then how to post the photos on this forum .
Right now it is very dangerous to go to the St. Johns River. The water is very very low and there are thousands of Gators looking for something to eat and eggs are being laid also NEVER NEVER go anywhere alone. I always have 2 people with me and we are all ARMED.
HAVE A great DAY EVERYONE and if you must take a trip to the St. Johns go by Airboat and not a motor boat cause there are some gators out there bigger that any motor boat you can purchase or rent. Here is a little example. There is a Lake near Orlando called Lake Jessup that a few weeks ago was listed as having more gators that anywhere in Florida with the Exception of the St. Johns River. 2 weeks ago they killed a 13.5' gator that was consider MED. SIZE.
I love this forum.
PegLeg

Silvestri

Apr 29, 2006
suncoast sw florida
Detector(s) used
eyes in my head for now
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Peglegged,

That was a very interesting follow-up. I happen to agre with you on severalpoints you made. I hope you will MD the area once the rains push the gators back into the bush holes and off the main lanes of the SJR.Let us know about anything you find in those campsites. I suspect that campsites such as these would have been used for centuries if not millenia in some cases and would be of high research value.I am getting really interested in Old Florida these days...from the top to bottom....

Silver Striker

Aug 2, 2006
Melbourne, Florida
Re: comment from Itmaiden
"And don't forget the gators. Indian River bumps up against the beach with only thin land and A1A between."

I don't know. I lived on that small strip of land for about two years (in South Melbourne Beach) and also in IHB and Satellite Beach for many years and never once saw a gator in the ICW or on the beach. I think that is a very rare event, gators crossing over A1A. I've been living on the east coast of Florida almost my entire life and have only heard of two gators spotted on the beach, over the course of my 42 years. The only place I've personally seen a wild gator was in Lake Washington, never on beachside. I'm not saying that it can't happen, but the odds of you finding a cache of gold and jewels are much higher than a gator finding you, IMHO. Now jellyfish and sharks are another matter altogether. I'd definitely wear shoes or flip flops when beach hunting and keep your eyes out for any "clear bubbles", being careful not to step on them. I've seen lots of jellyfish on the beaches. Also, stay out of the water, unless you are very experienced. SS

jeff k

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2006
Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can someone tell me what the standard split is when sub contracting with the Mel Fisher Center?

mad4wrecks

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2004
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, DetectorPro Headhunter, Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
The state of Florida gets up to 25%, right off the top. From my experience, they usually do not take this much. The Mel Fisher Center sends them a list of evrything found each year and the state gets first choice. Everything after that is split 50/50 with the Mel Fisher Center, unless some type of amendment was made to their standard contract.

From my past experiences, it is a very informal process, with all of the artifacts and treasure laid out on a table and Taffi swapping picks with the subcontractor. There is room for negotiating.

The only drawback that I am aware of, is that they get to hold on to, examine and appraise the artifacts and treasure during the year or so it takes from when you turn the items in to when the division is held. Taffi usually has a pretty good idea in advance of the value of the items and which ones are most desireable.

jeff k

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2006
Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So if Jeff Milne and Admiralty also split 50/50, then Admiralty winds up with about 20%. :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions