Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Re: Muntz's Patent Birmingham stamp on Ship's fastener

Muntz Metal Co., Elliot Road, Selly Oak, Birmingham, started c1829 as G F Muntz of Water Street, Birmingham, then French Walls Works, Alma Street, Smethwick, Staffordshire. George Muntz's 1832 patent for 60/40 brass ship sheathing sheet was the basis of the firm's success. The alloy is excellent for casting and can be hot rolled to a relatively thin gauge. With a high content of zinc, it is cheaper than pure copper. It is still specified for the restoration of the 1869 'Cutty Sark' tea clipper in London. The company was taken over by ICI Metals Division (IMI). Company papers from 1863-1928 are lodged with Birmingham Central Library covering their business also making copper and brass tube.
Source: http://www.oldcopper.org/marks me-mz.htm

Consolación Diver

Apr 29, 2007
Tampa, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Hi,

Maybe try to track down the biography of George Frederick Muntz written by C. Carlos Flick (1975): Muntz Metal and Ships' Bottoms,The industrial career of G.F. Muntz (1794-1857)

I would think his biography would have information about the company and where the sheathing, bolts, and fasteners they produced were shipped to and for how many years they were used.

I was looking through a book called Ship's Fastenings written by Michael Mccarthy. It doesn't say much other than Muntz's discovery of a copper and zinc alloy (Muntz metal, 60% copper and 40% zinc) was designed for creating a better sheathing, but that he took out a patent for bolts and fasteners made of the same material in 1832.

Good luck

Unicorn

Nov 18, 2007
Birmingham
Primary Interest:
Other

Birmingham City (my home Town) was once known as the City of a thousand industries. Surrounding the City on the one side, is called The Black Country, named of course by the smoke and dirt that came from the chimneys from these industries. All this is changed of course since the "clean air bill" came into effect. B.S.A. and Dunlop are but two of these former industries. Most all of the factories produced arms during World War 11, thus making it a City that was much bombed, together with Coventry an adjoining City. There is also a Muntz Street in Birmingham, named after your above post....... just a little piece I thought you might like to know. :icon_scratch:

pcolaboy

Sep 5, 2006
Pensacola, Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS

That large piece that you have is what I believe is called a drift pin used to connect the framing to the deck joists. I have one of those that I found in an old ship yard trash pile. Good luck on identifying your wreck.

Pcola

OP
OP
Whittman

Whittman

Oct 4, 2005
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
JW Fishers

Thanks for your help.

Top Member Reactions