Can a Minelab get knocked out by a Garret

OldGold74

Jul 12, 2008
Detector(s) used
Minelab/Fisher/Aquapulse
Sounds weird, my excal howled like a dying cat as my friend swam by with an infinium on, im used to interference but never this, so ive check all the obvious battery, battery from another excal my battery works on another excal and when I turn it on it humms whines like the cat and shuts down. Anyway I believe that the Infinium may have buggered the workings on the excal, I called Minelab they were good, said it was possible .... my question here and not on the detector forum is because its diving related and if I have to sss..t myself anytime someone swims near me with a garret I need to think about it. Ideas , opinions?

OP
OP
O

OldGold74

Jul 12, 2008
Detector(s) used
Minelab/Fisher/Aquapulse
forgot to mention it doesnt work for more than a second since, each time I start it, it humms for a second howls and shuts down...

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have had interference before but it cleared up after the other person with the md got further away.I dont own a minelab and i never will due to all the problems i have heard they have.Sounds like its broke.Send it back.Or check the connections to the coil or the box,look for cracked cables.Water and powered up electronics dont mix.

OP
OP
O

OldGold74

Jul 12, 2008
Detector(s) used
Minelab/Fisher/Aquapulse
Thanks I checked the powerpack I used another Excal pack and it did the same and I tested my one on their Excal and it worked...so its in the unit, when I use a Garret and Fisher swims by I get intereference and so on, not new to this, but this is unique and it happened as soon as the Garret came by and it was and started as "interference" then it died there and then only to be a sick cat and shut down after each time I start it. :-\ :-\ :help:

Parkerized

Oct 11, 2006
Coastal North Cackylacki
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000/ Nautilus DMC IIB/CZ-6a/ Tejon
You may want to check the pins on your battery plug(ikelite fitting) . Make sure they haven't been pressed together, i.e. there is a gap in the middle of each pole.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have used my Excals around garretts and other detectors and other then the normal interference, never had a problem with it. Been next to hunter on the west coast who was using Infinium with it too.....

Fisheye, I am not sure what problems your referring to. I have owned 3 Excals, still own 2, and I currently have 2 Sovereign GTs, of the 5 only one has been to the repair shop, it was there twice, once for a loose wire in the headphones (over 5 years old then) and once for a cracked coil. Personally there is nothing else I would use on the beaches here...

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi: the interferrence would only occur while within the energy field of the Garrett. It normally cannot be permanet. You must have a bad circuit or component in your detector which may have been triggered by an overload ???

Curious , keep us up to date in this problem.

Don Jose de La Mancha

OP
OP
O

OldGold74

Jul 12, 2008
Detector(s) used
Minelab/Fisher/Aquapulse
Hands down one of if not the best I have is the Excal, Im going with Don Jose on this Im pretty good with the toys and suffered interference many times, this is a first thanks and I will keep all posted, it could be sad coincidence...

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OldGold1974 said:
Hands down one of if not the best I have is the Excal, Im going with Don Jose on this Im pretty good with the toys and suffered interference many times, this is a first thanks and I will keep all posted, it could be sad coincidence...

Sounds like what Don Jose said, I bet an overload caused a capacitor or resistor to blow...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread