Ancient City Found On Caribbean Sea Floor...

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
odd that its not front pages news everywhere

mariner

Apr 4, 2005
Jeff,

I think this is the site that Paulina Zelitzki, the Russian/Canadian underwater explorer found several years ago. It lies in between Cuba and the Yucatan peninsula. She then worked with Sylvia Earle, of National Geographic, and they set off to film the site. I thought that they were thwarted at the time by the arrival of one of the hurricanes, but presumably they went back. Some pictures of the sunken city, presumably Mayan, were posted on the Internet at the time, but I don't know if they were still there.

She found it while trying out her deep sea cameras while working on a contract she had with the Government of Cuba to locate shipwrecks off Cuba. Around the same time she found what is probably the wreck of a Cortes ship that sank after running aground on the western tip of Cuba in 1526. The ship ended up on the ocean bed some 1800 foot deep, but less than a quarter mile from the shore. Paulina photographed a pile of gems, mostly emeralds, that were lying on the sea bed, and had presumably originally been been in a wooden chest that came off the ship as it sunk. The chest must have rotted over the years, leaving its contents on the ocean bed. The wreck is described in one of Cortes' five letters to Emperor Charles V. Cortes describes some of the lost cargo in detail, but forgets to mention the gems. ::) I have some stills from Paulina's video showing the gems that she sent me at the time. As the sole agent of the current heir to Cortes, I had offered to act as intermediary to have the historically important artifacts from the wreck returned to Mexico, but nothing came of the discussions because, as I understand it, her contract became null and void when Cuba signed an agreement with China, giving them exclusive rights to explore the ocean bed west of the island, in search of oil or gas deposits.

I posted something on TNet about these finds a couple of years ago.

Mariner

mad4wrecks

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2004
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, DetectorPro Headhunter, Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Mariner, fascinating story! Where can I read more or see some of the photographs you described?

Tom

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its not the site that the russian/canadian explorer found several years ago.

"The team hopes to conduct a massive mapping and research expedition, to learn as much as possible about who these people were, before turning the site over to the Caribbean island’s home government. “Whatever we’ve found does not belong to us,” the project’s leader said, “It belongs to the people of this island, and to the world at-large. If any pieces are brought to the surface, they belong in the hands of a museum.”

So its near a island that has a government and is in shallow water.

What island is it?

Cuba
The DR
Jamaica
PR
Cayman
Bahamas
Turks
Grenada
Virgin islands and the many other islands in that area

allen_idaho

Dec 4, 2007
Culdesac, Idaho
It is an interesting article. To be honest, all I see are several images taken from Google Earth and a series of lines and squares which are too perfect to be a massive underwater city several thousand years old. Most likely, this is just a series of compression artifacts.

It would be cool if they actually found something. But I doubt it.

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
" If any pieces are brought to the surface, they belong in the hands of a museum.”
"....or to find out how to help fund their research, please contact....."

This says it all. Nothing can be kept but it you wish to spend your money anyway, give them a call.

mariner

Apr 4, 2005
Fisheye,

You are right. It isn't the Zelitzky site. I did not read the article properly.

Interesting. Might be a similar case. I think what happens is that a large chunk of land, at the end of one of the islands breaks off and just slides into the ocean.

Tom, If you google "Paulina Zelitzki" (or it might be Zelitski) you might find the old pic. I think her company's name/initials were ADC.

Mariner

itmaiden

Sep 28, 2005
The lines look too perfect and the overall city looks too contemporary. I would like to know the original source of this image.

When using satellite images I have often had "bleed throughs" from other image files. Sometimes it has been beneficial, other times a pain in the rear, as sometimes the images that bleed in take me "off course" of my search area...which when one has spent several hours scouring every square inch of something or has just located something good, is absolutely frustrating.

itmaiden

Jeff K said:

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Urban Architecture From an Impossible Time

A typical example of the archeological ruins described above was found in waters 120 feet deep in the Gulf of Cabay, located off the western coast of India. It is estimated that the vast city, discovered by chance during an investigation on pollution, could date back some 9,000 years.

Using a sonar tracker, investigators managed to identify defined geometric structures at a depth of about 120 feet. From the site, they recovered construction material, pottery, sections of walls, basins, sculptures, bones, and human teeth. The carbon tests indicate that these pieces were 9,500 years old.

Before this finding, anthropologists thought that the area had not seen civilization before 2,500 B.C. This ancient city, therefore, was even older than the Harappan civilization, once believed to be the oldest of the subcontinent.

Another surprising case came in 1967, when the Aluminaut—an exploration submarine capable of submerging deeper than any craft of its day—casually discovered a “road” off the coastal zone of Florida, Georgia, and South Carolina. Found at a depth of nearly 3,000 feet, this road traced a straight line for more than 15 miles.

Even more surprising, this road had been paved with sophisticated cement composed of aluminum, silicon, calcium, iron, and magnesium. Despite its age, the road was found to be free of debris due to an underwater current that kept it clear.

This forgotten road still proved a worthy thoroughfare as the special wheels of the Aluminaut allowed the sub to actually travel along the enigmatic highway. Later, scientists exploring the area found a series of monolithic constructions at one end of the road. What technology could construct a long paved road that would remain in good condition for 10,000 years?

A more recent discovery of this type took place in 2004, when the same tsunami that battered the coasts of Southeast Asia also moved tons of sand from the cost of Tamil Nadu, India. The storm cleared years of dust that led to the discovery of the mythical city of Mahabalipuram.

According to local legend, the city of Mahabalipuram suffered a great flood, submerging it in a single day 1,000 years ago, when the gods became jealous of its beauty. The local inhabitants recounted that six temples were covered by water, but that part of the seventh remained on the coast. The team of 25 divers from the Archaeological Survey of India explored the extensive area covered with man-made structures, ranging at depths of between 15 and 25 feet below the water.

The scale of the submerged ruins covered several square miles, at distances of up to a mile from the coast. Conservative estimates of the age of these constructions range from 1,500 to 1,200 years old, though some investigators say they originate from up to 6,000 years ago.

http://weburbanist.com/2007/09/12/underwater-urban-archeology-7-submerged-wonders-of-the-world/

HiRes photos of the city

http://www.heralddeparis.com/got-ruins-undersea-archaeologists-release-new-photos/66899

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've seen miles of sea floor images, believe in Atlantis, but have a hard time with these photos, for the above reasons.

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those sat photos dont look very advanced to me.IR,thermal at 1 meter would be advanced.Not what i see there with clouds and not very sharp.Those photos dont look like anything underwater.They look like farm land.I called the numberon the article and they never called back.

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bum Luck: you posted --> I---- believe in Atlantis, -
~~~~~~~~~

Ya better cottin pickin belive in atlantis. we here in TN found it. Even posted pictures of it's location, just about where it is supposed to be according to ancient documents.

I have posted this data in the Explorers Club Forum, waiting for comments by our top scientists that are members.

www.explorers.org

Don Jose de La Mancha

allen_idaho

Dec 4, 2007
Culdesac, Idaho
If you click on the original link and take a look at the fourth image, you will notice the cursor used in Google Earth. That is as "advanced" as they got in their search.

itmaiden

Sep 28, 2005
Look at this:

Hen and Chicken Shoals Reef area, in the Keys Florida:

http://wikimapia.org/#lat=24.9004312&lon=-80.647856&z=17&l=0&m=b

Note the rectangular structure in the center. If you scroll around there are some other interesting lines. There are also some photo overlays that are questionable.

Now a week or so ago I was searching Hen and Chicken Shoals in the Bahamas and had entered in the flight coordinates for Flight 19, a air training flight of 5 planes that disappeared a number of decades ago.

While there, I was scrolling around the area and saw structures in a number of places. Go north, northwest, go East...look around and you will find others.

itmaiden

rgecy

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2004
Beaufort, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Sea Hunter Mk II
itmaiden said:
Look at this:

Note the rectangular structure in the center. If you scroll around there are some other interesting lines. There are also some photo overlays that are questionable.

itmaden,

That location you posted is in the Florida Keys just off Upper Metacumbe. Still intersting, but so close to shore, could be dredge tailings or something similar.

What are the coordinates for Hen and Chickens?

Robert

Voldbjerg

Feb 9, 2006
RGecy said:
itmaiden said:
Look at this:

itmaden,

That location you posted is in the Florida Keys just off Upper Metacumbe. Still intersting, but so close to shore, could be dredge tailings or something similar.

What are the coordinates for Hen and Chickens?

Robert

I rember seeing similar pictures. They where salt pits or places were salt is extracted.

/V

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread