Jupiter Inlet and the Next Few Miles North

SFLOcenEng

Apr 19, 2008
Rio Seco
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
I don't read many post about the area directly north of Jupiter Inlet. I'm sure this area has seen some action over the years. Does anyone know of any finds in that area? Access is limited so I know that is an issue but it is not completely off limits. I have parked at the parks to the north of the inlet and walked to the inlet and have walked the other way with out much luck. I have to think an occasional find is made in the area. Looking for answers. Thanks in advance for any input.

C

Cappy Z.

Okay. I'll give in to the itch.

Nobody is going to honestly tell you where the hot spots are along the treasure coast.

Having stated the obvious, I can tell you they don't say it's the richest treasure beach in the world for no reason.

On any given day I am certain treasure is being hauled about and never a word said.

I wish you Godspeed.

addendum:

Florida Shipwrecks: Fishing for History
Thousands of of wrecks, thousands of fishing spots and countless fascinating tales.

By Michael C. Barnette

“Wreck ashore!”

In the past, those words were commonly heard along Florida’s shores. Numerous vessels met their fate off the Atlantic and Gulf coasts of Florida, either by weather, war or chance.

Tales of local maritime tragedy have frequently emblazoned newspaper headlines since the early 1800s. While shipwrecks often resulted in emotional and economic loss, they also presented an opportunity to some in Florida, spawning an entire industry of those seeking to salvage vessels and cargo in peril. And just as the wrecking fleet in the Florida Keys benefited from a steady stream of unfortunate maritime incidents, fishermen and divers today also reap a shipwreck’s bounty.

Potentially over 5,000 shipwrecks reside off Florida’s 1,200 miles of coastline. In and of itself, the Florida Keys archipelago, consisting of approximately 1,700 islands stretching 200 miles, is littered with the scattered remains of close to 1,000 shipwrecks. In fact, many of the reefs and shoals of the Florida Keys were named after various shipwreck events: the Marquesas Keys were named after the Marqués de Cadereita, commander of the ill-fated 1622 Fleet that included the famed Nuestra Señora de Atocha; Looe Key earned its name after the 1744 wrecking of the British frigate H.M.S. Loo; Carysfort Reef pays homage to the H.M.S. Carysfort, which ran afoul of the reef in 1770; and Alligator Reef, where the schooner U.S.S. Alligator met her fate in 1822.

It should come as no surprise that the Florida Keys are home to countless shipwrecks. The same inviting coral reefs to which divers and fishermen flock on vacation have doomed ships large and small. Historically, vessels heading south to destinations in the Caribbean or Gulf of Mexico closely hugged the Florida reefline to avoid the strong northward influence of the Gulf Stream. Unfortunately, all it took was a slight navigational error or violent afternoon squall to throw a sailing vessel onto the reef and tear her bottom out. The jagged coral reefs and treacherous shoals still wreak havoc on shipping today.

While coral reefs have sealed the fate of many vessels in South Florida and throughout the Keys, another destructive agent familiar to anyone living within the state is that of the dreaded hurricane. Hurricanes are a fact of life for Floridians. But, while we are fortunate to have satellites, radar and accurate forecasting to minimize loss of property and life, mariners prior to the mid-twentieth century were not so fortunate. Historically, hurricanes have impacted every coastal portion of the state and annually resulted in the loss of numerous vessels. In fact, the largest loss of life attributed to a single shipwreck event was due to a hurricane.

Florida’s greatest maritime tragedy is probably also the least well known—the Valbanera. In late August 1919, the 400-foot-long passenger steamer Valbanera departed Spain bound for New Orleans, with stops in Puerto Rico and Cuba. As she approached Havana in early September, hurricane-force winds buffeted the ship. Unable to enter the harbor, she waited offshore overnight for the storm to pass. However, by daybreak, she was nowhere to be seen. It would be several weeks before a U.S. Navy sub-chaser would find her submerged hulk west of the Marquesas on a shoal appropriately known as the Quicksands. Almost 500 lives were lost with the sinking of the Valbanera. The 1919 hurricane responsible for sinking the Valbanera and dozens of other vessels was the third most intense storm ever to impact the United States.

OP
OP
SFLOcenEng

SFLOcenEng

Apr 19, 2008
Rio Seco
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
BillyBudd007 said:
Okay. I'll give in to the itch.

Nobody is going to honestly tell you where the hot spots are along the treasure coast.

Having stated the obvious, I can tell you they don't say it's the richest treasure beach in the world for no reason.

On any given day I am certain treasure is being hauled about and never a word said.

I wish you Godspeed.

addendum:

Florida Shipwrecks: Fishing for History
Thousands of of wrecks, thousands of fishing spots and countless fascinating tales.

By Michael C. Barnette

“Wreck ashore!”

In the past, those words were commonly heard along Florida’s shores. Numerous vessels met their fate off the Atlantic and Gulf coasts of Florida, either by weather, war or chance.

Tales of local maritime tragedy have frequently emblazoned newspaper headlines since the early 1800s. While shipwrecks often resulted in emotional and economic loss, they also presented an opportunity to some in Florida, spawning an entire industry of those seeking to salvage vessels and cargo in peril. And just as the wrecking fleet in the Florida Keys benefited from a steady stream of unfortunate maritime incidents, fishermen and divers today also reap a shipwreck’s bounty.

Potentially over 5,000 shipwrecks reside off Florida’s 1,200 miles of coastline. In and of itself, the Florida Keys archipelago, consisting of approximately 1,700 islands stretching 200 miles, is littered with the scattered remains of close to 1,000 shipwrecks. In fact, many of the reefs and shoals of the Florida Keys were named after various shipwreck events: the Marquesas Keys were named after the Marqués de Cadereita, commander of the ill-fated 1622 Fleet that included the famed Nuestra Señora de Atocha; Looe Key earned its name after the 1744 wrecking of the British frigate H.M.S. Loo; Carysfort Reef pays homage to the H.M.S. Carysfort, which ran afoul of the reef in 1770; and Alligator Reef, where the schooner U.S.S. Alligator met her fate in 1822.

It should come as no surprise that the Florida Keys are home to countless shipwrecks. The same inviting coral reefs to which divers and fishermen flock on vacation have doomed ships large and small. Historically, vessels heading south to destinations in the Caribbean or Gulf of Mexico closely hugged the Florida reefline to avoid the strong northward influence of the Gulf Stream. Unfortunately, all it took was a slight navigational error or violent afternoon squall to throw a sailing vessel onto the reef and tear her bottom out. The jagged coral reefs and treacherous shoals still wreak havoc on shipping today.

While coral reefs have sealed the fate of many vessels in South Florida and throughout the Keys, another destructive agent familiar to anyone living within the state is that of the dreaded hurricane. Hurricanes are a fact of life for Floridians. But, while we are fortunate to have satellites, radar and accurate forecasting to minimize loss of property and life, mariners prior to the mid-twentieth century were not so fortunate. Historically, hurricanes have impacted every coastal portion of the state and annually resulted in the loss of numerous vessels. In fact, the largest loss of life attributed to a single shipwreck event was due to a hurricane.

Florida’s greatest maritime tragedy is probably also the least well known—the Valbanera. In late August 1919, the 400-foot-long passenger steamer Valbanera departed Spain bound for New Orleans, with stops in Puerto Rico and Cuba. As she approached Havana in early September, hurricane-force winds buffeted the ship. Unable to enter the harbor, she waited offshore overnight for the storm to pass. However, by daybreak, she was nowhere to be seen. It would be several weeks before a U.S. Navy sub-chaser would find her submerged hulk west of the Marquesas on a shoal appropriately known as the Quicksands. Almost 500 lives were lost with the sinking of the Valbanera. The 1919 hurricane responsible for sinking the Valbanera and dozens of other vessels was the third most intense storm ever to impact the United States.

Your a clown! I'm asking specifically about the area directly north of the inlet. The first say 3 to 5 miles. I don't hear them talked about much. I have hunted and found plenty in numerous areas some in the books some not. I will do with out your silly post or your godspeed and where did you address my Jupiter question? Kuk!!!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread