Bronze Member
Jul 11, 2006
Tampa, FL
Detector(s) used
AquaPulse AQ1B - AquaPulse DX-200 Magnetometer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Re: What's going on in the DR?

Thanks Sam, even coming from you. :-) We differ on a few points but that doesn't mean that I don't respect your opinion. I'm way more sick of the widely held opinion that "treasure hunters are nothing more than thiefs", than I am of your rhetoric. You are of the opinion that all treasures of the Spanish Main belong to Spain no matter how or where they were obtained or found, or who mined or found them. On the other hand,I believe an amatuer archaeologist who spends his time, money, and effort to find the treasure deserves his fair reward. Both points have certain merits and certain faults. My point is and has always been that there IS middle ground, and EVERYONE...including Spain....would be better off if we all tried to work together instead acting solely with Greed as our motivator.

The archaeologists are greedy for recognition, treasure hunters are greedy for wealth and the pursuit of of our dreams, and Spain is greedy in the courts. If we could somehow take greed out of the equation, and get everyone to look at it as peers who care about the same things...the whole system could work beautifully. The treasure hunters are trying to help, but I can't say the same for academic archaeology, nor for Spain. The treasure hunters are the only ones who have the boats, funding, and skills nessecary (all in one place) to do this most important work.

What if worldwide we were excavating 60-80 wrecks simultaneously, museums and archies were getting a flood of incredible artifacts and data, Spain, France, Portugal, and Britain were getting a lot of their nautical heritage back that they would otherwise never see, and the workers (treasure hunters) were getting paid well to do what they love, and getting a finders bonus for doing their job well. Can you imagine how quickly our knowledge would advance, how interesting our museums would be, how busy our archaeologists would be. It's so damn simple that it hurts my head to watch large countries and academics who should be smarter, act like greedy children with little or no education. I cannot be the smartest guy on earth...so where are the smart archaeologists, where are the smart diplomats in Spain and elsewhere, where is the spirit that this is HUMAN history, and it belongs to all of us equally?

Jason

OldGold74

Jul 12, 2008
Detector(s) used
Minelab/Fisher/Aquapulse

Well said Jason, hopefully if this makes just one angry archy change it will be worth it, you are on the right track, hats off to you and your crew and all the hard work you have put in.

Alexandre

Bronze Member
Oct 21, 2009
Lisbon

Marine Exploration, Inc. Uploads Latest Sunken Treasure Pictures to Company
Website
MIAMI, Nov. 4 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- Marine Exploration, Inc. (OTC
Bulletin Board: MEXP) has updated its website to include pictures of
recovered sunken treasure including gold and pearl jewelry, silver fittings,
and dynasty china. www.mexp.biz (click screen to view pics)
Marine Exploration CEO Mark Goldberg comments, "The pictures uploaded to our
website are preliminary photos of a few pieces of sunken treasure that we
just found. They have not yet been inventoried or cataloged according to our
Host Country Contract. We have secured the treasure wreck site and are
bringing the R/V Hispaniola into port on the north shore for two days of
provisioning and to bring aboard additional treasure holding tanks. Burt
Webber will then take the team back to the wreck site to resume treasure
recovery."
The Company shall continue to issue near-term updates to its investors and
the public as the recovery process continues.
Marine Exploration, Inc. and joint venture partner Hispaniola Ventures, LLC
headed by Burt Webber, plan to continue the shipwreck site survey and
salvage. They anticipate locating and recovering additional historic
shipwrecks with valuable artifacts and treasure. Working under exclusive
contract with the Dominican Republic, plans are in place to pursue multiple
notable shipwrecks in Dominican Republic territorial and jurisdictional
waters. www.mexp.biz

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

VERY EXCITING NEWS ALEXANDRE. Now let me ask you, if they found bits of rotten wood, peppercorns and rotten shoes- would this make the headline news?

Alexandre

Bronze Member
Oct 21, 2009
Lisbon

Salvor6 said:
VERY EXCITING NEWS ALEXANDRE. Now let me ask you, if they found bits of rotten wood, peppercorns and rotten shoes- would this make the headline news?

Since this is a piece of newswire pretending to float their actions, I doubt it...

Anyhow, not everything that makes the headline news is good news - look at the bombings in Pakistan, the H1N1 flu.... ;)

MORE AND BEYOND OSSY

Bronze Member
Jul 27, 2008
BRISBANE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Salvor6 said:
Don't Laugh Salvor6 but I would love a Piece of timber from a galleon, just a much as a piece of eight and I have quite
a few !
If President Lincoln had worn the shoes, would you be more excited ! Some of us love history more than the silver and gold.
Ossy

Trond

Mar 23, 2006
Norway
Detector(s) used
XP Goldmaxx Power.

MORE AND BEYOND OSSY said:
Some of us love history more than the silver and gold.
Ossy

Yes I agree with you.

MORE AND BEYOND OSSY

Bronze Member
Jul 27, 2008
BRISBANE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

ScubaFinder said:
Thanks Sam, even coming from you. :-) We differ on a few points but that doesn't mean that I don't respect your opinion. I'm way more sick of the widely held opinion that "treasure hunters are nothing more than thiefs", than I am of your rhetoric. You are of the opinion that all treasures of the Spanish Main belong to Spain no matter how or where they were obtained or found, or who mined or found them. On the other hand,I believe an amatuer archaeologist who spends his time, money, and effort to find the treasure deserves his fair reward. Both points have certain merits and certain faults. My point is and has always been that there IS middle ground, and EVERYONE...including Spain....would be better off if we all tried to work together instead acting solely with Greed as our motivator.

The archaeologists are greedy for recognition, treasure hunters are greedy for wealth and the pursuit of of our dreams, and Spain is greedy in the courts. If we could somehow take greed out of the equation, and get everyone to look at it as peers who care about the same things...the whole system could work beautifully. The treasure hunters are trying to help, but I can't say the same for academic archaeology, nor for Spain. The treasure hunters are the only ones who have the boats, funding, and skills nessecary (all in one place) to do this most important work.

What if worldwide we were excavating 60-80 wrecks simultaneously, museums and archies were getting a flood of incredible artifacts and data, Spain, France, Portugal, and Britain were getting a lot of their nautical heritage back that they would otherwise never see, and the workers (treasure hunters) were getting paid well to do what they love, and getting a finders bonus for doing their job well. Can you imagine how quickly our knowledge would advance, how interesting our museums would be, how busy our archaeologists would be. It's so damn simple that it hurts my head to watch large countries and academics who should be smarter, act like greedy children with little or no education. I cannot be the smartest guy on earth...so where are the smart archaeologists, where are the smart diplomats in Spain and elsewhere, where is the spirit that this is HUMAN history, and it belongs to all of us equally?

Jason
Jason, thank you ! You make a lot of sense, but not all treasure hunters care about history like you do.
I think you are in a special class (Treasure hunting Archaeologist ) You should reap the rewards and recognition for your work.
But I still feel strongly that the nation that the ship belong too, should have a say! and they should be the ones compensating you ! I agree 110% if you did not take interest in these wrecks they would probably lay buried forever.
Good luck and I look forward to seeing your finds.
Cheers, Sam

pat1011

Jun 28, 2008
Limerick
Detector(s) used
minelab explorer II

MORE AND BEYOND OSSY

so you think that if somebody will find treasure lets say famous amber amber room and few tons of gold on some U-2XX, germany should have say and compensate you?

MORE AND BEYOND OSSY

Bronze Member
Jul 27, 2008
BRISBANE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

pat1011 said:
MORE AND BEYOND OSSY

so you think that if somebody will find treasure lets say famous amber amber room and few tons of gold on some U-2XX, germany should have say and compensate you?
pat1011 :icon_scratch: so you think since it is stolen in the first place, and as a treasure hunter then it's OK for you to keep it all :icon_scratch:
Question for you 1011 do you advocate total returned of these stolen goods or you looking for an excuse so you can keep the treasure !!
Do you use some sort of pirate code on who should keep the treasure ?
Ossy

Alexandre

Bronze Member
Oct 21, 2009
Lisbon

Salvage Resumes of Ship Wrecked in 1700s; Marine Exploration’s RV Hispaniola
Searches Site for More Gold and Pearl Jewelry

MIAMI--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Marine Exploration, Inc. (OTCBB:MEXP) announces the
RV Hispaniola has returned to the site of the 1700 wreck the Company has
been salvaging. According to the contract extension and expansion recently
signed with the Dominican Republic, the Company is now allowed to explore
and recover treasure from additional shipwrecks in DR waters. The dive team
will resume searching for more treasure immediately.

“It is likely this ship sunk many years before the signing of our
Declaration of Independence. Every bit of the treasure recovered thus far
has been delivered to the Dominican Republic Sub Aquatic Office, Ministry of
Culture for inventory and division under our Host Country Contract. The
sunken treasure already salvaged includes gold and pearl jewelry, silver
fittings, dynasty china and other artifacts. We also have great photos of a
beautiful bronze cannon raised from the site and expect to upload them to
our website soon," notes Mark Goldberg, CEO Marine Exploration.

Marine Exploration, Inc. and joint venture partner Hispaniola Ventures, LLC,
headed by Burt D. Webber, Jr., plan to continue the shipwreck site survey
and salvage and anticipates locating and recovering additional historic
contract with the Dominican Republic, the Company has plans in place to
pursue multiple notable shipwrecks in Dominican Republic territorial and
jurisdictional waters.

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

Do you wish you were out there directing this recovery Alexandre?

aquanut

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2005
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Tesoro Tiger Shark

Jason,
I didn't know how to copy your post so I could quote it. However, I've been saying the same thing everywhere I can, but you've said it better!
Anyway, the bottom line is... The artifacts will eventually be claimed by the oceans and future generations will never see a thing. Saving the historic resources for future generations is just never going to happen. If the academics/government doesn't get aligned with us treasure salvors, all the thousands of wrecks will be lost to the seas. We're actually the best hope the beaurocracy has to recover the past.
Aquanut

rgecy

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2004
Beaufort, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Sea Hunter Mk II

John,

If you click on the "Quote" in the top right corner of the post, it will automatically open up the reply box and insert the quote in the post. Try it sometime! ;D ;D

Ossy, I have to agree, that some people just like to find treasure and then there are those who like to do the research to find and preserve the treasure. Treasure Hunting Archeaologist, hmmmm. Not sure it will go over very well with the other half. I think it would be considered and "Oxymoron".

Robert

Alexandre

Bronze Member
Oct 21, 2009
Lisbon

Salvor6 said:
Do you wish you were out there directing this recovery Alexandre?

Peter, I never direct recoveries.

I direct archaeological operations.

aquanut

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2005
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Tesoro Tiger Shark

RGecy said:
John,

If you click on the "Quote" in the top right corner of the post, it will automatically open up the reply box and insert the quote in the post. Try it sometime! ;D ;D

Ossy, I have to agree, that some people just like to find treasure and then there are those who like to do the research to find and preserve the treasure. Treasure Hunting Archeaologist, hmmmm. Not sure it will go over very well with the other half. I think it would be considered and "Oxymoron".

Robert

Thanks Robert

Alexandre

Bronze Member
Oct 21, 2009
Lisbon

Marine Exploration Weekly Salvage Report: Over 100 Valuable Artifacts
Recovered Including Silver Coins and Diamond Jewelry from 1700s Shipwreck

MIAMI--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Marine Exploration, Inc. (OTCBB: MEXP) weekly
salvage report announces recovering over one hundred artifacts from the site
of the 1700s wreck.
Marine Exploration President Paul Enright states: "Burt Webber and his crew
continue daily operations on a 1700s shipwreck in the Dominican Republic
contract area. We are very excited with the numerous one-of-a-kind valuables
recovered; especially the silver coins and gold, pearl and diamond jewelry.

Marine Exploration, Inc. and joint venture partner Hispaniola Ventures, LLC,
headed by Burt D. Webber, Jr., plan to continue the shipwreck site survey
and salvage and anticipates locating and recovering additional historic
contract with the Dominican Republic, the Company has plans in place to
pursue multiple notable shipwrecks in Dominican Republic territorial and
jurisdictional waters

SantaMaria

Jan 3, 2010

ScubaFinder said:
Yep, so many storms and so little money we had to come to the states for a little while. We're just here to talk with some new investors and take care of some of our personal things that have been neglected for almost a year. We should be back in the water in a month or two depending on how our investor meetings go. We put some shiny stuff on the deck before leaving, so I don't think new investors will be much of a problem, but you never know in an economy like we have now.

We'll be back!

Jason

Jason, we wanted to see what you guys were up to these days but the NCR website is down. Are you going to have it back up and running soon ?

Cheers and Happy New Year!
Nick

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

good morning Ladies & Gentlemen: I am fascinated with the basic attitude of many Archaeologists. Most of my Archaeologist friends are in complete accord with mutual cooperation on both land and sea projects as being most beneficial for all. Most 'also' have prime museum quality objects in their homes, theoretically for futher study, which somehow never is finished in their lifetime ??.

Many also admit that it encompasses a bit of Job security as well as personal ego. We all are subject to the same factors, but with different intensities and directions. In regards to peer pressure, most are afraid to publically be in favor of Amateur Archaeologists and salvors, since to do so may be career suicide.

Jason is above the normal salvage operator in abilities and motives. For this I have been waiting to sponsor him for entry into the Explorers Club.

www.explorers.org

In my case I spent years in researching and onsite investigation of the Lost, Legendary Jesuit mine "Tayopa". I eventually was successful. In the campaign I was entirely without any sponsoring, or help from any Archaeological group, despite asking for information. In most cases, my request was not even acknowledged. Even the Jesuits themselves flatly stated that they had never done any mining.

Now that I have found it, many wish to control it in it's entirety. Supposedly I am to be satisfied with the "honor"? of having found it, if that. No one even suggests that I somehow recoup the years of deprivation that my family had to live with and loss of potential earnings.
Under these conditions am I to be considered a looter etc. for wanting a bit of compensation?

At the moment I am simply standing by waiting to see if they will issue me excavation permits under favorable terms, if not, then I am prepared to keep the actual location to myself, for my life time at least. Yes, it is now common knowedge where it is basically, I have even posted Lat &Long in here, but I defy anyone to find the actual portal or the main deposit, witout the expenditure of a few millions of dollars. I sincerely doubt that any normal company would invest in such a 'silly, unbacked scheme', especially one that has been openly posted in a treasure forum and could be considered as just an ego booster witout any proof, just an over active imagination...

The same applies even more to Marine research and salvage. Today the no. of sponsors / backers for the research alone are just a gradually closing memory as more and more legislation and unfavorable publicity is passed.

With the present world situation being projected to last for another 10 - 20 years, the Archaeological profession may be withering on the vine as they say. Scarce public finds will be used for other, more popular projects.

I wonder in what other fields an Archaeology degree will fit?

VIVA La Domnican Republica

Don Jose de La Mancha

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

Hello Don Jose. I have also been waiting for your excavation permit to be issued so we can all see exactly what is in that portal. It seems to me that if you don't get it within the next few months, you never will. What is taking so long? Why the delay?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread