OP
OP
Indiana_Jonz

Indiana_Jonz

Jun 10, 2004
Fl.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We are close. I'm going back to the site to talk to a fisherman who called me last week and told me about a large anchor that he found and had not seen before. According to him, a man by the name of Rosco removed bronze cannons from very near the site back in the 60's. I do not know who this guy is but will do some research on him next week.

SFLOcenEng

Apr 19, 2008
Rio Seco
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
Dell Winders said:
I heard that current leases in the Bahamas, are being honored, and new leases are being considered if you meet the qualifications.

Spanish Well's fisherman strike it rich. Dell

That video makes me sick! If that's a regular thing there are more important problems in the Bahamas than treasure hunting!

captbonnie

Jan 22, 2007
Vero Beach FL
Detector(s) used
AQ1B
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Bahamas government has their laws online - very extensive website.
www.bahamas.gov.bs
(yes bs happens to be the countrys designator - my intials too - ha)
Moratorium still in place on historic shipwreck salvage but permit applications available online.

As far as salvors working?? hmm..... ::)

Roscoe Thompson found that silver bar at Gorda Cay. My Mom was in the charter business in Bahamas then - 70' (on deck) schooner with 9' draft - Roscoe wanted to charter the boat for the summer as with that draft could lay to comfortably on the edge of the bank there. But the summer season in New England was already booked with charters and that was a sure thing. Upon returning to Nassau in the Fall, she heard all the tales of Treasure circulating- and they weren't of just one silver bar.

Now, at 86, Mom is handling the boat for me on the 1715 Fleet -- and always anxious to get back to the Bahamas.

captbonnie

Jan 22, 2007
Vero Beach FL
Detector(s) used
AQ1B
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I liked the video Dell --

Spanish Wells has some of the hardest working people in the Bahamas

great divers, a long history of making a living on the sea, and an appreciation for
what they take from the waters

Reef Dawg

Dec 30, 2008
Delray Beach
Detector(s) used
Aqua Pulse Klein Side Scan Sonar
Anyone can apply for permits, but the question is, the moratorium can affect the issuance. And, at the moment, it is my understanding that no applications for true recovery have been approved. Now, whether that will change, I just point to decades of a myriad of changes and nothing consistent ever taking place.

It is my belief, that financial gains and lack of true resources will eventually lead to the moratorium being lifted maybe sooner than later.

We can only wish the best to those who are trying ever so vigilantly lobbying for the changes.

SFLOcenEng

Apr 19, 2008
Rio Seco
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
Dell Winders said:
SFLOcenEng said:
Dell Winders said:
I heard that current leases in the Bahamas, are being honored, and new leases are being considered if you meet the qualifications.

Spanish Well's fisherman strike it rich. Dell

That video makes me sick! If that's a regular thing there are more important problems in the Bahamas than treasure hunting!

SFLOcenEng, please accept my apologies. It was not my intention in posting to make you ill. If you wish I will remove the video?

If you had no salary, and your livelihood was solely dependent on the fish you were able to catch you would probably be as elated as the Fishermen in Spanish wells. Commercial fishing has been going on for thousands of years as a respected profession. Remember Simon Peter, from the biblical account? Dell
Dell,

No need to take it down. Just looks like they are taking a lot. If you depend on fish it might be wise to conserve them and use them responsibly a lot of those fish look small. As for Simon Peter? from the biblical account I don't remember them as I don't place much stock in fairy tales.

Baba awarded

Jul 17, 2012
Bahamas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Roscoe Thompson Sr. Removed two civil war cannons but that was in the late 80's early 90's.

Southern_Digger

May 21, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer and Excalibur; Tesoro Tejon; Fisher 1265-X; Garrett Master Hunter; White's Coinmaster; In closet: Bounty Hunter and Relco
Primary Interest:
Other
Three more weeks, and I'll be there!

Good luck in the Bahamas. I believe that I speak for many on this BB that we will be anxious to read some of your posts on operations; and photos too. Of course, this regards only to what you are allowed to reveal... hence, don't forget to take a laptop computer.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread