Civil War wrecks

Freebooter

Tenderfoot
Mar 8, 2009
Hello all,
Not all treasure is of gold. Now like anyone else, I would love to find gold and riches and all too. But I am also fascinated with the Civil War Ironclads, Union or Confederate, what was in them, from personal effects to tools, to weapons. I read an article about Confederate ironclads, where they are resting now (or their remains). Some were destroyed during or after the war to clear channels, etc.. But some are fairly intact, under several feet of mud and silt. I would love to to see what all is in them, from tools to weapons, where things were mounted and stowed aboard, etc.. For example, in 1961 a salvage was attempted on the CSS Neuse in E. N.C.. The article said that at first the ship was in pristeen condition other than the fact that most of the above casemate had been carried away since the war by floods, "freshets", etc. But over a period ofyears, half hearted attempts at salvage, the ship was broken up. But the article said that in the galley was found a bottle of Lee and Perrins woostershire sauce (I did not even know it was around then). II would like to have taken a look at the crew's berth area. That kind of stuff fascinates me!! For example, I would like to know where the galley was, how it was set up, what all else was in it, etc.

Does anyone else get into wrecks for things other than gold and valuables? Just curious.
Later,
Dave

E

elle

119 views and no one out there gets excited about the history of Civil War vessels?

Freebooter, I'm short on time today. But you know, I'm going to make the time to respond because I truly appreciate your interest and enthusiasm for these war wrecks.

Yes! I also love this subject of maritime history. I'm a huge Civil War fan! In grade school, I used to memorize all the battlefields and officers' names for fun and my parents used to say, "Geeze, I hope this girl gets a life one day!" ;D
I even wanted to do the Civil War reenactment at the local museum but they wouldn't allow women soldiers!

This is part of my family's newest collection:

civilwar.jpg

In terms of wrecks, read this article. It gives us an idea of how many war vessels are in our waters. Yes, it would be a dream to work on one of these wrecks and locate every item belonging to a devoted military man. We should all appreciate this aspect of our maritime heritage, along with all the other war shipwrecks. To get an idea of how this history should affect one's heart, all one has to do is walk through the winding roads of Arlington Cemetary and soak in the great sacrifices that were made!

http://geocartablog.com/?p=996

All the best,
Laura :)

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
there are several confederate blockade runners in and around florida that could provide both relics and wealth as well --since they at times carried gold to buy much needed supplies with .

E

elle

Thank you, Ivan, for donating some valuable input.
I knew I could always count on you! :hello:

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
The USS Kearsarge was a Mohican-class screw-sloop built during the American Civil War. Ordered to European waters, Kearsarge famously defeated the Confederate raider CSS Alabama on June 19, 1864. Kearsarge remained in service until 1894, when it ran aground on Roncador Cay.

The survivors' stories are interesting, and "X" marks the spot on at least one chart as to where the bones of the Kearsarge lie today. But "you can't get there from here" without a sturdy vessel--and maybe a permit.
Don....

sphillips

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2008
Western NC
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
According to Wikipedia, Roncador Cay is about 85miles east of Providencia Is in the western caribbean, once claimed by the US and Columbia, rights relinquished to Columbia in '72. Navy may even have a claim on this wreck.

Indiana_Jonz

Jun 10, 2004
Fl.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know of the location of a blockade runner in the Bahamas. In 35' of pristine blue water. Timbers start 3' below sand and alot of artifacts to be found. Also, close to the wreck we found a 2'x2' piece of copper sheating, dont know where it came from. Possible gold on board?

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
the state of florida is currently "working" on some CW era confederate smuggler wrecks --the scottish cheiftan and the katy dale -- in the hillsbourgh river * close to tampa -- the state dept of archies "found" it recently --although a local man had already found the wrecks (and had proof of it) years ago and asked repeatly for permits (which he was not issued)

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ivan salis said:
the state of florida is currently "working" on some CW era confederate smuggler wrecks --the scottish cheiftan and the katy dale -- in the hillsbourgh river * close to tampa -- the state dept of archies "found" it recently --although a local man had already found the wrecks (and had proof of it) years ago and asked repeatly for permits (which he was not issued)

That's a shame that someone can find such an important and historical item, yet they can't ever take part in its recovery... hence why I'm not sure that I'd ever be able to report such a find to the state. I'm glad I've got a THing buddy who is a registered state archie.... :icon_pirat:

Bran <><

MichaelB

Aug 13, 2005
Mobile Bay, Alabama
Read the report from the Smithsonian and NUMA on the USS Tecumseh. She was the ironclad that was sunk by a torpedo at The Battle of Mobile Bay. She is in better shape than the USS MOnitor was but the currents at the mouth of Mobile Bay made raising her a very expensive proposition. They did notice someone had taken an underwater cuter to her to reach in and take personal effects. They also collected plates, buttons, etc and they now reside in Washington D.C. A buoy can clearly be seen about 150 feet from the bank of Fort Morgan.

MichaelB

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions