Treasure laws in Australia

jryan54

Aug 11, 2009
Howdy Everyone!

Firstly, what a fantastic resource this site is! Its a truly valuable little resource.

Anyway, im located on the Gold Coast, Australia and have always been really interested in old wrecks and trasure hunting. Its only recently though that I have decided to actively go out and do some hunting. The problem arises that in Australia (like everything else) they over-regulate the heck out of treasure hunting and in particular wreck diving.

From the little that i've been able to find online it appears as if the rule is that ANY sunked vessel over 75 years old in Australian waters is covered by a special act that basically prohibits you from profiting from the wreck or in fact remving anything. Anything younger than that isnt covered by the act and im assuming that normal maritime salvage laws would apply.

I'm just wondering what is actually definied as Australian waters...would it be:

Territorial waters only (12NM)
Contigous Zone (24nm)
Economic zone (200nm)

From what ive read it seems contradictory that they mention australian waters but then talk about their rights over wrecks extending out to the edge of the continental shelf etc. So does anyone have any experience with dealing with Aussie wrecks?

It just seems like there are TONS of undiscovered wrecks down here and that very few people are looking for them (at least publicly). I'm guessing that govt attitudes like this really encourage pirating them etc...so is that litteraly the solution...pirate what you can and keep your trap shut??

I'd really prefer to do things legally if possible, especially if I potentially discovered something that had cultural significance etc.

Any words of wisdom from you experienced members etc?

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
needless to say --we can not legally condone the breaking of laws (no matter what country its in and how stupid the laws are) -- of course when draconain anti salvage treasure laws are put in place ---basically not allowing any legal salvage of old treasure wrecks -- then its forget your "dreams" or go into the "outlaw" world of pirating them. --- and since the archie world is always under funded and understaffed there are thousands of wrecks that will rot totally to bits untouched with their valuible contents doing no one any good at all.

when faced with stupid laws -- fight to get them repealed * laws that do not make sense , and / or that are dracoian in nature need to be taken off the books ===the working joe HAS to have a dream , that one day he can find a bit of luck and be on easy street --otherwise life is just a deadly boring grind --plodding along toward the grave. ---they got no right to steal your hopes and dreams . ( since they are took everything else already )

The Hun

Dec 6, 2008
Hungary
jryan54 said:
Howdy Everyone!

Firstly, what a fantastic resource this site is! Its a truly valuable little resource.

Anyway, im located on the Gold Coast, Australia and have always been really interested in old wrecks and trasure hunting. Its only recently though that I have decided to actively go out and do some hunting. The problem arises that in Australia (like everything else) they over-regulate the heck out of treasure hunting and in particular wreck diving.

From the little that i've been able to find online it appears as if the rule is that ANY sunked vessel over 75 years old in Australian waters is covered by a special act that basically prohibits you from profiting from the wreck or in fact remving anything. Anything younger than that isnt covered by the act and im assuming that normal maritime salvage laws would apply.

I'm just wondering what is actually definied as Australian waters...would it be:

Territorial waters only (12NM)
Contigous Zone (24nm)
Economic zone (200nm)

From what ive read it seems contradictory that they mention australian waters but then talk about their rights over wrecks extending out to the edge of the continental shelf etc. So does anyone have any experience with dealing with Aussie wrecks?

It just seems like there are TONS of undiscovered wrecks down here and that very few people are looking for them (at least publicly). I'm guessing that govt attitudes like this really encourage pirating them etc...so is that litteraly the solution...pirate what you can and keep your trap shut??

I'd really prefer to do things legally if possible, especially if I potentially discovered something that had cultural significance etc.

Any words of wisdom from you experienced members etc?

Hi,
Welcome here..:)

I've found this one in my bookmark, every site contains wrecklists:

http://www.mm.wa.gov.au/Museum/march/shipwrecks/Metro/Intro.html
http://www.parks.tas.gov.au/index.aspx?base=1729
http://www.environment.sa.gov.au/heritage/ships_graveyards/
http://maritime.heritage.nsw.gov.au/default.cfm
http://www.anmm.gov.au/site/page.cfm

mariner

Apr 4, 2005
jryan 54,

First of all, welcome to the Forum, Cobber.

I haven't specifically looked at Australian law, but I am pretty sure that "Australian Waters" will extend the 24 nm out to the edge of the Contiguous Zone, as far as shipwrecks are concerned.

Mariner

MORE AND BEYOND OSSY

Bronze Member
Jul 27, 2008
BRISBANE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gday, jryan 54. There is The Historic shipwrecks Act, you have 30 days to notify your state government
or face many draconian penalties and punishments. we are not as lucky as our American friends.
Did you know there is a lost galleon/ nao at North Stradbroke Island deep in the swamp :read2:
Ossy

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread