Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2005
Florida
Detector(s) used
JW Fishers Pulse 8X
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Hello gang,

I'm trying to gather as much pics and information of all the gold cross with emeralds and other unique and valuable treasures that have been found.

What I need is a pic of the artifact and general information ...for example; value, how found it, name of the shipwreck, country, etc.

All help will be truly appreciated.....

I found these 3 the first 2 are from the Atocha the one in the first pic has 77 carat, the second one was found in 1985 and the 3rd one was found by Tucker on the "San Pedro" wreck in Bermuda any additional information on these will be appreciated.

Thank you,

Chagy......

Attachments

• 77 carat Atocha 1622.jpg
    77 carat Atocha 1622.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 4,707
  • Atocha 1985.jpg
    Atocha 1985.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 2,046
  • bermuda tucker cross.gif
    bermuda tucker cross.gif
    2.9 KB · Views: 4,577

jeff k

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2006
Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's a couple more pics of the Tucker cross.

Attachments

• Cross.jpg
    Cross.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 3,509
  • Tucker_Cross.jpg
    Tucker_Cross.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 6,105

jeff k

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2006
Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not sure where this cross came from.

Attachments

• gldcross[1].gif
    gldcross[1].gif
    47.1 KB · Views: 5,840
OP
OP
Chagy

Chagy

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2005
Florida
Detector(s) used
JW Fishers Pulse 8X
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Jeff K said:
Here's a couple more pics of the Tucker cross.

Thanks Jeff!!! Any additional information?

Panfilo

Feb 20, 2007
Chagy:
Interesting subject you have touched on. For the last eight years I was President of the Emerald Producers Association here in Colombia and my main project was the creation of the worlds finest and most technologically advanced gemological laboratory for the certification of emeralds. This project is now a reality, is fully operational and we are expecting the President to inaugurate it in a few weeks. There are several nondestructive tests that can be performed on an emerald but its origin is very relevant to our shipwreck studies here as we can determine exactly which mine each emerald came from. I would like nothing more than to be able to do some tests on some of these magnificent crosses, at no cost to the owners.
http://www.fedesmeraldas.com/portel/libreria/php/decide.php?patron=01.0501
To answer your question I have been informed that a superb gold and emerald cross was found in Serranilla some years ago but because the party had no permits it was never reported. Let me see if these people are willing to show us a picture for your collection.

mad4wrecks

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2004
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, DetectorPro Headhunter, Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Don't forget this beauty from the Maravilla. :thumbsup:

Tom

Attachments

• Maravilla cross.jpg
    Maravilla cross.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 1,596

mad4wrecks

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2004
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
And there was this beautiful gold box which contained an emerald & gold cross, found in 2003 by Jon Wilson on the 1715 Cabin Wreck.

Wish I could find a larger picture.

Tom

Attachments

• Jon Wilson gold box.jpg
    Jon Wilson gold box.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 4,172
OP
OP
Chagy

Chagy

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2005
Florida
Detector(s) used
JW Fishers Pulse 8X
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Guys thanks for the pics and the information.... does anyone knows the estimated value of these pieces?

I know that the world of emeralds changed for ever when the Spaniards arrived in South America in the early 1500s. Although they originally plundered gold and silver the conquistadors had seem emeralds in Mexico and went looking for their source. By the time they fought their way trough the Colombian mountains to the area around Chivor in 1537 they had looted over 7,00 emerald’s from the local Indians. But the real price was yet to come. The Spaniards had heard of a mine with larger and finer crystals. Muzo was its magical name, and even today is unlique any other mine in the world. For perhaps a thousand years it has consistently produced the best and biggest emeralds ever found. Muzo lay hidden from the conquistadors until 1558. but once in control, the Spaniards enslaved the Indians to mine in grand scale.

Does anyone know what is the biggest emerald found in a shipwreck?

I know there is a pretty big emerald in the Fishers museum does anyone has a pic and can provide additional information on it, carats, estimated value?

Also interested on a list of the top 10 shipwrecks that have produced more treasure in the Caribbean….and if there is any good links to read the stories….

Once again thanks for the help….

Chagy…….

mad4wrecks

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2004
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Chagy, an important footnote regarding the Tucker cross....

"Years later, the famous Tucker emerald studded cross was stolen. At the time it was on display at the Aquarium museum. The theft was only discovered when Teddy Tucker went to select items to be displayed for the Queen's visit at the opening of the Maritime Museum in Dockyard. The thief had replaced the cross with a cheap plastic replica, and to this date the treasure has not been seen again."

http://www.shipwreckexpo.com/bermudashipwreckssanpedro.htm

Regarding the largest shipwreck emerald found, there is this story. ::) :tongue3:
http://www.adventures-inc.com/intro.html

Tom

Galleon Hunter

Jul 30, 2007
Florida
Detector(s) used
Aque Pulse
Tom: Here is a better image of the cross found by Captain Jon and Clyde Kuntz on the Cabin wreck

Attachments

• crossdoc.jpg
    crossdoc.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 2,047

daleshark

Mar 26, 2007
Central Valley, Ca.
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, DX-1 probe,6x10 DD , 4x6 shooter, eclipse 950
Hey guy's,
First timer to this site and all i have to say is WOW !
That is some awesome pieces of treasure that have been found. Thanks for the pics.

daleshark.

mad4wrecks

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2004
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Jack Haskins recovered this religious medallion from the 1733 Capitana el Rubi in 1987.

Attachments

• Haskins medallion.jpg
    Haskins medallion.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 4,098

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know there is a pretty big emerald in the Fishers museum does anyone has a pic and can provide additional information on it, carats, estimated value?

Yeah, it's 77 carats, about an inch square cube. Can't find a pic online.

It's been years since I saw it, but funny how it still sticks in my mind. . . . . .

mad4wrecks

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2004
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
John,send me your address via email. I found our mag data for the area you requested. Tom

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread