august 15th 1628 dutch admiral ita burns -spanish treasure vessel 1 mile off fla

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
after taking the 2 main hondurain treasure fleet vessels -- the ST JAGO (which was taken and stripped of treasure and burnt on the spot) and the NUESTRA SENORA DE LOS REMEDIOS--dutch admiral pieter ita retired toward florida to repair his damaged vessels and water up for the long trip home -- however the treasure galleon was leaking too badly to make it back to holland so ita stripped what he could putting it on his dutch vessels and on august 15th, 1628 (1 mile off the florida coast) he set fire to the NUESTRA SENORA DE LOS REMEDIOS -- now THE BIG QUESTION IS THIS was ita able to transfer all the NUESTRA SENORAS DE LOS REMEDIOS treasure upon his vessels? and if not was it burnt before he got to his watering area or afterward (note his vessels were already heavily loaded with the ST JAGOS treasure) if burnt before hitting the watering area was some treasure ( to prevent overloading his vessels ) sent to the bottom on the spanish vessel? OR did ita go water first= burying any excess treasure on shore and burning the empty spanish vessel afterwards?--- humm

finding the dutchman ita's florida watering area * and looking about 1 mile offshore or in the watering area on land might be very interesting indeed :wink:

one needs to check what was listed onboard the treasure vessels manifest and match up what the dutch capt came home with to see if it adds up.

mad4wrecks

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2004
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, DetectorPro Headhunter, Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
one needs to check what was listed onboard the treasure vessels manifest and match up what the dutch capt came home with to see if it adds up.

It almost never added up, especially if the cargo came from a Spanish ship. When the 1733 fleet was salvaged, so much more treasure was recovered than was listed on the manifests hat there were official inquiries for years afterwards.

I doubt if any excess was buried on shore.

OP
OP
ivan salis

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
my point is this --- if there was too much treasure to haul upon their vessels what would they do with it? -- they just wouldn't leave it where the spanish might recover it ,now would they? --so its either burn the vessel with the excess treasure on it --or esle bury the excess treasure and get it on the next time they came back at their watering hole area in florida -- there were times when the dutch vessels could not haul all the goods they took off the spanish --they would rather sink it with the vessel or bury it (in hopes they would return to get it later) than have the spanish reclaim it.

as far as adding up the "take" goes -- if ithe manfest says say 1000 chests of silver and ita only had say 950 chest of it or if important items were "missing" -- ie a possible tip off that not all the treasure was loaded on ita ships --(thus maybe some sank on the burnt vessel or maybe was buried near the watering spot.)

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Things to consider.A galleon fully loaded with treasure would have a aprox draft of 15 feet.any area 1 mile out would most likely be less than 15 feet deep.I know of 2 coastal fresh water springs on the east coast of florida.1 is 9 miles out off daytona.and there are ballast stones in that area.Another spring is in sebastian that i found from talking to a old man that told me about old ships going there for fresh water,he never said exactly where it was,but i found it.In 1628 the sebastian spring would have been aprox 100 yards off the beach.The spring is still there now but its capped off and in someones yard.There is ballast stones there.I know i have one of them.In 1986 i dove on it,found some spikes and the stones.I called the fl state archie office to apply for a lease and they told me mel fisher already had a lease on the wreck,so we went to see mel an he said we(mike maguire and myself) could work the site for free,but there was no treasure.He said it was a french ship that had textiles,wood etc on it.There are other offshore springs,but they are not on the east coast.They are on the west coast.The water there is shallow all the way out to 10 miles.

heres a list of the florida springs and lots of data for them for someone who has alot of time on their hands to sift thru it all.

http://www.dep.state.fl.us/geology/geologictopics/springs/bulletin66.htm

OP
OP
ivan salis

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ah a full loaded treasure vessel draws 15 feet* true ---however how about a mostly stripped one? mostly empty but not quite totally .-- say taken to the watering area for "repairing" but found to be too badly damaged to repair properly for the cross atlantic home voyage --so it was stripped of what treasure they could carry and then burnt with any remaining treasure onboard her --or else any excess treasure was carried ashore and buried near the watering area for getting on the next trip over, and the empty vessel burnt :wink: -- the 1 mile off the coast makes me think close to shore ( thus wherever the watering area was / 1 mile off shore would be where I'd start looking for it )

billinstuart

Oct 17, 2004
stuart..the treasure coast..well, used to be
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur with a WOT!
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Re: august 15th 1628 dutch admiral ita burns -spanish treasure vessel 1 mile off

There was a huge artesian well off the coast of St. Augustine. I THINK it shows on the charts today as a deep hole.

sabre15

Dec 14, 2008
Tampa Bay Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
Discovery TF 900
John, could your spot/Mel's spot be a potential spot for excess treasure left behind? how well did the Fisher group explore that area to know it was empty of any treasure?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread