Testing The Johnson Haynie Detector

signumops

Feb 28, 2007
U.S.
Detector(s) used
Garrett, Minelab, Aqua-Pulse
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have waited till after the Fisher Contractor meeting held last weekend to post this message. The meeting itself had nothing to do with this posting beyond the fact that the C-8 boat had found a particular cannon during the first week of October and we wanted to report its position before I made any public remarks about it. Actually, I have nothing in particular to say about the cannon, but I do have something interesting to say about a method of locating it. You can see pictures of the cannon at:
www.pixlbndr.com/wrecker/Travis where there is a simple directory listing of some JPGā€™sā€¦ nothing fancy, but available.

Now, you can get to this cannon if you have the fix, or, you can find it with a magnetometer, Iā€™m sure, and I am confident that there are a number of salvors in recent years who were aware of its location (but Art McKee seemed to have missed it somehow!!!). Cal Johnson and Bill Haynie showed me another way to find it, using this device they have. I took them to the area: they located it. But, that is the most recent location they have shown me. I have been dragging them up and down the coast for more than a month, testing this ā€œthingā€ they have to see how it works. Its very odd, but, to a certain extent, pretty reliable. In fact, it is much easier to use in a vehicle where you can cover some ground in any direction to triangulate your bearingsā€¦ a boat is an ideal vehicle in this regard. I have taken them to the shore and out to sea with the intent of testing targets that I know of, some of which are probably only known to myself and a few others. So now, as a favor to Cal and Bill, I am dropping this dime on the Treasurenet Shipwreck forum.

Some months back I made a posting about a slew of waypoints that had fallen into my hands that noted locations where a shrimper had hung nets.

1100.gif

Here is a screen snapshot of a portion of the ArcGIS map hosting those positions. Bill and Cal picked up on this and gave me a buzz. They wanted to show me their new type of ā€œmagnetometerā€ (Billā€™s wording). Iā€™m only in this business to find things, so I donā€™t pass up an opportunity to check out a new technology, especially since it is only provided as a service, rather than an off-the-shelf expense. Thatā€™s right, you canā€™t buy this thing, and you canā€™t rent it. You have to hire Cal or Bill to run the service for you. Bear in mind that I did not hire themā€¦ I just ran them all over the place to see this device operate.

To look at it, youā€™ll swear that it seems too simple. Small box with battery inputs and a compass needle, and a common compass at that! Carumba! itā€™s a Boy Scout orienteering compass you can buy at Walmart! Cal has built a number of models and Bill has one of his own. Iā€™ve seen both of them working, and both working in tandem with identical results. Basically, you use it by sweeping it in an arc and the needle will dwell on a bearing. You note your bearing, then move to another triangulation point. Note your bearing from the second point, and a third, fourth, and so on. This methodology requires that you have some way of plotting your bearings to see where they cross, and Bill has been using a mapping program on his laptop to do this, however, his map-ware uses charts of such a small scale that it can be difficult to determine, within dozens of feet the potential point of interest. However, when these bearings are coupled with well-defined datum points (in other words, X and Y fixes to the typical thousandths of a minute of distance we are required to report for the Fisher contracts), they can be plotted more precisely. I have been using my own software to do this, but, you could actually pull it off using Google Earth in many cases.

There are some caveats:

1. you can not approach north to south
2. larger man-made objects must only occupy a field dead-opposite of the sweeping arc, otherwise, the needle will dwell on them instead of other unidentified targets
3. the needle will spin when you are in the immediate influence of the object located, therefore, when you cross over it, you will lose the dwell of the needle and must move off some distance to re-acquire the objectā€™s influence
4. there are no metrics for the device, in other words, you can not be certain what distance away from the object you are until you approach it, and, you have no way of knowing exactly what the object may be, nor if it is being affected by other surrounding objects
5. object size is not necessarily a denominator in the function of an objectā€™s attractive attributes (at least this is not currently known to Cal or Bill)
6. objectā€™s metallic composition can not be determined in advanceā€¦ ferrous or non-ferrous is unknown

So, at this point, you ask ā€œWhatā€™s the secret and where did these guys come up with it?ā€
You have to ask them: I wonā€™t say how they came by the idea, and frankly, Iā€™m not real sure, under the circumstances that they can really tell you much more. They never agreed to fill me in on exact details, but, have made themselves completely available for testing and disclosure of as much info as they can comfortably provide.

My own evidence:

I have to tell you that I have had no previous contact with Cal or Bill, but we certainly have a great deal in common, both in working history and in residential history. We also know many of the same people, have known many of the same people, and, therefore can come up with many common opinions based on similar experiences. Age does have its own grace. We also like the same beer.

At this point, I would like to hear from any of you out there who had dealings with Frank Brawley. I knew him well enough and worked with him in the oil fields of Louisiana as well as in Brevard Countyā€™s near-shore waters.

Anyway, Bill and Cal have no serious experience with any of the 1715 wrecks, nor were they aware of any other interesting wreck locations south of Cape Canaveral (do not take this to mean that they have no interests elsewhere along the Florida East Coast). The first test was a demonstration of the device locating a silver bar that Cal rescued from a 17th century wreck in a faraway land (donā€™t ask me, ask him). Yep, damn thing would dwell on it from about 50 feet away, and I intentionally had him demonstrate this at a beach where Indian Harbour Beach and Satellite Beach share their common boundary. Thereā€™s supposedly a wreck there that fetches cobs, so I hoped they might get a hit, but, when we arrived there, there was a dive boat near shore, divers in the water, and a set of buoys strung out. I donā€™t know who they wereā€¦ probably some DNR types from a college doing some sort of marine life survey, but I donā€™t know for sure.

5.gif

They also took me to Melbourne Beach where they tried to impress me with a fix and a bearing they thought lined up with a wreck symbol in their computerā€™s mapping software. I assessed this particular chart and immediately determined that they really needed somebody to take them to some locations NOT published on common software mapping data sets. I can certainly do that, but on this first introductory excursion, I only had a good cigar in my pocket and enough change to buy a round of draft beer. It was pretty hot, and I had a lot of questions, so we retired to a shady nook and had a round. End of first test.

Second testā€¦ I took them to a beach location where I suspect a wreckpile to lay. Worked this one over from A1A as well as along the beach. Bingo! Pointed to the spot from several hundred feet away. Also pointed to some other spots in the dunes, which we would have had to bulldoze to get to. This is not much of a test as I am only taking them to a location where I SUSPECT something could be found.

Third testā€¦ I took Bill and Cal to Wabasso and walked them a good way up the beach toward the ā€œSpring of Whitbyā€ location. This time I had my GPS with me and have many waypoints in the area, particularly two huge anchors lying about 1400 feet offshore along with some other magā€™d targets that have yet to be excavatedā€¦ very strong targets.

1.gif

If you are familiar with this location you know that there are large houses along the beach fortified by very serious seawalls. As far as I know they are sheet piles made of steel, so this would be a test of Caveat 2.

6.gif

7.gif

8.gif

Cal tried several models of the device and immediately dwelled upon the location of the anchors. The anchors are about 100 feet apart and we were about 1400 feet away from them, so given the coarseness of the compass and the graphics of my GPS display at that distance, you have to be satisfied with the results. We began walking south, and, once again, the device acquired a bearing on my mag targets. Very impressive! They also found another hit, which we computed to be around 600 feet out. As we approached the parking lot at the end of 510, the devices definitely picked up the San Martin.

9.gif

The attraction was irresistible. End of test three.

Fourth testā€¦ Bill came by an original chart, vis a vis Frank Brawley, vis a vis, Bill Andrews, vis a vis Mel Fisher. It is a pretty precise location of two mid-1800 to late 1800 vessels as they can be triangulated from the old Coast Guard Station in the area of Floridana Beach. The place is a roadhouse now and recently the watch tower was taken down, but, for you old-timers, it is a landmark and can be found on any USGS chart dating from the 1949 editions of the charts of the Grant Quad, or maybe the Sebastian NW Quad (I donā€™t have them on screen at the moment). Bill and I walked the baseline and had absolutely no trouble pinning down these two wrecks from shore. Bear in mind that Bill had no real idea where he was, but I did. These wrecks have already been worked over, and, once again they are about 1000 feet offshore. This test is definitely one that would be repeatable and I have the computations and rectified charts available for examination. End of test four.

Fortunately, the first week of October (2009) was a superb week for diving. Flat seas, clear water in the Wabasso area and sunshine. Water was warm from top to bottom. Seems that every other contractor had put their toys away for the year and we were the only boat on station. We worked a week and during that week found the cannon I mentioned early on. The last day of the week, when we knew our dockage bill was about to run out, and the seas were going to pick up, we took Bill and Cal out on the C-8 boat to test their locator devices. Leaving Sebastian Inlet and heading south past the Cabin Wreck, I had Travis run inshore of some mag hits recorded in the late 60ā€™s. The targets are not generally known to most salvors, and they have yet to be verified. Calā€™s needle homed in on them. Amazing! Next we swung by the Roberts. Big attraction there, for some distance moving southward it stayed on focus for about 2500 feet or so.

3.gif

Next target were the big anchors at the Spring of Whitby. Picked them up from about 100 yards, but had some error when in the immediate area.

4.gif

There must be a lot of stuff in that vicinity. We could not get a good dwell and the water was murky so we could not see the anchors from the surface. We moved on toward the San Martin. Big attraction there and the needle stayed focused upon that spot until we approached the cannon in our designated work zone. We passed shoreward of it and hove to. Bingo! Both Cal and Bill picked it up in tandem from a distance of about 50 feet. Very strong attraction. So then we moved out some distance and began a pattern when we got some hits and crossed over them to spin the needlesā€¦ we took MOB fixes and dropped anchor about 100 feet inshore of the location. Water was about 20 feet deep here and the vis was about 30 feet, so Travis and I swam it for a while and could find nothing except coral/limestone ridges between beds of sand. End of test five.

So, there you have it so far. Now, the question is ā€œHow does it work?ā€

Induced Polarityā€¦. Not in the traditional sense.
Magneto Telluricā€¦. Close but no cigar.
Magneto metricā€¦. Certainly similar, but, this finds any kind of metal.
Ley linesā€¦ Thatā€™s in the realm of fairy dust and I canā€™t draw a parallel on the subject.
Telepathyā€¦ I wore my aluminum ā€œcone of silenceā€ dunce cap the whole time (well what did you expect?)

I think, at the moment, that the thing works by sensing gravitational disturbances through the use of an induced polarity acting upon the compass needle which, in turn, temporarily neutralizes the real magnetic attributes of the needle. Part of this assumption is based upon the fact that it will not work while traveling along a polar line, and upon the ā€˜factā€™ that it can apparently sense where large objects, like automobiles had PREVIOUSLY been located. I would have to really test this last feature under serious control to make sense of it. Thatā€™s about all I have to say about this at the moment. You heard it here first.

2.gif

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
signumops

signumops

Feb 28, 2007
U.S.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Fisheye:
I think you got pretty close with door number 2. Thanks for the tip! I'm going to look into that. Seems to be pretty interesting, but I'm not a breadboard/resistor kind of guy unfortunately. Choice 1 and 3 seem to be closer to magneto telluric theory.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
šŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
very interesting --home made mag of sorts

hung

Jul 16, 2009
Detector(s) used
Tubedec A9000, Mineoro FG90, OKM Bionic X4
Primary Interest:
Other
This is a simple magnetic anomaly detector with a compass pointing to the direction of the anomaly source. It can be affected by other local anomalies such as HV and areas with heavy trash. Since it's just sensing anomalous magnetic fields, it cannot tell ferrous from non ferrous (yes, they differ).
For this, something like RT Examiner, Electroscopes or any dowsing based gadget are efective as well and even beyond.

OP
OP
signumops

signumops

Feb 28, 2007
U.S.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ivan:
NOT a magnetometer really. Graviometer more than likely. I don't really care one way or the other so long as I can put it to work. I've actually seen it pick up a single reale in a mowed lawn, so all I can think is that there is some disturbance in polarity of ambient gravitational fields. Lots more investigation is called for prior to making any definitive declarations.

My next obvious test, if I could afford to do it, would be to go airborne, negate ground effect and see if it could locate nearby aircraft. If not, then I would have to assume that ground effect is the key.

OP
OP
signumops

signumops

Feb 28, 2007
U.S.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hung:
Nice try... no cigar. Put away the coat hanger wire and willow whips. Repeatability is the key to success.

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Last year Bill Haynie came to Tampa to demonstrate his machine to my treasure hunting group. We took him to Cedar Key to search for a specific target. I was really impressed with the performance of his machine. I was also very curious as to how it works. That night while Bill was asleep I took a peek inside. Inside is a giant cockroach with what looks like dowsing rods! It seems the rods are magnetized and the compass needle lines up with the rods. The flash picture I took startled the roach and he jumped out. I instinctively stepped on him. Sorry Bill. The next day Bill's machine didn't work and he went home. Here are the pics I took:

Attachments

• box1.jpg
    box1.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 2,119
  • box2.jpg
    box2.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 2,615
Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HI Salvor: Was that a male or female cockroach?? Very Important.

Don Jose de La Mancha

p.s. the first radios that I built were extremely simple things, yet they worked, in fact in WW-II I made them again to listen to the Armed forces radios.

An ant., a tuneable coil, a rectifier by using either a razor blade or generally a galena crystal, and earphones. So mere simplicity doesn't actually negate an apparatus' ability to work.

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
How can you tell the sex of a cockroach?

OP
OP
signumops

signumops

Feb 28, 2007
U.S.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SWR:
It depends upon how long a cockroach can hold his breath, I think....
I knew that dig would be coming from Pete. That's his inside joke directed at Bill. I'm not part of it.

I can't give you a serious answer because I have not tried it. But, Cal seems to think that it would work. I dunno.
So far, from what I have seen myself, I would rely on it generally, not specificaly. Its the case where, before the invention of telescopes, men stare at the night sky and point to the stars, having no way to determine which were the largest or the closest. "Scope" is exactly the right word and that is what this thing needs. I have some ideas based upon the premise of metered distraction when a dwell event occurs.

Otherwise, I don't get the impression that depth is relevant (maybe it is) and I only think on a scale of practicality for the dive operations that I can personally support.

hung

Jul 16, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
signumops said:
Hung:
Nice try... no cigar. Put away the coat hanger wire and willow whips. Repeatability is the key to success.

Signumops, the phenomena these kind of devices detect are the same one. Whether it's your friend's gadget or the dowsing type tools I have mentioned, it does not matter. They are different tools for the same task.
If you still seem surprised by your friend's device, it's probably because you do not comprehend how the phenomena manifests yet. If you did, you would know how trivial the anomaly around buried or sunken metals behaves in terms of magnetics and how people as Dell know about it for years as he told above.

Also as some posts above suggests, your initial post might not be that, but it hints and smells comercial.
Is this guy selling his machine or not?

Regards.

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How can you tell the sex of a cockroach?

When you step on a cockroach,if the guts that come out are white,then its a male,if yellow or orange,its a female.

billinstuart

Oct 17, 2004
stuart..the treasure coast..well, used to be
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur with a WOT!
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
VERY interesting thread.

As a contractor, I've been using dowsing wires for decades to find buried power/water lines. Dowsed up an antique railroad track in Savannah by mistake once. Technique was shown to me by an old electrician.

OP
OP
signumops

signumops

Feb 28, 2007
U.S.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hung:

"Thatā€™s right, you canā€™t buy this thing, and you canā€™t rent it. You have to hire Cal or Bill to run the service for you."

You must know how to build one of these trivial little detectors. How is it done ? I'm sure there are many here who would really appreciate knowing the simple truth. By the way, how much did you actually pay for that RT Examiner?

Sincerely

hung

Jul 16, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
signumops said:
Hung:

"Thatā€™s right, you canā€™t buy this thing, and you canā€™t rent it. You have to hire Cal or Bill to run the service for you."

You must know how to build one of these trivial little detectors. How is it done ? I'm sure there are many here who would really appreciate knowing the simple truth. By the way, how much did you actually pay for that RT Examiner?

Sincerely

Ah, ok... I see now. It's a services promotion...Fair from a capitalist perspective.

Paying for this or that particular little box to use it or enhance the present technology or for somebody's services is really not that important as long as you suceed, right?
Good luck.

mad4wrecks

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2004
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, DetectorPro Headhunter, Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Terry, thanks for posting this information. Very interesting indeed. Please keep us appraised of any further testing of this device. Wonder how it would do at Sandy Point? :dontknow: Tom

capt dom

Nov 9, 2006
Jupiter, Florida USA
Talking about testing Johnson Detectors....

I have one that detects certain non- ferrus objects of great value.
Is configured as a probing device. It doesn't work quite as well at long
distances as the Johnson Haynie type. Because of its shape and telescoping
nature - it does work quite well in tight spots.

It doesn't have any batteries but relies on on electro-magnetic pulsing from
a humanoid source - working on a similar premise, as dowsing and other divining
type rods that rely upon human metaphysical input. An adequate cardio-vascular system is
a must.

It shares a similar name as the subject of this posting and stands straight up
when it is working - at its best - normally in the vicinity of a provocative good looking -
scantily clad younger woman or women.

Its too is called a "Johnson" in some circles, although many give theirs a
unique and more personable name suited to their particular application of its use.

Mine continues to work faithfully even today! :hello2:
I would post a photo or two of it but it would probably be either bleeped or cut.

There is also a gay version out there with another even more similar name: :laughing7:
Its called the " Johnson / Highney " Detector, but if you are ever around anyone using
it be sure not to bend over... :laughing9:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions