Getting Reproductions from Spanish Archives?

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Pcola:
Within our own Library of Congress is the Geography and Map Division (G&M) which has custody of the largest and most comprehensive cartographic collection in the world. I'd start 'locally' (Washington, D.C.) before making overseas inquiries. A relatively simple phone call may get you what you want.
http://www.loc.gov/rr/geogmap/
Don........

OP
OP
pcolaboy

pcolaboy

Sep 5, 2006
Pensacola, Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS
I'm very familiar with the LOC maps and photos as well as many of the other domestic universities that have digitized maps. Unfortunately, none of the maps I'm after reside there. There are a few books that I've recently bought that have small versions of the maps I want and they gave the exact location within the Seville archives.

Thanks,

Pcola

OP
OP
pcolaboy

pcolaboy

Sep 5, 2006
Pensacola, Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS
Mackaydon said:
This may be another helpful option:
http://uwf.edu/jworth/primer.htm
Don.......

Ossy...thanks for the contact! I will certainly email him.

Mackydon...unfortunately I've "been there and done that" too :'( Especially since UWF is literally just off my backyard. The Indias online archive catalog does not have any of the maps digitized that I'm looking for but I'm hoping that they may have them stored on microfilm at the archives with the ability for photocopying.

I greatly appreciate all the suggestions guys!

Pcola

OP
OP
pcolaboy

pcolaboy

Sep 5, 2006
Pensacola, Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS
I guess I should specify the ones I'm after in case someone should happen upon them. Essentially it's a series of maps that show detailed movements of the Spanish Fleet and Infantry as they placed Pensacola under siege from March-May 1781. There are a few that show extreme detail on their encampments and trench lines leading up to the final assault on Fort George. Believe me, I've poured over map after map online as well as the UWF Special Collections department regarding this event and others in my area but they are all widely published. The book I just bought is the first I've ever seen of these particular maps, although I had heard that they existed in the Spanish Archives.

Pcola

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread