Need help dating an anchor...

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
if theres 2 of em -- "vector" them * use a straight line "aimimg" in the direction of the shaft using the first anchor then the other one **** where those "two lines cross" is the sweet spot . ( the vessels location --while anchors were "out")-- its the ship dragging them that causes the anchor flukes to "bite" or dig in which buries the anchor flukes in the bottom --as it does the shaft of the anchor is pulled "in line" with the direction of the vessel is being blown as it sets --so the shafts show which way the vessel was being blown while those 2 anchors were out --the exact way it was being blown wind wize should be "fixible" using the two anchors ---go in a line from the matching cross point along the wind blown direction to see if the vessel parted its anchor lines---then drifted hitting a reef or running in shallow water , bottom bouncing & breaking its back and breaking up . :wink: like so

ballast pile (wreck)
- blows ship this way once rope / chain breaks
anchor a (x)---------------------------------------ship
-
-
wind from this way -
-
-
anchor b (b) x

allen_idaho

Dec 4, 2007
Culdesac, Idaho
Definately an Admiralty anchor. An Iron stock rather than wood which became the norm in the late 1700's. The curved stock was developed in 1813. Chain almost entirely replaced hemp lines after 1831. After 1852 all british war ships were supplied with them. So best bet is the anchor is from some time after this.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
very wild guess say british wood hull vessel say 1813 to about 1900 era *

OP
OP
F

ff404

Sep 16, 2007
Aquanut,

The anchors are at a site off the coast of Djibouti, Africa in the Gulf of Tadjourah.

Thanks everyone for all the information... keep it coming if you have it.

I'm going to try to get back out to the site on Sunday hopefully and get some more information.

Matt

rgecy

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2004
Beaufort, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Sea Hunter Mk II
There are a lot of factors in dating an anchor.

Fluke shape: triangular, heart shape, spade shaped
Fluke Length: in relation to Arm length
Arm Shape: curved or straight
Arm Angle: in relation to shank
Stock type: wooden, iron (straight or bent)
....and more.

Here is an image of an anchor with triangular shaped flukes with wooden stock. This type anchor is common in the late 1500's and early 1600's. Any one seen these before?

Attachments

• anchors.jpg
    anchors.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 907

RELICDUDE07

Bronze Member
Oct 2, 2007
Pascagoula Ms.
Detector(s) used
minelab exp.
So with the iron cross bar his is more like this navy anchor...I like the old anchors robert cool picture ..

Attachments

• 14067_78_1.jpg
    14067_78_1.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 3,142

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
wooden stocks --- (the "cross bar" at the top of the anchor -for you land lubbers)--- they would generally be rotted or eaten away most like and be "missing" are a dead give away -- old old anchor -1500 -1600

next up straight iron stock --- old but not as old as wooden stocked ones say 1700 's to 1850

then in 1846* the (bent tip) stock type * known as the "Admiralty" style anchor was fully adopted in the britsh navy (it existed before then but was finally the "regular issue" anchor from 1846 on by 1852 all british naval vessels had em)

stockless anchors were invented in 1821 by the way.

sabre15

Dec 14, 2008
Tampa Bay Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
Discovery TF 900
This is definately an early to mid 1800's kedge anchor, off a british shooner or confederate blockade runner painted blue weighing 18 tons and yes I did stay at a Holiday inn last night! :wink: :D

OP
OP
F

ff404

Sep 16, 2007
Will post up tomorrow night with better pictures and measurements. Thanks for everyones input.

rgecy

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2004
Beaufort, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Sea Hunter Mk II
Just from the little bit I have seen, they fit the Navy/Admiralty Anchor diagram posted by RELICDUDE07.

As for the Anchor's in the Picture, I bet a lot of you guys have walked past them before!

Robert

Marge

Jul 26, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I realized this post anchor 1.jpg anchor 5.jpg anchor 6.jpg is 8 years after your request, but did you have any luck? If so, who helped you. I have an old rusty anchor over 9 feet tall and want to know its weight and origins, etc.

Last edited:

Fragilepkg

Jan 18, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wooden stocks --- (the "cross bar" at the top of the anchor -for you land lubbers)--- they would generally be rotted or eaten away most like and be "missing" are a dead give away -- old old anchor -1500 -1600

next up straight iron stock --- old but not as old as wooden stocked ones say 1700 's to 1850

then in 1846* the (bent tip) stock type * known as the "Admiralty" style anchor was fully adopted in the britsh navy (it existed before then but was finally the "regular issue" anchor from 1846 on by 1852 all british naval vessels had em)

stockless anchors were invented in 1821 by the way.

Question: guys I live in mobile al my father worked shipyards most of my child hood. I don't remember the exact time he got the anchor he has but it was close to 40 years ago. We was kids when he got it. We don't know much about it except it had something to do with mobile. It is wrought iron I believe it has a huge ring and where the stock would be is a large like 10x10 inch (est...) iron square for a wooden timber. I don't know if you guys have enough info from the description to tell me anything with out a pic. But maybe you could help I can take a pic in like two weeks when I go out to my dads place. I can tell u it took 5 men to move it out of the yard for storage and the strained to move it. Thanks for any help in advance. It don't have a shackle like the pic above. Just a huge ring.

Last edited:

MPH200

Oct 26, 2012
Austin, Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Question: guys I live in mobile al my father worked shipyards most of my child hood. I don't remember the exact time he got the anchor he has but it was close to 40 years ago. We was kids when he got it. We don't know much about it except it had something to do with mobile. It is wrought iron I believe it has a huge ring and where the stock would be is a large like 10x10 inch (est...) iron square for a wooden timber. I don't know if you guys have enough info from the description to tell me anything with out a pic. But maybe you could help I can take a pic in like two weeks when I go out to my dads place. I can tell u it took 5 men to move it out of the yard for storage and the strained to move it. Thanks for any help in advance. It don't have a shackle like the pic above. Just a huge ring.

This may help

http://nautarch.tamu.edu/pdf-files/Jobling-MA1993.pdf

Apr 24, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First time to this site. I log on, in hope someone can help me date an old anchor from 1942. The anchor is 5 feet tall and 3 feet wide at the bottom. It has some markings on it.

EX & REP CHAT Feb 1942 S. I or J . H. F. S all that lettering is in one line . With AH below it. If anyone can help date it, I would appreciate it.

Apr 24, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In response to my last post about the anchor from 1942. I gest I know the date, its stamped right on it. what I meant to ask is can anyone tell me what the markings are ?

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Dennis your anchor is a "kedge" anchor from 1942. I hope this helps.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread