Juno Beach beach nourishment

mad4wrecks

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2004
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, DetectorPro Headhunter, Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
They are dredging sand from offshore and pumping in onto the beach, just south of the Juno Beach pier. :'(

This is a prime hunting area and I recovered some modern day jewelry and a very old coin in this area back in October. :headbang:

We were just getting some decent erosion and the beach was almost down to "goodie" level, but nowhere near where there was a need to beef up the beach with tons of new sand. :icon_scratch:

Anyway, the possible bright side to this is that the dredge is anchored over an area where a very old shipwreck is reputed to have broken up. Who knows what that dredge is spitting up onto the beach! :icon_sunny:

Attachments

• JB dredge3.jpg
    JB dredge3.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 1,346
  • JB dredge4.jpg
    JB dredge4.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 1,366
  • JB dredge 1.jpg
    JB dredge 1.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 1,330
  • JB dredge2.jpg
    JB dredge2.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 1,324

itmaiden

Sep 28, 2005
hmm bummer big time, yet like you maybe we can be hopeful that they will dump some treasure on the beach. At least they are using sand from the sea this time instead of that other filthy mess they dumped farther up the line.
Thing is they don't even blend it naturally as far as the slope that was there before. They make it so hard to walk on.

Wonder if you could manipulate the use of those dredges for some private exploration ? Maybe if you say "pretty please with sugar on top" ?

You could borrow one of those pipes or two to make your own "propwash" from the shore.

So if they are doing Juno, they are probably going all the way down the coast...
At least they are doing it in winter, so the murky water will be clear by "season".

itmaiden

mad4wrecks said:
They are dredging sand from offshore and pumping in onto the beach, just south of the Juno Beach pier. :'(

Anyway, the possible bright side to this is that the dredge is anchored over an area where a very old shipwreck is reputed to have broken up. Who knows what that dredge is spitting up onto the beach! :icon_sunny:

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
So they don't have to do an archaeological survey before dredging like Texas requires?

OP
OP
M

mad4wrecks

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2004
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Apparently not Pete!

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Lets see; the State destroys our Underwater Cultural Heritage and spits it out on the beach but they will not issue any new treasure recovery leases to the treasure hunters. Go figure! >:(

PhipsFolly

Sep 30, 2005
Treasure Coast, Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign Elite & Sovereign XS, Minelab Equinox 800 and Aquapulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its always worth a try but don't get you're hopes up guys... from what I understand, the dredge boats are situated inshore but the actual area where the sand is being dredged from is 3 or more miles offshore.

And I also heard that they are prepping to "renourish" the beaches in Brevard and Indian River Counties again as well...
No need for it, but I guess "they" have to justify their jobs and the usage of the tax dollars we give them somehow. And as for the water visibility clearing up by the time "season" comes around... forget it... it will take years to "normalize" after the crap they put on our beaches gets through washing out, as we have see from the last 3 years of poor dive conditions. >:( :help:

billinstuart

Oct 17, 2004
stuart..the treasure coast..well, used to be
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur with a WOT!
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Beach sand is fairly consistent in size, and contains none of the organic fines found both offshore and inland. These fines cause the cloudiness of the water, as they stay in suspension forever.

Our coastal engineer in Martin County has retired (HOOOORRAY!!!) It's time to quit subsidizing Great Lakes dredging and others who are destroying our beaches.

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tom,

Get me the name of the dredge company thats doing the work.Post it here.I want to find out what kind of equipment they are useing.

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Ya! You need that dredging gear on your boat! :laughing9:

OP
OP
M

mad4wrecks

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2004
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Fisheye:

I didn't get the name of the company, but here is their ship, dredging about 1/2 mile offshore.

Attachments

• JB dredge5.jpg
    JB dredge5.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 1,378
C

Cappy Z.

Two questions. Is the sand dumped onto the vessel then later piped onto the shore? And I recently read where early ships ALL would get stuck in 20 feet of water or less. Is this true?

Thank you,

Cap Z.

itmaiden

Sep 28, 2005
I am sure the sand would pass through some type of screen/sifter first to remove larger debris.
Ask them if you can help haul the sorted debris to a dump site somewhere :wink:

itmaiden

mad4wrecks said:
Apparently not Pete!

I seem to recall someone showing me a mag chart with quite a few unexplored anomalies in the area where that dredge is currently anchored. The sand here is extremely deep, thus the reason the dredging "pit" is so close to shore.

OP
OP
M

mad4wrecks

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2004
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
You are correct ITmaiden, it appears the larger material is sifted out. However, I did have a chance to examine the "outfall" last night :wink: and there are some fairly large sized shells and shell fragments that would indicate that coins, pottery shards, porcelain shards, musketballs etc.. would pass through the dredge and onto the beach.

Like I said, the dredge is sitting in a prime area so the beach might be worth detecting once they are finished smoothing out all that sand.

itmaiden

Sep 28, 2005
hmm, need to get down there, but that area is not on my schedule in the next 2-3 months.
Nothing like a tease for a TH.

Wish you much luck !

itmaiden

mad4wrecks said:
You are correct ITmaiden, it appears the larger material is sifted out. However, I did have a chance to examine the "outfall" last night :wink: and there are some fairly large sized shells and shell fragments that would indicate that coins, pottery shards, porcelain shards, musketballs etc.. would pass through the dredge and onto the beach.

Like I said, the dredge is sitting in a prime area so the beach might be worth detecting once they are finished smoothing out all that sand.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
I know those ships very very well -- their the "island type" -- hopper dredges --dodge island , padre island, northerly island ( a smaller one)---- ( hell I should, since I used to be part of the crew ( messhand / cook) on two of em from 81 thru 84 ) their hopper dredges --ran by natco* -- a part of great lakes dredge and dock outfit -- out of oak brook ill, ask me anything --they got long arms that drag on the botton sucking up anything down there --they run the stuff via pipes thru a huge impeller --and pump it on shore or they can fill their hopper hold and the go out and dump it by opening in two over a selected dump spot.

fairly large sized items can and do filter thru the "pumps"

itmaiden

Sep 28, 2005
So answer me this...Did the state send divers down first to make sure they were not disturbing anything important before the dredge was assigned to that area ?

itmaiden

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The state is supposed to hire divers and a archie to do a survey before they dredge.Also they are supposed to do mag and side scan surveys as well.And core samples and sub bottom profiling.Did they do the correct survey?Who knows.It should be public info posted on a website somewhere.A few years ago when i had my boat docked at finns marina a dive boat rented a slip there.One day i saw them loading up a bunch of tanks so i went to ask where they were diving.The capt said they were contracted by the state to dive from sebastian inlet to ft pierce inside the 3 mile limit to do a survey before they did offshore dredging to replenish the beaches.There was about 6 divers plus the capt.I asked if anyone of them was a archie and they said no.Then i asked what they do if they find artifacts or gold and silver.The capt said they had to gps it and not touch it.I then asked if they ever say anything and they said no.They were working thier way up from ft pierce for the survey.All i saw on the boat was dive equipment and goodie bags and 1 speargun.No electronics other than a GPS and chart plotter.The boat stayed at the slip for about a month.They left around 3am one night.Hmmm

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
ivan salis said:
I know those ships very very well -- their the "island type" -- hopper dredges --dodge island , padre island, northerly island ( a smaller one)---- ( hell I should, since I used to be part of the crew ( messhand / cook) on two of em from 81 thru 84 ) their hopper dredges --ran by natco* -- a part of great lakes dredge and dock outfit -- out of oak brook ill, ask me anything --they got long arms that drag on the botton sucking up anything down there --they run the stuff via pipes thru a huge impeller --and pump it on shore or they can fill their hopper hold and the go out and dump it by opening in two over a selected dump spot.

fairly large sized items can and do filter thru the "pumps"

Indeed, it happens. The last time St. Augustine underwent renourishment, the source of the dredge was from the inlet where many wrecks are located. There are rumors of a MD'er uncovering a silver bar in the spoils. They are supposed to renourish the beach again. I'll be setting my alarm for some night hunts.

Sorroque

Jan 5, 2007
Canaberal de Ayzm
Detector(s) used
GMHCX3
Remember the mine flailers of WW2? It was a Sherman Tank equipped with huge chains that rotated on a spindle. Theses chains would spin on the spindle and detonate mines.
Okay.
Do we really need these coral reefs along the shore? Does nature need these coral reefs along shore? Not allowed to dive on them. What are their purpose?
They lock in so much treasure. The coins, gold, and jewelry are forever concreted into these things.
Get a dredge ship, affix these flailers to them, pulverise the reefs into powder and use these dredging ships to pump the stuff onto the beach!
Jeez. You should read all the rules for going to the beach these days. The sign should read YOU CANNOT DO ANYTHING NOW GO HOME!
No open containers.
No pets.
No fires.
No Snorkeling.
No scuba Diving.
No glass.
No nudity.
And a whole lot of more NO'S! I cannot remember.
:icon_scratch:
Febuary 4th., modification. Has anyone found any goodies along the renourishment yet?

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
forgot to add no driving on the beach * as a kid we always drove on the beach to and from our spot where choose to use -- now gotta "park and pay" and then walk to where you plan to sit and picnic dragging all your stuff with you.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread