Cheap magnetometer, what is the potential of having a 2 box waterproof detector?

mad4wrecks

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2004
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, DetectorPro Headhunter, Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Why would you want to?

Even an average quality proton magnetometer is much more sensitive and has a far better range than any two box detector for finding ferrous material.

The Aqapulse detector with the 15 inch coil would reach as deep or probably deeper than a "waterproofed two box."

JW Fisher makes a decent boat towed pulse induction metal detector.

Geometrics, JW Fisher, Aquascan International and Quatrosensing all make some good diver held magnetometers.

ToyMan

Jul 25, 2005
The TF 900 is a VLF machine. It would work OK in fresh water but not so good in salt water. Better bet would be a Pulse Induction machine. Best bet would be a proton mag as others have stated here.

OP
OP
sabre15

sabre15

Dec 14, 2008
Tampa Bay Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
Discovery TF 900
The reason i ask is that I plan on walking through a swamp area with areas deep as maybe 1 foot of water and wanted to know if it would work.

mad4wrecks

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2004
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, DetectorPro Headhunter, Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
That's not what your original post said. :icon_scratch:

I am wondering if you could or if someone has tried to waterproof a 2 box detector for diving instead of using a mag behind a boat. Could you use a basic Discovery TF 900 or similar product and waterproof its control box and scuba with it in the ocean environment?

OP
OP
sabre15

sabre15

Dec 14, 2008
Tampa Bay Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
Discovery TF 900
I meant it as a 2 part question, ultimately it would be great for the ocean but there are more suitable things for doing so, at the same time i am researching some land/swamp sites and wonder if it would get the same type of readings or would the water throw it out of wack.

rgecy

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2004
Beaufort, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Sea Hunter Mk II
Sabre,

The Pulse Star II is a PI unit with a large coil and will go very deep as well. This would probably be your best bet for a marsh or even sand dunes/beach. The coil is submersible/waterproof, but the housing is not.

There is some debate on weather or not the discrimination on the Pulse Star II is accurate, but it defintely is a good deep seeking PI detector.

Good Luck,

Robert

OP
OP
sabre15

sabre15

Dec 14, 2008
Tampa Bay Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
Discovery TF 900
I have a minelab excalib 2, i just dont know how deep it will go. As submersible its 200 feet.

rgecy

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2004
Beaufort, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Sea Hunter Mk II
sabre15 said:
I have a minelab excalib 2, i just dont know how deep it will go. As submersible its 200 feet.

The Puse Star has a 40" x 40" coil that will detect down to 10'+. Of course it depends on the size of the object. I didn't think you were looking for something to go down 200' underwater. Even so, it has a 150' cable if you want to tow or drop it down.

OP
OP
sabre15

sabre15

Dec 14, 2008
Tampa Bay Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
Discovery TF 900
No, i am hoping the deepest area will be around 40', i just was trying to be cheap, but for land I think a 2 box is the way to go, you should be able to get the coils wet as long as the units box is kept dry. Or am i wrong?

Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Homebuilt pulse loop
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
It would be hard to get the coils wet and not the control unit. Also, the PulseStar is okay, but it doesn't go 10'+ as advertised...unless you're looking for a German tank. But for regular items the size of a paint can or smaller, it will go about 4-5' tops. The discrim isn't that good on it. Keep in mind if it's a pile of gold bars, it will only detect one bar in the pile at a time, not the whole pile. This is the same with a stash of coins - it only detects the surface area of one coin at a time.

Best,
Darren

Attachments

• TF900.jpg
    TF900.jpg
    8.5 KB · Views: 1,197
OP
OP
sabre15

sabre15

Dec 14, 2008
Tampa Bay Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
Discovery TF 900
Darren, what do you think about the TF900? Will it do what I want in a swamp as long as it stays out of the water?

Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Homebuilt pulse loop
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I don't see why not if you're in shallow water. Brackish or salt water will be a problem for this machine, but not for a pulse induction unit. Shallow freshwater should be fine. My recommendation is that you become proficient with it on land before trying it out in the water. Like all detectors, it takes practice to learn what it's trying to tell you, but this is more true with a two-box. Digging in a swamp environment would be a hard place to learn. Bring an intertube or friend with you to help keep things dry. All the best to your venture.

Darren

rgecy

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2004
Beaufort, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Sea Hunter Mk II
Granted Darren, the Pulse Star would have to have a large target to see 10' but so would a two box. And it wouldn't have to be a Sherman Tank! Small Cannon maybe!

Robert

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions