ScubaFinder

Bronze Member
Jul 11, 2006
Tampa, FL
Detector(s) used
AquaPulse AQ1B - AquaPulse DX-200 Magnetometer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
That island is Tobacco Caye that were talking about. It is fully developed now, so I would imagine they would have seen something while doing the construction if it was there...but who knows. I am aquainted with the folks who own the northern most house, so I will inquire. It would certainly make a good pirate hang out.

Oddly enough, In all my trips to Belize, I never saw anyone else with a metal detector. I haven't done a lot of beach hunting there, mostly just the south end of Ambergris Caye but I would imagine there is a TON of un-searched territory there, all rich with shipwreck history. Makes you think....

Jason

sphillips

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2008
Western NC
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dell,

I must be blind. I cant see where the coordinates are posted.

OP
OP
B

belizeanpirate

Greenie
Jul 2, 2009
Tobacco Caye has been consistently inhabited for hundreds of years and was used by pirates as well as traders and fishermen. It has been built on for many generations now but, as Jason pointed out, no one in Belize has metal detectors and no one has ever made a systematic search of anywhere like that. The problem now would be that there are so many buildings there and so many people around, that a thorough search would be impossible. Only during a hurricane would it be feasible to go out there and do something since everyone would be evacuated, and during a hurricane, no one would want to be out on that tiny caye to begin with. I know almost everyone out at Tobacco Caye, and believe me, that island is so small and so crowded that if anyone there found treasure, there would be mass murdering going on in no time. The other modern kind of treasure that is white and hauled with seaplanes and fast boats has frequently been known to flow through there, but that is generally not done in front of everyone and is generally done in the darkest hours of the night.

As for the other picture, I dont recognize the area. There are so many little cayes south of here and yet most are not very close to the reef. The best place that I would pick to treasure hunt would be out at Glovers Reef which is a known pirate haunt of John Glover (hence the name) and is someplace that many ships have met with their destruction over the years. I would also concentrate on Lighthouse Reef and Turneffe which are very likely to have seen their share of shipwrecked treasure over the years. The only impediment to hunting treasure here is having the right insturments and technology and having lots of time on your hands.

OP
OP
B

belizeanpirate

Greenie
Jul 2, 2009
I spoke to one of the largest landowners on Tobacco Caye and he says that during a foundation dig out there, they found a gold Dutch East India coin from the 1700s. He promptly went out to get drunk and does not remember what happened to it. Since that time, no one has ever done any metal detecting or digging out there.

Once again, many places in Belize would be good to treasure hunt. We just need equipment and time.

Capt. Bob

Apr 25, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Metal detector

Do you know if you can bring a metal detector into Belize?
I am interested in doing some treasure hunting there but only part time.

Chagy

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2005
Florida
Detector(s) used
JW Fishers Pulse 8X
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Do you know if you can bring a metal detector into Belize?
I am interested in doing some treasure hunting there but only part time.

Metal detectors are not illegal they can be used for many things including finding plumbing pipes in the ground...I have taken mine all over the Caribbean and Central and South America and never had a problem...One time I went to Roatan Bay islands of Honduras with 3 metal detectors and all kinds of salvage equipment and they didn't asked me a single thing.

All the best,

Chagy....

hbriverol

Greenie
Mar 14, 2014
Belize
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Bounty Hunter Quick Draw 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello. I am a resident if Belize and have recently acquired 2 metal detectos and want to start a metal detecting club here in Belize. If any one is interested please message me as I know for a fact Belize has not been detected and I know there is alot of good things to be unearthed here. Hope to hear from someone.

Un-shore

Feb 26, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello. I am a resident if Belize and have recently acquired 2 metal detectos and want to start a metal detecting club here in Belize. If any one is interested please message me as I know for a fact Belize has not been detected and I know there is alot of good things to be unearthed here. Hope to hear from someone.[/QUOTE

Hello friend,

This is an old thread, it would be more productive to start a new one. You would get more interest that way.

hbriverol

Greenie
Mar 14, 2014
Belize
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Bounty Hunter Quick Draw 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Thank you friend. I will do that better.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread