The wreck of the San Pedro el Mayor

DOGMAN ( U.K )

Oct 26, 2009
Devon
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
They say that there are enough wrecks along the coast of the counties of Devon and Cornwall, that if the tide went right out, you could walk across the remains of each wreck without touching foot on the ocean bed. One such wreck the San Pedro, was wrecked right at the entrance to Hope cove (10 miles from my house) in 1558 during the terrible storms encountered during the Spanish Armada. The ship was classed as a hospital ship and carried a crew of 30 sailors and 100 soldiers. It was also carrying spare cannons, food and medicines should they be required during the battle.
The ship having been driven on a large rock rising from the sea at the entrance to the cove, soon broke up and sank. the 40 - 50 survivors were soon rounded up and eventually castrated. Even today, remains from the wreck particulary after a storm get washed up onto the beach with the occassional gold and silver coins being found 'eyes only' close to the lifeboat slip.
Other cargo from wrecks along the coast are listed as boxes of uncut diamonds, ming porcelain and gold and silver coinage.
anyone visiting this part of england are most welcome to beach detect with me. I'm sure some spare machines etc can be 'scrounged' up for use. the map shows just a fraction of coastline in the area I live with the map covering approx 30 miles of coastline.
The receiver of wrecks doesn't allow wreck diving. However the beaches down to the waterline are okay.

Attachments

• 20 mile stretch of S. Devon coastline.jpg
    20 mile stretch of S. Devon coastline.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 751
OP
OP
DOGMAN ( U.K )

DOGMAN ( U.K )

Oct 26, 2009
Devon
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Photo shows the area today including the rock on which the ship was wrecked.

Attachments

• hope cove1.jpg
    hope cove1.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 687

shaun7

Gold Member
May 20, 2008
uk
Detector(s) used
tesoro eldorado, tesoro lobo,goldmaxx xp
"Castrated" :o Was there a particular reason for this sort of punishment?

I'd love to have a go at finding that Silver and Gold with you Dogman, but the missus has already gone and booked Yorkshire for
next year :BangHead:

Have you found any of the coins?

OP
OP
DOGMAN ( U.K )

DOGMAN ( U.K )

Oct 26, 2009
Devon
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Not yet mate, no such luck. I'll wait for the next storms to arrive. Also, we've not been living down here that long, and I've just got into beach detecting. However, I've done a lot of research and have some amazing potential beaches due to the info i've found. When I get a chance, i'll post an extract from another true story on here for members to read, as It centres around the U.S troops killed during exercise Tiger on Slapton Sands in 1944. (This is only 2 miles down the road from me). As there are so many beaches and coves to detect around here, I'm spoilt for choice. Whites surfmaster PI pro from staffs detectors will hopefully be on order next week if he hasn't sold it by then.
Currently trying to find a fabricator/welder to make me a sandscoop. Email me if you're coming down this way. :icon_thumleft:
I don't know why they castrated them? must of hurt. lol

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread