Question regarding ownership

CaptPugwash

Nov 26, 2008

The Hun

Dec 6, 2008
Hungary
CaptPugwash said:
I have a question regarding dive rights on certain wrecks.

Basically i've been reading up on shipwrecks on my side of the pond and Odyssey seem to have staked a claim on all of them. Does this mean no one can even bother looking because Odyssey "claim" to have discovered said vessel?

Kind regards

Doug
I am not an expert int this field, but in my humble opinion you can do it, but they won't yield to do it.....

mariner

Apr 4, 2005
Pugwash,

First of all, welcome to the Forum.

I am sure that there are thousands of wrecks on your side of "the pond" that nobody has found yet, let alone Odyssey. Are you saying that you have found some wrecks, and gone to claim them only to be told that Odyssey had already done so?

If not, then to paraphrase Mrs. Beaton's recipe for rabbit stew, "first catch your shipwreck."

Good luck.

Mariner

OP
OP
C

CaptPugwash

Nov 26, 2008
Hello everyone and thank you...!

I have been a member of this site for sometime but various things happened that led to me not being here very often. Now im back and loving it. So much has happened.

I have not found anything, i was asking simply because i thought maybe Odyssey had developed a monopoly on the wreck hunting world.

I love to research but i didn't want to waste my time. Now i know i will happily research to my hearts content.

mariner

Apr 4, 2005
Pugwash,

About 90% of all research is wasted, but you don't know which 90% until you have already completed it.

Good luck,

Mariner

ScubaFinder

Bronze Member
Jul 11, 2006
Tampa, FL
Detector(s) used
AquaPulse AQ1B - AquaPulse DX-200 Magnetometer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Truer words were never spoken Mariner.

OP
OP
C

CaptPugwash

Nov 26, 2008
Oh no...I absolutely agree. I don't think i worded my remarks particularly well.

I completely agree that 90% of research is wasted, i know that from experience alas. I just didn't research a ship that Odyssey already last rights over. If you follow my meaning.

Case in point;
I spent hours in the library and on the internet reading books and looking at maps regarding the Merchant Royall then the obvious happened. Then i started looking into SUSSEX and same again. haha. We are talking quite a while ago though mind.

Maybe i need another hobby.

VOC

Apr 11, 2006
Atlantic Ocean
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cpt Pugwash,

There is still plenty of wrecks still worth finding in UK waters, the only problem is that if they are deemed to be of historic value English Heritage will put a protection order on it preventing any excavation, as they are now following the UNESCO convention even though they are not signed up to it.

Bob Marxs book "The World's Richest Wrecks: A Wreck Diver's Guide to Gold and Silver Treasures of the Seas" list some of the ones worth finding (can get book from the internet).

There is still some outward bound VOC (Dutch East Indiaman) still not located.

For general wreck reasearch you may find these sites of interest http://www.abc.se/~pa/uwa/wreckbas.htm

lamar

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2004
Dear CaptPugwash;
Yes, my friend, it seems that Odessey has beaten you to the punch and the wreck is rightfully and legally his, however one must always bear in mind that which he does not know will not harm him, therefore, if it were me, I'd go ahead and salvage to my greedy heart's content and settle matters with Odessey and the other carrion in the courts.
Your friend;
LAMAR

OP
OP
C

CaptPugwash

Nov 26, 2008
Ha Thanks for that Lamar,

I don't think i'd bother with that. Finders keepers and all that jazz. In my opinion they do seem to be quite a greedy company though. But thats just my opinion i don't know their motivation etc...

I will just move onto the next one...speaking of thank you very much for that link VOC. i was beginning to wonder where to start.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions