Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
peg legged said:
I will finish the story since my cat unplugged my computer yesterday.
Unknown to most THs the St. Johns River was the main trade route for the Treasue Coast Indians. Starting just below Vero Beach all the way to Jacksonville. At one location I have found was what I consider a MAJOR trading location.
Here there is pottery sherds that include a number of Aztec pieces and other sherds. These items had to come from the Spainish wrecks or some even before that. This location is about 30 yards square and since the water is low right now you can see sherds in layers. I have never MD this location but will in the near future-you never know. I only use pottery sherds as a tool to tell me WHO was there and WHEN they were there. Not to far from this location there is a Cedar Hammock that I found to be a Major location or home site for the local tribe. Here I recovered a lot of charcoal piles. In one of the piles I saw something different. It looked like a piece of iron from a pot handle. As I started to remove the handle more iron appeared and mixed in with this iron was some silver. I slowed way down and started to pick this burn pile very carefully. I recovered what appeared to be a single bar of silver that weights a little over 4 pounds. It was in the shape of a laddle with iron embedded in the silver. At the bottom of this charcoal was what remained of an iron pot. The size of the pot was about 10" across with plenty of silver still there. I have not tryed to remove any of the silver cause I like it like it is. I have recovered more silver from the melting pile. I took a screen and sifted the material and recovered everything a could find.
This is the very first time I have even mentioned what I recovered and still I will NOT give the exact location. There are still PIRATES out there including the Government types. I do not work for the Government and am from the OLD school of Finders Keepers. I also DO NOT distroy anything and do not dig just to dig. I also do not disturb any mounds I locate. I record the locations and continue in my search. Who knows maybe someday my records may show a pattern to those in that field of interest.
I purchased a new camera yesterday, now all I have to do is learn how to use it and then how to post the photos on this forum .
Right now it is very dangerous to go to the St. Johns River. The water is very very low and there are thousands of Gators looking for something to eat and eggs are being laid also NEVER NEVER go anywhere alone. I always have 2 people with me and we are all ARMED.
HAVE A great DAY EVERYONE and if you must take a trip to the St. Johns go by Airboat and not a motor boat cause there are some gators out there bigger that any motor boat you can purchase or rent. Here is a little example. There is a Lake near Orlando called Lake Jessup that a few weeks ago was listed as having more gators that anywhere in Florida with the Exception of the St. Johns River. 2 weeks ago they killed a 13.5' gator that was consider MED. SIZE.
I love this forum.
PegLeg
Nice post PegLeg.I'm looking forward to the photos.I wish you luck in your endeavors.

Chagy said:
peg legged

I have heard the stories of people throwing reales back into the water. Well now I know who it was.
Welcome to the forum.

True, and I couldn't agree more with you, the only problem is the private property and new construction.
Only few good areas left.

Best,

Chagy........
Don't you just love urban sprawl? A good point indeed.You think it's bad up there,you should be down here.One big slab of concrete from the beach to the Everglades.Palm Bch.county on down to Dade.And heading your way!

OP
OP
Blacksheep 6

Blacksheep 6

Aug 10, 2005
Southeastern Sector
Hell...if were gonna start going again on the 1715 Fleet with viable info and updates...might as well do it on the one I started a while ago...you up to that Diverlynn??? And Wreckdiver did you see my reply ref. OMR on the other thread??

Good Hunting to all...

OP
OP
Blacksheep 6

Blacksheep 6

Aug 10, 2005
Southeastern Sector
Diverlynn...

As I mentioned before...with you down there "on station" you're our MOST reliable and accurate source of info and updates...please feel free to post what you can here and help keep the 1715 Fleet high here in the search list for others to enjoy...the possible pistol pics on the other thread were great...Safe Seas and Good Hunting!!!

OP
OP
Blacksheep 6

Blacksheep 6

Aug 10, 2005
Southeastern Sector
.......OMR.......

Anyone else besides myself and Wreckdiver1715 invested in OMR??? Great day today if you are...If not...possibly consider entering a long position after it pulls back a tad...these guys surely do deliver...

wreckdiver1715

Bronze Member
May 20, 2004
Satellite Beach
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It wasn't a month or so ago that no one but Jeff K, and I were being publicly ridiculed for being conspirators in bed with Greg Stem. Oh yea! Those guys, just when things were getting back to normal at the ole shipwreck site.
A shame, There could have been many more of us at treasureNet that would have a very good reason to celebrate with Wreckdiver1715, Jeff K and Blacksheed 6. We did very good today. A better than 80 percent gain on an investment is a very Good thing for ones portfolio at the end of the day.
Now this is going to take us back into the HMS Sussex topic, and that's a good thing.
I just hope that everyone will be civil during this debate.

Respectively submitted

Tom

OK! time to light up the ole el presidente ;)

OP
OP
Blacksheep 6

Blacksheep 6

Aug 10, 2005
Southeastern Sector
Wreckdiver...

I would have to search back through the posts but I'm assuming you were labeled as a "pumper" of the stock and company (ohhh the good old days of yahoo stock message boards)...some people just don't know when they're sitting on a good thing...I have been invested in OMR since they went public...and I must say I have not been disappointed in the long run...as I said before I'm averaged in @ 2.78...with multiple buys (both high and low) to come to that...but these guys are the shits (PLEASE don't take offense Diverlynn!!) at least as traded companies go, in respects to Marine salvage...we'll laugh last...and as far as anyone reading this thread...DO NOT BUY NOW...let it setttle back down from this spike and then make a play...gaps ALWAYS backfill...Good Hunting to all...

Larsmed

Jan 10, 2007
Greencovesprings, Florida
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sandshark, bh jr.
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
everybody has a dream. My dream would be to find just one reale to make me happy. I dont care if it took me days to find it. I say we get a bunch of us together and take the treasure coast by storm with our detectors!! If I can get my hands on a sea hunter, and my snorkel , then i can really get down to bizness.

deepsix47

Jul 26, 2006
Detector(s) used
Fisher Impulse, Fisher CZ-21, Minelab X-Terra 70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
itmaiden said:
Hi Blacksheep,

I am another 1715 Fleet Researcher. However, I have found quite a bit of misinformation out here as well. Some things did not match up when I got out to the sites as well.

I am looking for serious honest partners to team up for fun, relaxation and serious treasure hunting on the Treasure Coast.

Partners must be willing to split all finds or the value of such if sold 50/50 regardless of which partner member makes the find.
Teamwork is the only way to make money on the treasure coast. And teams are important for safety.

Anyway, you should know that I have run across some interesting experiences and information on the coast. The South Beaches are heavily scrutinized by local police, and there is a lack of public trust there as well. The North Beaches are free to roam with the exception of obeying any laws regarding sea grass preservation (stay off the dunes), and areas that may be off limits in certain seasons such as animal santuaries.

I've spoke with a number of entities in that area to protect myself legally, and can't seem to gain credible information that matches up. The Indian River Sheriffs office tells me that there are no restrictions on the public beaches.

The problem is a lack of signs so you know where you are at in terms of state park boundaries, federal land boundaries etc.

The beaches are all leagal to work from the dune line to the waterline, even in the park.

Any confrontations with local property owners can easily be handled by merely informing them to leave you alone and walk away (of course you can be praying that the idiot tells you that you are under arrest and/or puts their hands on you. You could in those instances soon become the proud owner of a beach side estate....lol).

You will also find that when most of us go out in groups it's pretty much finders keepers, possibly sharing some expenses but each keeping what they find.

It's pretty much just exercise to work the commonly known Treasure Coast beaches unless a good storm comes through. Where are other lesser know sites that are productive? They are there but you learn about them by paying your dues, researching and putting in your time on the beaches.

The biggest things to remember are to stay out of the water, off of the dunes, don't climb up on anyones precious seawall and stay clear of any Sea Turtle Nests. By the way, the big reason for the extra police patrols on the south beaches is the high crime in the area, much of it drug related.

We have hunted the 1715 beaches for many years both on shore and off. There is plenty of good solid information available both here on this forum and in printed form that can be easily purchased. I wish you the very best in your Th'ing.
Deepsix

J

jeffthecyclist

Re: .......OMR.......

Blacksheep 6 said:
Anyone else besides myself and Wreckdiver1715 invested in OMR??? Great day today if you are...If not...possibly consider entering a long position after it pulls back a tad...these guys surely do deliver...

No...I invested in Admiralty Corporation instead since they were developing some new technology and were helping out in the 1715 area. I saw a picture of the gold bar they found but that is the extent of it before they went belly up. Would have been better off blindly sending fuel money down to the contractors. Heck - I could have made more by buying lots of beer and recycling the aluminuminumum. ;D

keegah

Mar 26, 2007
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT/Fisher Impulse/eyes + hands
had a bad experience today. i'm a long time diver and florida res(27 yrs), but just got into th'ing. was down on colored beach and saw that someone has been digging in the dunes. folks, i may be new to md'ng, but destruction of my island will not be tolerated. when greed for gold surpasses respect for the planet then it's gone too far. the state for all its faults (beach renourishment, etc) has been trying to do some quality dune restoration w/ sea oats and sea grapes and some slob comes along and digs it up to get some booty. i for one will get some booty if i catch anyone doing this. this is the kind of thing that will get MDing banned. newbie out

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Colored Beach has been dug up and re-dug up in the past. I hope the new man-made dunes with sea oat plantings in front of the new homesites will take hold and offer some storm protection. They certainly wont find anything in these newly constructed dunes. It is unlawful to destroy any beach vegetation and holes on the beach should be filled.

Trez

May 10, 2006
Treasure Coast (Vero Beach) to Sebastian
Detector(s) used
Sov Elite, CZ20, Minelab Sovereign XS, Explorer II, My eyeballs to bloody fingers have done me well also.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
keegah said:
had a bad experience today. I'm a long time diver and florida res(27 yrs), but just got into th'ing. was down on colored beach and saw that someone has been digging in the dunes. folks, i may be new to md'ng, but destruction of my island will not be tolerated. when greed for gold surpasses respect for the planet then it's gone too far. the state for all its faults (beach renourishment, etc) has been trying to do some quality dune restoration w/ sea oats and sea grapes and some slob comes along and digs it up to get some booty. i for one will get some booty if i catch anyone doing this. this is the kind of thing that will get MDing banned. newbie out

Can we move this to the rant forum?
I would like to reply to the "My Island" comment for starters, after that I will really get into this posting by keegah. You really think that is going to get MD'ing banned from our beaches, I'll wait and tell you what will.

bad experience...I love it when someone tells me, it's my Island when I'm hunting behind their homes on the beach...it gets fun for me.

Don't get me wrong, I respect the beach first and utmost well before I would someone that says "My Island" they are truly looking for a bad 1715 Fleet experience.
Trez

keegah

Mar 26, 2007
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT/Fisher Impulse/eyes + hands
Didn't mean to rant. Just upset when i see this type of behavior. It's like gut shooting a deer and not wanting to spend the time to track it down.It just shows disrespect for Mother Nature."My" means ownership and hence stewardship. I'm a long time outdoorsman and pick up trash everytime i go out, of course i would rather be carrying gold and silver but i always end up w/beer cans. Hmmm, maybe i'll rename myself "The Beercan Hunter". Sorry if i offended anybody, i'll keep my opinions to myself from now on.Peace

deepsix47

Jul 26, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
keegah said:
Didn't mean to rant. Just upset when i see this type of behavior. It's like gut shooting a deer and not wanting to spend the time to track it down.It just shows disrespect for Mother Nature."My" means ownership and hence stewardship. I'm a long time outdoorsman and pick up trash everytime i go out, of course i would rather be carrying gold and silver but i always end up w/beer cans. Hmmm, maybe i'll rename myself "The Beercan Hunter". Sorry if i offended anybody, i'll keep my opinions to myself from now on.Peace

Nahhhhhhh, don't do that. Diverse opinions make for an interesting world.

As you are new you merely used a poor choice of words....lol. We've been fighting the "My Island, My Beach, My Ocean" mentality for years. This syndrome has manifested itself many times specifically on the 1715 Treasure Beaches to those of us that have worked them for years. It is not however limited to them by any means.

You keep right on hanging in there, Th'ing, and posting your opinions.

Well, that having been said I'm being called to dinner. My girlfriend is fixing up lobster tails that came from MY OCEAN (there is more then just gold and silver on those 1715 reefs) and ribeyes that came from MY local supermarket....lmao!!!!

Have a great day and super Th'ing.
Deepsix

BobE

Greenie
May 15, 2007
While detecting on the Treasure Coast April 1, 2007 I observed two detectorist digging a huge hole at least a foot and a half deep near the dune above the normal high tide mark. They checked the hole, pulled out some trash and moved on. I caught up with them and recommended that they refill their holes especially above the normal high tide line or else we might loose the privilege of detecting on the beach. They agreed and went back and refilled the hole.

We have a similar problem in Connecticut with detectorist detecting farm fields and leaving huge holes. As a result some of this land is off limit to detectorist.

Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Homebuilt pulse loop
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
keegah said:
"My" means ownership and hence stewardship.

Bravo, keegah. Trez is entitled to his own nitpicking (did you really think keegah thought it legally belonged to him?), but I'm glad to see someone actually take ownership. I think ownership is what built America. Waiting on everyone else to do something gets us nowhere. Keegah - stay the course!

deepsix47

Jul 26, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Darren in NC said:
keegah said:
"My" means ownership and hence stewardship.

Bravo, keegah. Trez is entitled to his own nitpicking (did you really think keegah thought it legally belonged to him?), but I'm glad to see someone actually take ownership. I think ownership is what built America. Waiting on everyone else to do something gets us nowhere. Keegah - stay the course!

Don't be to hard on Trez. The "My this and My that" thing is in reality a serious one. It heats up every year along the 1715 beaches and there have been countless confrontations with property owners that feel they own both the beaches as well as the ocean out to an infinite horizon.

Have a good one.
Deepsix

Trez

May 10, 2006
Treasure Coast (Vero Beach) to Sebastian
Detector(s) used
Sov Elite, CZ20, Minelab Sovereign XS, Explorer II, My eyeballs to bloody fingers have done me well also.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
[/Bravo, keegah. Trez is entitled to his own nitpicking (did you really think keegah thought it legally belonged to him?), but I'm glad to see someone actually take ownership. I think ownership is what built America. Waiting on everyone else to do something gets us nowhere. Keegah - stay the course!
[/quote]

Yes, Darren I actually thought keegah actually legally owed it. ;)
Thanks for your response, always appreciated from someone who lives on the "Treasure coast".

Deepsix gets it... :)

Trez

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread