Tidal Walls

E

elle

Did anyone watch "The Underwater Universe" last night on the History Channel?

It was well done and I found it fascinating how the eruption off Santorini (the submerged city) was
forty times more potent than the explosion of Hiroshima.

The next topic that this program covered made me go back to my Oceanography notes I've kept from college.
The documentary discussed the Old Sow Whirlpool in Eastport, Maine, with its tidal activity giving rise to riptides,
upwellings, and eddies. It got me thinking about the tidal actions over the centuries of different waters holding
shipwrecks, areas of the ocean with extreme tidal differences, and how wrecks are subject to desinigration from
the pull of gravity.
Although the configuration of the shore and ocean floor sets up the tidal range, I believe no artifacts in the ocean
can escape the harm of the water's movement.

So, where am I going with all this? No where, I just wanted to make everyone excercise their brains today!

I did start thinking, though, about walls put into place around an untouched wreck to preserve it, in its entirety,
and thus stopping the energy of the water in affecting the excavation process.
We all know of the most famous cofferdam used in the La Salle Project?
I find this structure to be a brilliant idea in the field of marine archaeology!
Imagine being able to conduct your studying and preservation in a dry environment and being able to visualize
the components of the sunken ship.
Of course, this is not cheap to build. In my opinion, though, this was a very ingenious way to conduct an
archaeological survey of the site.

Any comments?

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
the bay of fundy is a prime ship wreck area * its wicked tidal drop and rise is crazy -- leave you on the bottom with no water under ya opps

Reefdrifter

Jan 4, 2008
Punta Gorda, Florida
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark
Awesome show!!! It was on from 12:00 Am to 2:00 Am. I could only watch the first hour....couldn't keep my eyes open. I hope it is on again and I will see the rest.......Hey!!! What are you doing up so late?

Mich. Wolverine

Dec 12, 2008
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266
Do you have a website for the La Salle project? How deep of water could you put a cofferdam in before the water pressure would be to much for it to hold?
Thank's for any info.

Wolverine.

OP
OP
E

elle

Wolverine...sorry about the delay in answering your request.

The following article will give you an idea about the cofferdam used in marine archaeology.
I find it extremely interesting and hope to use a concept like this, one day, to preserve and study archaeological
remains.

http://www.liquidtravel.org/archaeology-of-the-la-salle-shipwreck-project.html

9CAQEAH1ZCARVSA2UCALZA5ESCAQI2DC2CA.jpg

Mich. Wolverine

Dec 12, 2008
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266
Thank's Elle For the link it was very interesting. No need to say sorry, people are busy. :thumbsup: Good luck in your endeavors. I was thinking that it was the supposed Griffon site and couldn't figure out how they built a cofferdam in that amount of time, but I love any info on early exploration of America. Thank's a lot!!
Talk to ya later.
Wolverine.

cuzcosquirrel

Aug 20, 2008
Tidal action is interesting. I have seen a returning tide throw up all sorts of stuff on a beach. Items were exposed through sand loss, pushed into a bay mouth, and then the water exiting back out the bay mouth would move them and throw them up on the beach.

OldSowBreath

Mar 18, 2009
"Old Sow Whirlpool" Hmmm... They're going to get a strongly worded letter!

I believe it was my alma mater that was instrumental in the cofferdam.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread