Lt Col Harry F Cannon from the Real Eight

PyrateJim

Nov 28, 2004
Sterling Hts., MI.
Detector(s) used
Garrett, Sea Hunter mark II
Hope someone here can help me out.

If I recall correctly, Lt Col Harry F Cannon from the original Real Eight group passed away not to long ago. I've been contacted by a distant family member who is trying to find his grave site (presuming he did pass over) and needs some help. Can anyone help confirm if he did in fact pass, and if so where I might some burial/obit info?

Thanks,
PyrateJim

mad4wrecks

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2004
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, DetectorPro Headhunter, Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Sorry I can't help you Jim. Col. Dan Thompson was the most recent Real Eight Co. member to pass away if my memory is correct. Not sure when Harry Cannon passed. I think Terry Armstrong would probably know. :dontknow:

signumops

Feb 28, 2007
U.S.
Detector(s) used
Garrett, Minelab, Aqua-Pulse
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know where either. I only met him one time and he never worked at the museum or on the boats by the time I worked for Real 8. I thought Bob Johnson was the last death in the original group.

mad4wrecks

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2004
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Terry, I thought we put you in charge of keeping track of all those guys!

signumops

Feb 28, 2007
U.S.
Detector(s) used
Garrett, Minelab, Aqua-Pulse
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tom:
When I worked for them, it became obvious to me in short order that the powerhouse in the group was Bob Johnson, whom I worked for on the Grifon. Bob was one of the best guys I ever worked for and I admired him greatly... still do. We kept in touch with one another over the years. Dan Thompson's son, Dan Jr. also worked with me on the Grifon, but he was attending college at USF and I have not heard from him since. The Thompsons lived in Indian Harbour Beach, and Bob Johnson took over the marina there. I went to the Thompsons house once to get some pictures of the old Derelict and about 5 years ago, I saw Dan Sr. at a Bob Marx lecture in Eau Gallie.

I worked on the Derelict when Rex Stocker was the skipper, and over the following years I did some short stints with Rex and Sam Staples on boats running under "Doubloon Salvage". I have talked to Rex on the phone once or twice in the last 30 years, but we have yet to meet up after all this time. I only met Kip Wagner once, and when we had our annual end-of-season lobster cookout at the "Crow's Nest" (used to be in the area of the shower house at present-day north Sebastian Inlet jetty) Lou Ullian, Del Long, Dan Thompson and Doc. Kelso would be there as I recall. Only went to two of those partys.

When I worked with Real 8, we (the crew) were simply paid hands and not paid that much either. At the end of the season, we got an 8 reale. Considering that they had thousands of them on hand, that should be a pretty good indicator as to what level of esteem we achieved as their "employees". We were paid $90.00 for a 60 hour week, almost always at the Cabin Wreck. Did not matter how the water was at the time: we went there and dove it regardless. We took turns working on the Gold Digger with the Fishers up at Corrigans.

There were only two divers on the Derelict that were there for sport: Larry Harvey and John DeBry, both of whom had their own money. The rest of us were wage earners and I was the only one who made a living as a commercial diver. The rest were college students or surf bums looking for summer cash. Kip Kelso Jr. was an anchor monkey and he kept watch on the compressor. Have not heard from him since then either. He was just a young kid at the time.

But, you just don't know how much fun your really having till the good times are gone. Just like life. I'm positive that any of the Real 8 would tell you the same.

OP
OP
PyrateJim

PyrateJim

Nov 28, 2004
Sterling Hts., MI.
Detector(s) used
Any one able to find anything out. I've hit a wall and dont know some of those you mentioned well enough to call out of the blue (if I even had a number) and ask.
Thanks

mad4wrecks

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2004
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Jim, you might want to try asking Ernie Richards. I am sure that he (and Weller) would have made mention of Lt. Col Cannon's passing in their Plus Ultra Newsletter. Tom

ToyMan

Jul 25, 2005
I worked with Harry for 4 years in the Air Force. His middle initial is E not F. He was born on September 24, 1919 and passed away on November 14th, 1998 while residing in Melbourne Florida.

Dan F. Thompson was also in our office. He was born March 15th, 1920 and passed away on December 23rd, 2005 while residing in Satellite Beach Florida.

I don't have any information on where they are buried.

ToyMan

OP
OP
PyrateJim

PyrateJim

Nov 28, 2004
Sterling Hts., MI.
Detector(s) used
Re: Lt Col Harry E Cannon from the Real Eight

Thanks ToyMan. I had just talked to someone that told me of Harry's passing in 1998 as well. I'm guessing he is buried in a military cemetery and am now ging to gear my search that way.

OP
OP
PyrateJim

PyrateJim

Nov 28, 2004
Sterling Hts., MI.
Detector(s) used
Thanks. I had tried that link yesterday and he does not show up in any of the searchs I did. That lead me to believe he was laid to rest in a "civilian"/local cemetery. I'm workin gon finding his obit online, but most go back only 10 years, and his is a month shy of 11. I have a couple other resources, just cant get to them until the weekend.

Thanks again,
PyrateJim

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
His address around 1993 time frame:

Name: Harry E Cannon
Birth Date: Sep 1919
Phone Number: 242-3436
Address: 1790 Crane Creek Blv, Melbourne, Florida 32940-0901 (1993)
[991 SE Grapefruit Rd, Palm Bay, Florida 32909-1001 (1992)]
[2535 NE 3rd Av, Palm Bay, Florida 32906]

Social Security Death Index
Name: Harry E. Cannon
SSN: 266-18-6386
Last Residence: 32940 Melbourne, Brevard, Florida, United States of America
Born: 24 Sep 1919
Died: 14 Nov 1998
State (Year) SSN issued: Florida (Before 1951)

Here is a list of cemeteries in Brevard Co, Fl:
http://www.epodunk.com/cgi-bin/loca...ction=down&sec=0&qty=12&stateAbbv=&stateName=

Bethel Cemetery
Brevard Memorial Park
Canaveral Groves Cemetery
Florida Memorial Cemetery
Fountainhead Memorial Park
Georgiana Cemetery
LaGrange Cemetery
Melbourne Cemetery
Oaklawn Cemetery
Pine Crest Cemetery
Pioneer Cemetery
Shady Oaks Cemetery

They can contact each cemetery in the location of where he passed and they can let him know if he is buried there. Also, here's a link. They can also request his death certificate.... http://www.kindredtrails.com/FL_Brevard.html

Hope this info helps.
Annmarie

saltydog5

Aug 1, 2010
I saw this post a year later because my grandson was looking at this treasure site.I am Harry Cannon's niece.His name was Harry Edward Cannon,Jr. and he is not buried in a cemetery as he was cremated.My aunt, his widow, still lives in the Melbourne,Fl. area as well as other relatives.Hope this will be helpful to you.

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Real de Tayopa (Tropical Tramp said:
Hmmm 'SSN: 266-18-6386', spose I can sell that info to an illegal? How much should I ask Cappy?

Don Jose de La Mancha

Posting a SSN of a deceased person is not illegal. You can find it on the SSDI (Social Security Death Index) which is a public site. And it does not matter how secure you think your info is or your home is, if a thief wants in, they will! ;)

Have a nice day,
Annmarie

wreck/diver

Tenderfoot
Mar 20, 2009
Florida
Detector(s) used
J.W.Fisher
Garrett
Whites
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Louis Ullian, one of the original members of the Real Eight Corp., passed away on May 16, 2010.

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good afternoon Anne Marie: I frankly agree with you. All of my internet posts and data from Mexico are monitored with the help of the Us. But that is a sign of the times. As for the rest, $20 US will get you whatever you wish. sigh, I remember when it was supposedly no one else's business and was protected by the Constitution. For this I was in two wars? sheesh. I believe that the Col would agree with me.

Don Jose de La Mancha

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread