Can anyone identify this Ship Wreck

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
what nationality was it? -- a ship that sank off guayaquil , (ecuador ) during a 4 year time frame (american civil war era 1861 to 1865) leaves a lot of wiggle room -- details like what nationality, the name of the vessel or its capts name or even the type of cargo carried would help greatly to narrow it down research wize.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
so lets see if I got the question right ---you want us to tell you the details on --- some unknown nationality , unknown type vessel, carrying unknown cargo , who captians name you don't even know -- that sank "sometime" before the 1861 to 1865 time frame off of guayaquil , ecuador ?

so the proper question would be IN EFFECT --- does anyone know of ANY vessel that sank before the 1861/1865 time frame OFF OF GUAYAQUIL, ECUADOR ( ANY VESSEL OF ANY NATIONALILY OR TYPE CARRYING ANY TYPE OF CARGO)

thats a very , very big ball park your playing in . :wink: with a whole lot of wiggle room in it. (a massive job)

however I think the following is most likely the info your after

the spanish treasure fleet of 1654 bound from south america with treasure from the mines to Panama -- they left Callao in may of 1654 * the capitana of the 4 treasure vessel fleet commanded by admirial francisco de sosa on a dark and rainy night was wrecked upon chanduy reef ( just off the mouth of the guayaquil river, ecuador) rapidly going to pieces -- very few people survived the wreck -- and only a small amount of the 3 million pesos onboard were reported as recovered due to rapidly shifting sands burying them over .--- BEWARE !!!!due to recent the UNESCO agreement ON "HISTORIC" UNDERWATER ITEMS (SHIPWRECKS AND SUBMERGERED CITYS AND SUCH) ) that both spain and ecuador have signed --private for profiet wreck diving / salvage is now illegal on this wreck siteand another others in eciadorian waters -- only archies may dive upon wrecks in ecuadorian waters now (and since both spain ( the country that the vessel was "flagged" under) and ecuador (the country who's waters its in) have both signed the UNESCO agreement -- a spanish vessel in ecuadorian waters -- its a "double whammy no go" ****(if found on the site --- go to jail -- go directly to jail -- in a very very bad place to be in jail at) so as always check up on the legal issues OF WRECK DIVING AND SALVAGE IN THE COUNTRY IN QUESTION BEFORE ATTEMPTING ANY RECOVERY . --A WORD TO THE WIZE if you are a archie type : also beware of the real life river "pirates":icon_pirat: that do indeed live in the area , years ago going up the guayaquil river they attempted to board / rob the US flagged merchant marine vessel I was on but were driven off by the crew.

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I just stumbled on Ivan's post of eight years ago.
Be advised we found found and salvaged the Jesus María de la Limpia Concepción (the 1654 'Capitana'). but it necessitated changing the law (to '50/50') and dealing with a total of 5 people who claimed to be the President within a period of one year.
Don.....

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread