1719 Portuguese shipwreck in the Caribbean

Alexandre

Bronze Member
Oct 21, 2009
Lisbon
It's sister ship did arrive in Lisbon, only to be wrecked at the mouth of the Tagus river. This coin is from it's resting place. I am guessing several more of these will be somewhere around Haiti... ;)

HPIM0985.jpg

HPIM0986.jpg

HPIM0989.jpg

Chagy

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2005
Florida
Detector(s) used
JW Fishers Pulse 8X
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Around Haiti? Could you please elaborate

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Was there any kegs of mercury on board?

cillosis

Nov 3, 2005
Norfolk, VA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT/White's Prizm 5
Probably a weird question but why would somebody be curious about cases of mercury? Is it valuable? Wouldn't it be hard to recover?

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mercury is valuable but is also toxic.Its easy to recover useing a vacuum rig.I found a wreck in the DR that has gold bars,timber,cannons and mercury was also found on it.

OP
OP
Alexandre

Alexandre

Bronze Member
Oct 21, 2009
Lisbon
cillosis said:
Probably a weird question but why would somebody be curious about cases of mercury? Is it valuable? Wouldn't it be hard to recover?

I recovered about a gallon of it from the wreck of an early 17th century Spanish galleon, using a syringe. :) It really works pretty well and it's quite fun, because the metal is liquid - under water.

Mercury was used in the Bartolome Patio process, in order to refine silver and gold ore. By using mercury, the yield increase is just awesome. It also tends to kill whoever happens to be doint that process rather quickly, with the Minamata disease.

angra%20d.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread