Santa Rosa (1726)

Alexandre

Bronze Member
Oct 21, 2009
Lisbon
Does anyone know if Odyssey is still trying to find this ship, off Cabo Agostinho, Brazil?

LISBOA 28. de Março: A frota, que sahio em 20. do corrente deste porto para a Bahia de Todos os Santos, se compunha de 18. navios mercantis, comboyados pela nao Santa Rosa à ordem do Capitaõ de mar, e guerra Bartholomeu Freire. Com ella partiraõ juntamente o navio N. Senhora da Luz, para o Rio de Janeiro, N. Senhora do Rosario, para Pernambuco, e N. Senhora de Ponha de França, para Angola.

LISBOA .28. de Novembro: Nos dias 17, 20, 21 & 22. deste mez entrou no porto desta Cidade com viagem. de 66. dias, e carga de açucar, sola, tabaco, madeiras, e outros generos, a Frota da Bahia de todos os Santos composta de 49. navios de commercio, de cujo numero pertencem 7. à Cidade do Porto, comboyados todos pela nao de guerra N. Senhora da Nazareth, à ordem do Capitaõ de mar, e guerra Pedro de Oliveira Muge, havendo se perdido infelizmente em hum incendio na altura do Cabo de S. Agostinho, aos 14. dias de navegação a nao Santa Rosa, que lhe servia de Capitania, commandada pelo Capitaõ de mar, e guerra Bartholomeu Freire de Araujo, em que vinhaõ embarcadas 700. pessoas. Em companhia desta Frota veyo tambem a nao N. Senhora do Livramento, que partio de Goa em 24. de Janeiro deste anno, e vem por Capitaõ della Antonio Francisco Leyras.

LISBOA 12. de Dezembro: Segunda feira sahio a correr a Costa a nao de guerra N. Senhora das Ondas, de que he Capitaõ de mar, e guerra Dom Manoel Henriques, para dar caça aos navios corsarios de Barbaria, que foraõ vistos nestes mares. Os Soldados do Regimento da Armada Real fizeraõ Sabbado Passado na Igreja Parrochial de S. Paulo Exequias solemnes pelas almas dos seus companheiros, (na Milicia, e na Irmandade de N. Senhora da Boa viagem) que acabáraõ infelizmente na nao Santa Rosa; e prégou neste funeral o P. Hippolyto Moreyra da Companhia de Jesus.

dagfoto

Oct 9, 2009
Ahh yes .. the mystery of the SANTA ROSA...

the "internet-archives" contain alot of further-more interesting questions ??

In furtherance of the negotiations for the permit, it became prudent to
join forces with a South American competitor, Salvanav, to form a bidding
Consortium. The Consortium rendered the original South American Consultancy
Agreement with Odyssey inappropriate, and under a Joint Venture Agreement
dated August 1995 with the Company (Seahawk Deep Ocean Tech), Odyssey
agreed to forego its entitlement to the percentage of the gross recovery
of the project and instead become equal partners with the Company (Seahawk)
in a South American company known as Pesqamar,that owned half of a consortium,
known as Conpas.

The Company (Seahawk) and Odyssey each owned 24.5% of Pesqamar, with the remaining
51% being owned by Brazilians.

Following the completion of the agreement, the Company (Seahawk)
owns 428.75 of the 1,750 shares of Common Voting Stock and 1,459.5 of the 3,250
shares of Preferred Non-Voting stock in Pesqamar. In October 1996, Conpas completed a search of almost 400 square miles of its
search area and revealed 25 anomalies with characteristics indicative of possible
sites of shipwrecks.

Conpas visually inspected some of these anomalies with an ROV during 1997
and 1998. On April 27, 1999 the members of the Consortium of Conpas signed
an agreement to terminate Conpas and apply for two new permits in the names
of Pesqamar and Salvanav. The permits will be for separate areas of
approximately 50% each of the previously permitted search area.

The Pesqamar area includes the prime anomalies previously revealed in the search of
October 1996. Under the terms of the Agreement, the previous members of
the Consortium of Conpas will operate independently, including the provision
of project finance and offshore operations.

In the event either party recovers the particular shipwreck involved in the Project,
it must share with the other party 4% of the gross proceeds of the shipwreck after the
South American Government has been paid.

On April 31, 1999 the applications for the new permits were submitted to the
South American Government and Pesqamar received its new permit in July 1999.
The Company plans for Pesqamar to visually inspect the balance of the 25 anomalies
before the end of 2000.

It has not been verified that the Santa Rosa has been located,
although some local Recife scuba divers report an American salvage
company did find the ship. The wooden vessel was broken into pieces
and buried deep in the sand making recovery of artifacts extremely
difficult and no treasure was found.

To add to the mystery .. why is "The Company (Seahawk)" stock still on the market
and still being traded, for not having been in Business for the last 9 years??
( 25% \ 500 million ) ??

and What happened to a member of the Stemm family who was a promenient member of the original Seahawk and Seahawk I adventures. Has he taken up residence in Brazil to
"keep his eyes on something "???

So 500 Million is about how much in todays Dollars ?? only time will tell !

OP
OP
Alexandre

Alexandre

Bronze Member
Oct 21, 2009
Lisbon
Well, according to the cargo manifest of the Santa Rosa, kept at the National Mint Archives (a very secluded, non indexed place) it seems that about 95% of the cargo was passed to another vessel.... ;)

dagfoto

Oct 9, 2009
I guess they had to pass it over very quickly ..

The story is told how the great ship loaded to its capacity, 26 tons of gold bullion
and coins sailed from the port of Salvador on a gusty rough water day in late August
of 1726.

Then on September 6th, as the huge ship, riding low in the water passed Recife,
a huge explosion blew the ship apart and it quickly sank. Everyone died with the
exception of 7 people out of 700. No one knew if the explosion was an accident or
the result of sabotage.

what hae become of the groups Pesqamar and Salvanav

OP
OP
Alexandre

Alexandre

Bronze Member
Oct 21, 2009
Lisbon
The ship burned, yes. But slowly.

This is where good, well fundamented, archival research plays a pivotal role. You tell me where that story came from and I will tell you where to find the actual 1726 documents that tell the story as it went.

Vox veritas

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Between 1999 and 2000 I spend a research for Blue Water in the archives of Spain. Antonio Camarao worked in Portugal and other countries finding important documents. Sincerely I don't believe that the jetsam has been located and recovered the possible load.

dagfoto

Oct 9, 2009
Well lets put this Ship to rest then :icon_thumright:... post the correct info as you have it , and we'll move on to the next wreck !! thanks :read2:

OP
OP
Alexandre

Alexandre

Bronze Member
Oct 21, 2009
Lisbon
Vox veritas said:
Between 1999 and 2000 I spend a research for Blue Water in the archives of Spain. Antonio Camarao worked in Portugal and other countries finding important documents. Sincerely I don't believe that the jetsam has been located and recovered the possible load.

Claudio, as opposed to you, Antonio Camarao is not that good as an archival researcher... ;)

Vox veritas

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Alexandre said:
Vox veritas said:

Claudio, as opposed to you, Antonio Camarao is not that good as an archival researcher... ;)

I say for the obtained results, and they were very good. I have seen the documents.

hung

Jul 16, 2009
Detector(s) used
Tubedec A9000, Mineoro FG90, OKM Bionic X4
Primary Interest:
Other
Alexandre said:
Well, according to the cargo manifest of the Santa Rosa, kept at the National Mint Archives (a very secluded, non indexed place) it seems that about 95% of the cargo was passed to another vessel.... ;)

Are you absolute sure about the above information? You are the first I know to date to have said that. Are you sure the manifest mentions this?

OP
OP
Alexandre

Alexandre

Bronze Member
Oct 21, 2009
Lisbon
Well, it says so. No reason to be lying about it. It's the gold cargo manifest of the Nossa Senhora da Nazareth, a log that was to be always kept by every ship's captain according to the King's orders - and was always delivered upon arrival, to the Coin House (now the National Mint) officials.

This is a very secluded and not very well know archive, it doesn't even has an internet site (for it's story and importance check, in Portuguese: http://www.historiacolonial.arquivonacional.gov.br/media/paesleme.pdf ).

Full adress is:

Centro de Documentação e Informação
Arquivo Histórico
Rua da Escola Politécnica, 135, Lisbon
Monday to Friday from 9,30 h till 12,45 h and from 14,00 h till 16,15 h
Director: Dr.ª Margarida Ortigão Ramos
Email: [email protected]
Fax: +351 217 107 708

The Director is a very sweet person - until, that is, the moment you mention the Santa Rosa: she says that if she had a dime for every phone call or letter she has received from Brazilian or American citizens regarding the Santa Rosa, she could buy the National Mint for herself.

(as you have guessed, she showed me the original log - I couldn't have found it on my own) :)

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Alexandre, did you say "gold coins?"

hung

Jul 16, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Alexandre said:
Well, it says so. No reason to be lying about it. It's the gold cargo manifest of the Nossa Senhora da Nazareth, a log that was to be always kept by every ship's captain according to the King's orders - and was always delivered upon arrival, to the Coin House (now the National Mint) officials.

This is a very secluded and not very well know archive, it doesn't even has an internet site (for it's story and importance check, in Portuguese: http://www.historiacolonial.arquivonacional.gov.br/media/paesleme.pdf ).

Full adress is:

Centro de Documentação e Informação
Arquivo Histórico
Rua da Escola Politécnica, 135, Lisbon
Monday to Friday from 9,30 h till 12,45 h and from 14,00 h till 16,15 h
Director: Dr.ª Margarida Ortigão Ramos
Email: [email protected]
Fax: +351 217 107 708

The Director is a very sweet person - until, that is, the moment you mention the Santa Rosa: she says that if she had a dime for every phone call or letter she has received from Brazilian or American citizens regarding the Santa Rosa, she could buy the National Mint for herself.

(as you have guessed, she showed me the original log - I couldn't have found it on my own) :)

Muito obrigado Alexandre, eu tenho informações não oficiais do Santa Rosa no Brasil de alguns membros da marinha. Vou te mandar uma mensagem em privado.

dagfoto

Oct 9, 2009
And is there New Life coming to the coast of Brazil ??

http://www.arq.de/english/mainindex.htm

January 2010 – Wreck investigation in Brazil

Arqueonautas was invited by a group of Brazilian divers and entrepreneurs for a marine archaeological reconnaissance on a historical wreck site recently discovered.

Further steps to protect this endangered XVI century wreck site are presently under discussion with the Brazilian Navy. Independently sponsors are being sought to finance this recovery operation. This could be the oldest European wreck so far discovered within the territorial waters of Brazil.

hung

Jul 16, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I will try to see if I get any info in Brazil.
In this meantime, maybe Alexandre can have some clues with Arqueonautas....

Batavia

Jul 29, 2006
Paris/Jakarta
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have heard that Sverker Halstrom's team was busy with this project...!? And they are financed by the same group who is financing Odyssey, Arqueonautas etc... The Fraser's group. :dontknow:

hung

Jul 16, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
OK. Found it. It was located close to Santa Catarina in Brazil. It's believed to be one of Sebastiao Caboto's ships.
The University of SC is now responsible for the research. Altough there's no mentioning of arqueonautas, it's really believed to be the oldest identified shipwreck in Brazil to date. Te sediment layer amounts 24 feet deep.
Whole story bellow. Sorry, don't have time to translate. Use your favorite tool for that.
http://leiturasdahistoria.uol.com.br/ESLH/Edicoes/0/descoberta-nau-do-seculo-16-143911-1.asp

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread