Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Justin:
I could use some clarity on your latest. I'm familiar with the S.S. Northerner that ran afoul of Blunts Reef in 1860. She hit the offshore shoals of Humboldt Bay. Miight this be the vessel you are referring to?
Don.....

Madmox

Mar 26, 2014
thanks for the replies. Do you know if any gold was salvaged from this ship

:)

I know this is a necropost and I’m sorry but I just wanted to add this since I’m sure someone will ask about this ship again at some point. The Northerner was carrying the 2.6 million in gold when it arrived in San Francisco from Panama in 1851. It sank in 1860 at Centerville Beach, CA.

Tanneyhill

Mar 5, 2023
Anyone know if the Northerner was carrying any gold when it sank? She sank off centerville beach in NorCal when she was servicing the northern route. Prior to that she was doing the SF to Panama route.

lukdiver2

Greenie
Dec 11, 2023
West Coast
Anyone know if the Northerner was carrying any gold when it sank? She sank off centerville beach in NorCal when she was servicing the northern route. Prior to that she was doing the SF to Panama route.

Several years ago someone posted on eBay with silver coins he said were recovered from beach metal detecting. She's off beach and buried in the sand. I'm not seeing my file on her but the Wells Fargo agent aboard who drowned in surf had a large amount of gold.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread