Dunes off limits to who ?

deepsix47

Jul 26, 2006
Detector(s) used
Fisher Impulse, Fisher CZ-21, Minelab X-Terra 70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Diverlynn has it right. Got to protect those Sea Oats. There is one exception however. If the property is privately owned and you have the owners written permission, you can hunt them. The problem is that on the prime beaches South of the inlet, most of the landowners pretty much hate the TH'ers and tend to believe that they own everything from their property out as far as they can see.

We've been confronted on the beaches and actually watched them Kayak out to buoys and cut them loose. In the old days of the beach markers, they would go out at night and dig them up, and sometimes even move them a few feet away. This caused a lot of inaccurate positioning with the sextants.

We were one of the first boats to use GPS. We turned in the first GPS readings for the three cannons offshore of Corrigans, Everyone got real excited because they thought we had found three new cannon. The GPS position was about 1/4 mile from the sextant position of the cannon. There were many targets like that thanx to the land owners doing their thing.

Deepsix

mad4wrecks

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2004
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, DetectorPro Headhunter, Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
If you are patient, you can just wait for the dunes to come to you ;D

Attachments

• beach hunter1.jpg
    beach hunter1.jpg
    119.4 KB · Views: 509
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 523
OP
OP
itmaiden

itmaiden

Sep 28, 2005
1/4 mile is a long way off. I know on land GPS can be off by 10-15 yards. You just have to get Navy GPS :wink:
Yea, I know about the Sea Oats, Sea Grass, but those were not the concerns when the properties were developed. Albeit some properties were owned before the laws were in effect. But all the new development between North of Sebastian Inlet as you go towards Melbourne ?
Naw. And how about all the new St Lucie developments too ?

I bet if one was to search the property records one could find where the state sold out to developers.

itmaiden

deepsix47 said:
Diverlynn has it right. Got to protect those Sea Oats. There is one exception however. If the property is privately owned and you have the owners written permission, you can hunt them. The problem is that on the prime beaches South of the inlet, most of the landowners pretty much hate the TH'ers and tend to believe that they own everything from their property out as far as they can see.

We've been confronted on the beaches and actually watched them Kayak out to buoys and cut them loose. In the old days of the beach markers, they would go out at night and dig them up, and sometimes even move them a few feet away. This caused a lot of inaccurate positioning with the sextants.

We were one of the first boats to use GPS. We turned in the first GPS readings for the three cannons offshore of Corrigans, Everyone got real excited because they thought we had found three new cannon. The GPS position was about 1/4 mile from the sextant position of the cannon. There were many targets like that thanx to the land owners doing their thing.

Deepsix

OP
OP
itmaiden

itmaiden

Sep 28, 2005
So True. Love the sign ! I think everybody was jumping on the toes of the Dunes when those hurricanes were so bad here not so long ago. Wabasso really took a hit, and so did another bluff I was planning to search. But after half the bluff was thrown into the water, I figured the goodies were well buried then !

itmaiden

OP
OP
itmaiden

itmaiden

Sep 28, 2005
Hey, when land owners interfere with your markers like that, can't you sue them for violating your lease agreement with the state ?
They look like they are wealthy enough. And maybe it would make up for any lost treasure due to markers being moved.

itmaiden

deepsix47

Jul 26, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes you can but it takes at the least photographic evidence or it boils down to a case of their word against yours. Then of course you have to get the DA to prosecute, a jury to convict, and a judge to sentence. All of this for cutting a few markers loose. Remember to that the judge is elected and likely gets a lot of campaign money from that area. I'm sure you get the picture. They would get a slap on the wrist at most.

Deepsix

itmaiden said:
Hey, when land owners interfere with your markers like that, can't you sue them for violating your lease agreement with the state ?
They look like they are wealthy enough. And maybe it would make up for any lost treasure due to markers being moved.

itmaiden

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
the judge takes campian money from the "locals" --the jury pool is made of local property owners who often feel they "own" the "public beaches" just cause they bought the land in front of it --- oh you scum are messing up my multi million dollar view---begone you ruffins --realllly . --- and without direct proof as you say its he said--she said --no clear case -- even with "proof" it would be a uphill battle tying you up in court and costing money and time -- the lawyers fees if they had to pay yours would most likely be more than the fine / civil damages most likely --and no jail time I'm sure.

billinstuart

Oct 17, 2004
stuart..the treasure coast..well, used to be
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur with a WOT!
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Dunes are formed from windblown sand that is trapped by sea oats and other plants. It is this fragile vegetation that hold the dunes in place. Some areas have a coastal setback requirement and require walkovers that protect the dunes. Some primitive counties like St. Lucie use bulldozers.

Having said that, you have a valid point. It's all about influence peddling. Plus, often private property extends to the "mean high water line".

Now, since the dunes are windblown deposits and very fine sand, there is probably nothing old laying on top. The advantage of deep cuts as shown is that you can access sand that was deposited hundreds of years ago.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
in florida -- the public beach area is from low water line to dunes foot * from the dune foot inland is the land owners property--- thus stay out of the dunes --- the beach area however belongs to the public --otherwize the rich would simply buy up all the beachfront property and keep the "general public " from the seashore by land locking the access --there would be no "public beaches" in effect.

mad4wrecks

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2004
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, DetectorPro Headhunter, Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
deepsix47 wrote: In the old days of the beach markers, they would go out at night and dig them up, and sometimes even move them a few feet away. This caused a lot of inaccurate positioning with the sextants.

So that's why I could never quite get positioned again on the same spot! Hey, remember doing the wrecksite base maps using a 3 arm protractor, trying to plot all your dig spots? That sure was fun. I've included a few pictures of some beach markers you may remember.

(marker F was particularly kind to me) ;D

Tom

Attachments

• beachmarker F.jpg
    beachmarker F.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 449
  • beachmarker G.jpg
    beachmarker G.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 452
  • sextant reading5.jpg
    sextant reading5.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 445
OP
OP
itmaiden

itmaiden

Sep 28, 2005
I've seen those property owners out on the beaches checking for treasure as the tide pulls out. And I bet many of them have never thought about MD'ing their own yards. I heard one of the residential construction crews working off of A1A hit a cache a few years ago. I wonder how many times that has happened ?

itmaiden

ivan salis said:
in florida -- the public beach area is from low water line to dunes foot * from the dune foot inland is the land owners property--- thus stay out of the dunes --- the beach area however belongs to the public --otherwize the rich would simply buy up all the beachfront property and keep the "general public " from the seashore by land locking the access --there would be no "public beaches" in effect.

deepsix47

Jul 26, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tom, that does bring back memories. Remember at each seasons contractors meeting when Tommy Gore would take us all out into the parking lot and check us out on the sextant....LMAO!!!! Those were fun times. Were you working when one of Moe Molinars divers stepped off the Virgilona and onto the 5' Lemon Shark (almost gave the poor shark a coronary)? Oh for the good ole days!!!!

Just curious but I wonder how many today remember how to even use the sextant....lol.

Deepsix

deepsix47

Jul 26, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
itmaiden said:
I've seen those property owners out on the beaches checking for treasure as the tide pulls out. And I bet many of them have never thought about MD'ing their own yards. I heard one of the residential construction crews working off of A1A hit a cache a few years ago. I wonder how many times that has happened ?

itmaiden

In the mid 90s there were many confrontations with property owners. When the water was bad we often worked the beaches and it sometimes got interesting. We had them come down (sometimes with their rent-a-cops) and threaten to take our detectors, demanded to see what we had found, stand in their yards and photograph us, threaten to physically throw us off THEIR beach. It was interesting on occasion. These incidents do still occur.

Just remember, should something like this happen to you, stay cool. Attempt to just walk away without being confrontational. Politely suggest that if they have a problem they might consider calling the Sheriff. All the while offering a silent prayer to the Treasure Gods for one of them to put their hands on you, actually attempt to take your MD or the best of all, to place you under a citizens arrest. As you sit quietly waiting for the Sheriff to arrive you can be deciding what equipment you are going to buy with your new found fortune and possibly even what it will be like to live in a million dollar home....AH, the joys of life!!!! There is no such thing as a citizens arrest in Florida and should a person utter those magic words ....you're under arrest.... you now own them. Only a certified law enforcement officer can make an arrest. A citizen can merely detain and then only under certain conditions. They will go to jail for illegal detention. If they used force to keep you there, it only adds to the already substantial court award.

There have been many caches found along that coast dating back all the way to the building of A1A. A couple turned up when we were working the area in the mid 90s. Not only on the islands but on the mainland side in Sebastian.

Deepsix

ivan salis said:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread