Bahamian Nationals

Indiana_Jonz

Jun 10, 2004
Fl.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been working with a Bahamian National for a few years negotiating with him to sites in which he found many years ago while fishing. I in good faith gave him money and perks to keep myself in good graces but have just recently found out that he has made a deal with another individual to salvage his sites. Yes permits have been arranged for those wondering. Needless to say this leaves a bad taste in my mouth and was wondering if anyone else had been "TAKEN" by a Bahamian?

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Indiana:

I've been 'taken' by Bahamians and nationals from other companies. One, of many, lessons I learned was to have the parties sign a mutual Covenant Not To Compete. The consideration for the deal is you funding the venture (or providing some other service, etc.) The Covenant must be reasonable; restrictive to a particular area and for a designated (relatively short) period of time.
Best to have a 'local' attorney draft (and enforce) the document. At least the Covenant will give the other party something to think about (the consequences) should he choose to violate the Covenant.
Don.....

OP
OP
Indiana_Jonz

Indiana_Jonz

Jun 10, 2004
Fl.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don
Thank you sir. I visited the RV Explorer years ago with Lou who I met onboard along with Dave Horner. How they making out in Ecuador?

BIKERLAWYER
At this time they are issuing permits to those that have thier organization and finances in order..e.g. Approved Archeologist, working capital etc. AND..... the cash to line the pockets of the head honchos. Nothing has changed since the original moritorium some 10 years ago accept it's always who you know and you know the rest of the saying.

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Indiana:
I spoke today with a common friend of Lou, Dave and myself. He had just seen them both within the last month. I asked about their activities in Ecuador and my concern that Ecuador signed the UNESCO agreement. The reply I received was: "Where there's a will, there's a way." I chose not to take the conversation further in that direction.
Don.....

wreckdiver1715

Bronze Member
May 20, 2004
Satellite Beach
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have had nothing but outstanding experiences with the locals during my two recent trips to the Bahamas in the last five months. I will be heading back in the islands again this coming February to continue where I left off with my research in November. I love the Islands of the Bahamas, and the people of the Bahamas I am proud to call my friends and neighbors.

Salvage Permits in the Bahamas are issued by The Honerable Glenys Hanna-Martin, Minister of Transport and Aviation.

[email protected]

Ministry of Transport and Aviation
P.O. Box N-10114
Nassau, Bahamas

Good luck and Happy Hunting

capt dom

Nov 9, 2006
Jupiter, Florida USA
Anybody who wishes to to business in the Bahamas should get a
copy of "Wind from the Carolinas" by Robert Wilder. :read2: And, read it :icon_sunny:

The Bahamas were basically settled by folks that were run out of the U.S.
after being on the wrong side of a dispuit >:( >:( :o

They have no love for those on the main land and delight in the occasional
opportunity to stick it to them.

The government - :hello2: figuring out that .80 cents of every dollar the average
Bahamian makes - :'( - gets spent in the U.S. :icon_scratch: just looks the
other way - thinking the thieves are just being robbed by the local good old boy
pirates :wav:

Actually Bahamian political types are a lot easier to work with than the petty
thieves and criminals that are running our country! :laughing9:
You know, the ones that buy congress ???

OP
OP
Indiana_Jonz

Indiana_Jonz

Jun 10, 2004
Fl.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TREASUREINVESTOR2
"THEY" are the Bahamian Govt.
Wreckdiver1715 has has good experiences in the islands, which I'm sure he has. But...I can relate ONLY to my experiences and the corruption that I have witnessed first hand. It is really a sad thing as there are untold riches there to be had but as I said before..it's not who you know but.........

wreckdiver1715

Bronze Member
May 20, 2004
Satellite Beach
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
capt dom said:
They have no love for those on the main land and delight in the occasional
opportunity to stick it to them.

You may have a point! Just about every car has an Obama for President bumper sticker.

OP
OP
Indiana_Jonz

Indiana_Jonz

Jun 10, 2004
Fl.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And they really did a good job of "sticking it" to me. I pulled some 401 k money and college funds out to do this job and it has severely retarded my abilities to recoup this money. The lesson learned in all this is that when it comes to "treasure".....You need only look to what you have at home in the way of your beautiful children and adoring wife..MY TREASURE indeed!!!

wreckdiver1715

Bronze Member
May 20, 2004
Satellite Beach
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Indiana_Jonz, I'm sorry to hear of your troubles in the Bahamas. I'm fortunate that I have been able to avoid that situation thus far. However, I was taken by a business partner, designing and manufacturing the Capella kit planes in Austin Texas many years ago, and have learned to be very Leary of others when it comes to doing business.
In the treasure hunting world I have heard many horror stories of good honest people being taken by unscrupulous types that fancy themselves modern day pirates. It is unfortunate that these types are still able to crawl out from under the rocks.
Lets just hope that others are able to learn from your experience and are able to avoid a similar situation.
I wish you much better luck in any of your future endeavors.

Tom

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
When I worked there, I found it especially helpful to work with a local lawyer who was 'connected' and had previous experience with the system. As is sometimes the case, once the 'goodies' were available for distribution, I had more problems with one or more partners than I did with the authorities.
Don....

captbonnie

Jan 22, 2007
Vero Beach FL
Detector(s) used
AQ1B
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
people are people - trust in your vessel

I grew up in the Bahamas - am on Eleuthera right now - American citizen but this is "home" -

have known several Bahamians that have very low opinion of the integrity of some American treasure hunters I am sure we all know of - I won't mention who

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions