Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

Attachments

• Copy of DSCN2450.JPG
    Copy of DSCN2450.JPG
    28 KB · Views: 1,267

Cablava

May 24, 2005
The final makings "9-3-0" on the bottom of the cascable indicate the weight of the cannon is 9 hundredweight, 3 quarters and 0 pounds. Since a hundredweight equals 112 pounds and a quarterweight 28 pounds the total weight is 1092 pounds or about 496 kilograms.

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Eborac:

The hundredweight was part of a system of measures of weight that
was in commercial use throughout the British Empire from ancient times
(as legally defined in 1340 by King Edward III, the hundredweight was
equal to eight stones of 14 pounds each)--- into the 1970s.

The "P" probably stands for the name of the foundry; British, I presume.

Knowing the gunfounder's marks, if any, at the end of both trnuions, might also shed further light on ID-ing this piece of ordnance.
Don.........

OP
OP
eborac

eborac

Jan 15, 2005
North Queensland, Australia
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
hi again,
many thanks for your info. the cannon was found about 10 yrs ago by a local cray diver who does not want to reveal the location of the wreck. it has not received any treatment and is gradually breaking up.
there are no other discernible marks other than those in the earlier pics. is anyone able to tell the country of origin of this cannon ?
regards HH

Attachments

• Copy of DSCN2452.JPG
    Copy of DSCN2452.JPG
    22.9 KB · Views: 1,094

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Eborac:
I'd guess (really, just a guess) that it's British. You might try these sources to confirm one way or another:

Brown R.R., 1989, Identifying 18th-century trunnion marks on British iron guns: a discussion.
Elvin J.G.D., nd, British Gunfounders 1650-1850.
Ffoulkes C.J., 1937, The Gun Founders of England.
Lavery B., 1987, The Arming and Fitting of English Ships of War 1600-1815.
Don......

wreckdiver1715

Bronze Member
May 20, 2004
Satellite Beach
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Get that cannon submerged in fresh water before it self destructs on you, then you will need to start the preservation.

Q

Cablava

May 24, 2005
This is a British Cannon with the proof mark more visable. Also British cannons had a broad arrow on them.

Attachments

• Cannon.jpg
    Cannon.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 2,429
OP
OP
eborac

eborac

Jan 15, 2005
North Queensland, Australia
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
thanks all for info & advise. I'd dearly love to preserve this cannon if only I were allowed to. It is located in a community where the preservation of artifacts does not appear to be considered a great priority. I was informed that some dinner plates were recovered also with the cannon but were viewed as old junk and later discarded. I am hoping to convince some of the people involved in the rcovery that any future finds be made available for preservation. regards HH

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Eborac (HH):

The crown and P go together to assure the purchaser that the gun had been proved (tested to a standard). You might get more information on this gun by contacting Nicholas Hall, Keeper of Artillery, Royal Armouries (UK) at:[email protected].
If you do, attach a pic of the gun--full length--besides a measuring index (a ruler will do).
All the best,
Don...

CaribbeanDiver

Oct 28, 2004
It is a crime to let that cannon degrade.

Soak it in Salt Away immediately. 1 gallon to a vat holding it and leave it there until you can get reverse electrolysis set up. You will have to change it about 2 weeks after it gets cloudy. Salt Away is available at West marine, or Boaters World. It is even possible that a couple years in SA will preserve it well enough to then rinse in fresh water, heat to dry, or use alcohol, then coat in Extend rust neutralizer.

shiprex

Greenie
Sep 9, 2004
This happens all too often, iron artifacts are salvaged and then thrown aside to be lost forever. That is one of the reasons salvage companies have such a hard time getting salvage permits. If you can't do the conservation, leave it where you found it! A good case in point, which we just discovered, was someone who took items from one of our sites and left them on the beach, now they are junk! read about it here http://subsearesearch.com/news.htm

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The cannon is obviously mounted and been outside for last ten years.

I think the electrolysis is moot at this point.

Cannon use to be a dime a dozen when I was a kid.

Unless they were bronze.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread