Old map with shipwrecks Fl coast

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The wreck that says'wrecked here" is at 3rd ave in new smyrna beach.It is the ship that william bartram was on and how he came to live in new smyrna beach at the time.I found that wreck after it was exposed by the 2004 hurricanes.The state put it on the master site file,then the city of new smyrna beach paid a contractor to clean the beaches up and they scooped up the remains of the wreck and hauled it to the dump.I documented it well before this happened.And no one went to jail over this.The other wreck is south of turtle mound.I have bronze spikes i pulled out of timbers exposed on the beach after the 2004 hurricanes.The wreck in the water is off limits due to it being on NASA's property.I wish the space program would end soon.

Attachments

• 3rdavewreck.jpg
    3rdavewreck.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 2,986

geriler

Feb 3, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! - I was just telling my husband and daughter about the shipwreck I came across in the late 60s/early 70s after a storm in New Smyrna Beach. It was when there were only a few condos on the south part of the beach and the place was empty in the cooler months. My family had a condo and went year round, which was boring for me, so I walked the beach a lot. After a big storm, the sand had been washed out from around this wreck and I picked up two little chunks - one is some really old looking wood with a shortish spike in it. And a longer more slender spike - no wood. I'll try to attach photos. The sand covered it up again pretty fast (I assume! - don't think it was carted away back then) - not sure many people even saw it. Not sure if it was as far south as Turtle Mound but maybe.

Attachments

• NSB spike and wood from shipwreck.JPG
    NSB spike and wood from shipwreck.JPG
    26.3 KB · Views: 484

eddiecurrent

Dec 25, 2015
Treasure coast Fl.
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1236-x2, fisher cz3d and cz 20, tesoro golden sabre II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for that link, I love studying old maps, they reveal a lot.
When I was about 12 I visited a friends house in France, his family owned a huge vinyard and they lived in a 700 yr old estate...in the basement, hanging on a damp old wall in the gloom was a map of America dated from the 1600's. Everything west of the missisippi was marked "terre inconnu", "unknown territory".
I must've stood there looking at that map for a solid hour, mesmerized.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions