Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
If you are the gubmint you can do anything. In 2003 the Florida Dept. of Environmental Protection issued a permit to dump over 1 billion gallons of acidic water from the closed Piney Point phosphate plant out in the Gulf of Mexico. They dumped the acid water 100 miles offshore. Winds blew the water back east and it killed every living thing from Tarpon Springs to Naples. The state got away with it.

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
ivan salis said:
once run thru a dredges impellers you bet its dead -- just like anything else would be -- but seriously if they are killing live coral their in a world of hurt . -- any treasure hunter caught damaging coral in any way would be hung out to dry

Ivan, you would know if it is live rock or dead regardless of running through the impellers. It is quite different. Regardless, I'm sure part of the process of winning the contract is to hold an incidental take permit. So long as efforts are taken to minimize the damage that is all that is required.

OP
OP
M

mad4wrecks

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2004
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, DetectorPro Headhunter, Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Thanks John for the info.

The Juno Beach govt. website states they are dredging from a borrow pit 4 miles south (of where?).

Does anyone know how that works? Are they dredging up sand onto the ship at the borrow pit site, moving to a staging area and then pumping the sand onto the beach, or are they dredging it up where the ship is anchored? Dom?

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
as a former crew member on these types of dredges ---I can say they dig the fill matter elsewhere ( 4 mile south is the barrowing pit area where the filler matter is coming from) then bring the stuff the dredge up to the pump off station spot where they -- hook the pipes up and then pump it to shore.

billinstuart

Oct 17, 2004
stuart..the treasure coast..well, used to be
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur with a WOT!
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
This is wrong on so many levels. They aren't pumping "sand"..that's a misnomer. They're pumping debris from the ocean floor. Great Lakes Dredging and their "coastal engineer" toadies are ruining our beaches.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
billinstuart ---you are right years ago I was a crew member on some of these very vessels -- it was a job and i had to feed my family and as a lowly b book member in my union , beggers could could not be choosers -- I did not like job much ---- they run 24 fours a day are very noisy and smelly to live on -- the vessel is only quiet about 1 day a week when they fuel down for about 12 hours ---my job was the messman / later on I was moved up to cook -- two weeks on 24 /7 and two weeks off rotation --- year around

these beast tear up a lot of stuff in their work

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tom,

Follow the hoses comming from the dredge ship,if they end up somewhere 4 miles away then thats their borrow pit.If not,they are sucking from the bottom where the ship is anchored.The large hoses will have a bouy attached every 50 to 100 feet.

When they did the new smyrna beach renurishment in jan/2006 they dredged from the west side of the ICW.The ran the hoses across the ICW thru the neighborhood and to a relay pump station then down to the beach.

Attachments

• 100_1989.JPG
    100_1989.JPG
    348 KB · Views: 527
  • 100_2003.JPG
    100_2003.JPG
    255.5 KB · Views: 494
  • 100_2002.JPG
    100_2002.JPG
    462.2 KB · Views: 509
  • 100_2000.JPG
    100_2000.JPG
    256.9 KB · Views: 506
  • 100_1999.JPG
    100_1999.JPG
    320.1 KB · Views: 503

billinstuart

Oct 17, 2004
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Martin county is planning on renourishing Bathtub Beach, and will be using material from inside the inlet. An excellent source of beach material. It will also be totally devoid of anything of interest, as it was deposited by water movement carrying the sand into the inlet.

itmaiden

Sep 28, 2005
Explains the sick dolphins.

itmaiden

Salvor6 said:
If you are the gubmint you can do anything. In 2003 the Florida Dept. of Environmental Protection issued a permit to dump over 1 billion gallons of acidic water from the closed Piney Point phosphate plant out in the Gulf of Mexico. They dumped the acid water 100 miles offshore. Winds blew the water back east and it killed every living thing from Tarpon Springs to Naples. The state got away with it.

bucketofguts

Jul 2, 2007
N.C.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT and Garrett Seahunter mark 2. Treasure Mate pinpointerer
oh great karma teach important lesson to stupid people who try to fuc# with mother nature :nono:

SFLOcenEng

Apr 19, 2008
Rio Seco
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
billinstuart said:
Martin county is planning on renourishing Bathtub Beach, and will be using material from inside the inlet. An excellent source of beach material. It will also be totally devoid of anything of interest, as it was deposited by water movement carrying the sand into the inlet.

An excellent source of beach material? How do you figure. I'm biased and totally against the renourishment programs in general but I don't understand how that could be a good place to get the sand from. For a number of reasons!

SFLOcenEng

Apr 19, 2008
Rio Seco
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
billinstuart said:
This is wrong on so many levels. They aren't pumping "sand"..that's a misnomer. They're pumping debris from the ocean floor. Great Lakes Dredging and their "coastal engineer" toadies are ruining our beaches.

I know a number of Coastal Engineers and Ocean Engineers and they are not the bad guys. The bad guy is the ocean front community who lobbies for this type of program. With the exception of the company owners 9/10 of the employees don't have and knowledge or don't care if it's bad or good it's a paycheck. The other 1/10 probably know it's not a great solution but again it's a paycheck. The real problem is man have built on the dune line in a dynamic zone the expands and shrinks in some periodic fashion. Something must be done and I doubt they are going to let the building fall but we should stop building in that dynamic zone. In reality it's a very complex problem with no straight forward solution. My 2 cents.

billinstuart

Oct 17, 2004
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
SF:

St. Lucie Inlet doesn't have an impound basin to catch southward migrating sand, so the inlet becomes the repository. Was just there yesterday. The sand is hard, smooth, consistent..just like real beach should be.

If the deposits weren't from the beach originally, I'd agree with you. Of course it won't stay in place..there's another layer of beach mechanics that's affecting that stretch of beach.

Bill

capt dom

Nov 9, 2006
Jupiter, Florida USA
Sounds like somebody knows what he is talking about... Bill

Most people have no clue about "natures" engine along the on shore
trough that actually manufactures "beach Sand"... by using periodic
uncovering of coastal hard bottoms - then how wave and littoral current actions
grind up shell and other skeletal matter {dead baby sea turtles, arh, and the like )
mixing it with sediments so as to provide the white or lighter hue of natural
beach sand.

I'm still sitting here in Jupiter - waiting for the life guard tower and toilets to wash into
the sea once more - before I attempt to make my case for using the
large quantity of beach sand sitting in our solution holes along the Jupiter
Shipwreck scatter pattern to bolter the dunes and down stream beaches.

Problem is.... Its just too good of an idea....
and, I don't have a war chest or desire
to pay off the right lobbiest!

itmaiden

Sep 28, 2005
Govt' bureaucrats don't appreciate "common sense". If there is a harder, more difficult, and less successful way to "try" and reach some goal, that seems to be the approach they take.
It never seems to be about logic, intelligence, or what would be "right".

What you have in gov't is widespread Attention Deficit Disorder. They can't and won't pay attention because their minds are too busy trying to negotiate their way through their tangled webs of deceit, bribes, favors and fears in order to get their share of some "honeypot", or keep their jobs.

I've had to deal with those people on other issues in years past, and it is like dealing with "Sybil" the fictional woman with 13 different personalities !

It is absolutely maddening. Possibly the only way you can get an "in" is to find someone closely related and respected by those whose attention you seek and get "that person(s)" to make it happen.
They might not even be a gov't employee.

I would do some PR if I were you. I would actually maybe take some key people out on your boat for a diving day. If they don't dive, then take them out to the shallows with sifters and let them find and keep a few trinkets. They will enjoy the relaxation and fun, get to know you a little better, and maybe see first hand the benefits. It won't cost you anything but some snacks and drinks and quality time. (oh and when they want to keep their finds, be sure they have to turn them into the state archies first, and then "maybe" they will get them back).

itmaiden

capt dom said:
Sounds like somebody knows what he is talking about... Bill

Most people have no clue about "natures" engine along the on shore
trough that actually manufactures "beach Sand"... by using periodic
uncovering of coastal hard bottoms - then how wave and littoral current actions
grind up shell and other skeletal matter {dead baby sea turtles, arh, and the like )
mixing it with sediments so as to provide the white or lighter hue of natural
beach sand.

I'm still sitting here in Jupiter - waiting for the life guard tower and toilets to wash into
the sea once more - before I attempt to make my case for using the
large quantity of beach sand sitting in our solution holes along the Jupiter
Shipwreck scatter pattern to bolter the dunes and down stream beaches.

Problem is.... Its just too good of an idea....
and, I don't have a war chest or desire
to pay off the right lobbiest!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread