Recovering used alcohol

gldhntr

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2004
i thought you were interested in wringing out my old drunk uncle......glad your not......with the evaporative rate of alcohol being as fast as it is i wouldn't know where to start on figuring this one out.........gldhntr

gldhntr

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2004
no cornelius, i was trained in taking care of what came out of the still. my uncle just hauled it and accidently drank alot along the way........i do know about keeping it at an even 136 degrees though.....there are stills made out of crock pots on several sites if you google white liquor or moonshine........the foxfire books also tell you how to build a serious still , along with the mash and processes...it would make sense that it would work in this case, just be careful with the temp.........gldhntr

bafromkc

Greenie
Jan 17, 2005
Live in Osege Beach, MO to be close to Son, his Wi
Detector(s) used
Fisher 555-D, several White's models, a couple more Fisher's, and now my main detector is the GREATEST - EVER: A Minelab CTX-3030 !
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here's the problem as I see it. It's illegal to distill ethanol. Which is most likely what you're using. Which IS what you're going to get, even if you use denatured alcohol to start; to do your drying. Your "still", properly monitored, will at best only produce 90% - 95% pure ethanol, (and leave the denaturing additives behind). Which is illegal in the United States without proper licensing. Not to mention, extremely flammable and dangerous to do. (This is why it's illegal)...

Here's some information regarding the dangers of this chemical, taken directly from the MSDS for denatured alcohol.

INHALATION: Irritating to upper respiratory tract. Remove patient to fresh air. If not breathing, give artificial respiration. If breathing is difficult, give oxygen. Seek medical attention immediately

INGESTION: Poisonous, may damage central nervous system and internal organs and cause blindness. DO NOT induce vomiting. Have conscious person drink several glasses of water or milk. Never give anything by mouth to an unconscious person. Lower the head so that vomit will not re-enter the mouth and throat. Seek medical attention immediately.

EYE CONTACT: Irritating, can cause colour blindness. Check for and remove any contact lenses. Rinse eyes for at least 20 minutes with cold water. Seel medical attention immediately.

SKIN CONTACT: Only hazardous with prolonged contact. Wash immediately with plenty of water for at least 20 minutes. Thoroughly clean contaminated clothing and shoes before re-use. Seek medical attention.

OTHER HEALTH INFORMATION:
Potential Acute health effects: Very hazardous in case of eye contact (irritant), ingestion or inhalation. hazardous in case of skin contact (permeator). Slightly hazardous in case of skin contact (irritant). Severe over-exposure can result in death. Inflammation of the eye is characterized by redness, watering and itching.
Potential Chronic health effects:
Carcinogenic effects: Classified A4 by ACGIH (for ethyl alcohol) - (Not Classifiable for human or animal)
Mutagenic effects: Not available
Teratogenic effects: Not available
Developmental toxicity: Not available
This substance is toxic to the liver. Repeated or prolonged exposure can produce target organs damage. Repeated exposure to a highly toxic material may produce general deterioration of health by an accumulation in one or many organs.
LC50/LD50:

Section V - FIRE AND EXPLOSION HAZARDS

FLASH POINT & METHODS USED: 12oC (53.6?F) - closed cup

FLAMMABLE LIMITS IN AIR; % BY VOL. LOWER: Ethyl alcohol: 4.3%; Methyl alcohol: 6%

FLAMMABLE LIMITS IN AIR; % BY VOL. UPPER: Ethyl alcohol: 19%; Methyl alcohol: 36.5%

SPECIAL FIRE FIGHTING PROCEDURES & PRECAUTIONS: Flammable liquid soluble or dispersed in water. For Small Fire - use dry chemical powder. For Large Fire - use alcohol foam, water spray or foam. Cool containing vessels with water jet in order to prevent pressure build-up, autoignition or explosion. Vapours from this product may travel or be moved by air currents and ignited by pilot lights or other flames, sparks, heaters, electrical equipment, static discharges or other ignition sources.

FIRE HAZARD: Flammable in presence of open flames and sparks. Slightly flammable to flammable in the presence of oxidizing materials.

EXPLOSION HAZARDS: Explosive in presence of open flames and sparks.

CONTROL MEASURES: In case of spill, shut off all sources of ignition. Small spills may be run to waste with plenty of water. Large spills should be transferred to a salvage container. Seek the advice of a professional chemical disposal service. Contact local authorities if spill has entered surface drains or sewers.

RESPIRATORY PROTECTION: Use organic vapour cartridge or self contained breathing apparatus if handling large quantities (use self contained breathing appartatus if concentration is above 1000 ppm).

PROTECTIVE CLOTHING: Wear protective gloves (neoprene, rubber or butyl gloves are recommended).

EYE PROTECTION: Wear approved safety goggles if splashing is likely. Ensure that eyewash station and safety showers are available.

EXPOSURE LIMITS:

Ethyl Acetate TWA 400 ppm from ACGIH (TLV) (US)
TWA 1440 ppm from ACGIH (TLV) (US)
Ethyl Alcohol TWA 1000 ppm from ACGIH (TLV) (US)
TWA 1000 ppm from OSHA (PEL) (US)
TWA 1900 mg/m3 from ACGIH (TLV) (US)
TWA 1880 mg/m3 from OSHA (PEL) (US)
Methanol TWA 200 ppm from ACGIH (TLV) (US) SKIN
TWA 260 ppm from ACGIH (TLV) (US) SKIN
Methyl Ethyl Ketone TWA 590 STEL 885 mg/m3 from ACGIH (TLV) (US)
TWA 200 STEL 300 ppm from ACGIH (TLV) (US)

Section VIII - ENVIRONMENTAL PROTECTION

ENVIRONMENTAL PRECAUTIONS: Use with adequate ventilation, local exhaust is acceptable. When transferring between metal containers, ground both vessels.

SPILL OR LEAK PRECAUTIONS: Shut off all possible sources of ignition. Wear protective gloves, use respirator if large quantities are involved of if working in a poorly ventilated area

WASTE DISPOSAL: Small amounts can be run to waste with plenty of water. Large amounts should be disposed of in an incineration facility equipped with an afterburner and scrubber. Consult local, provincial and federal regulations.

I'm wondering, what have you been doing with your "good supply" of water-laden alcohol up 'till now? You should have taken the entire mixture to a licensed drop off to be recycled properly and certainly not just poured down the drain.

And, don't have any cold medicine, drain cleaner, or matches in your house. When the Feds pull up to investigate (the fire or the smell) You'll probably be charged with conspiracy to manufacture methamphetamine, a scheduleII drug. (Drugs on this schedule include):
Cocaine
Methylphenidate (Ritalin)
Most pure opioid agonists: Pethidine (INN) or meperidine (USAN), fentanyl, opium, oxycodone, morphine
Short-acting barbiturates such as secobarbital
Methamphetamine
PCP was originally in Schedule IV and used for both human and veterinary anaesthesia but was discontinued from human use because of hallucinations following treatment and because of its undesirably long half-life. It was moved to Schedule II in 1978.
Amphetamines, except for injectable methamphetamine, were originally placed in Schedule III, but was moved to Schedule II in 1971. Injectable methamphetamine has always been in Schedule II.

You'll probably beat this charge in court, but you'll still have to post bond based on these, greater, charges.

Oh yeah, as gldhntr says, be careful with the temp...it's 136 degrees?!

Good answer, huh?

gldhntr

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2004
kansas city, if you are able to answer all questions with this amount of info i have many questions for you !! ha......i thought i was the only person that researched every aspect of things before jumping in.................you are the man........................................gldhntr

cryptodave

Aug 25, 2005
Currituck County, NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab
And that, ladies and gentlemen, is preciously why you don't smoke in a paint factory.... lol

This should be combined with the cigar thread, everyone could get a "bang" out of it. lol

Ah well, I know their bad, but with a hurricane coming at me, something has got to make me laugh. ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread