wwwtimmcp

Bronze Member
Sep 22, 2007
wakeman, ohio
Detector(s) used
J.W.FISHERS pulse 8x
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I think it is the top seal block for a very old bilge pump. inside the hole I see 2 grooves that probably held the seal. but that is just a guess.

OP
OP
firstbiggestmost

firstbiggestmost

Oct 29, 2009
Florida
Detector(s) used
Excall II, Tesoro Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wwwtimmcp said:
I think it is the top seal block for a very old bilge pump. inside the hole I see 2 grooves that probably held the seal. but that is just a guess.

Thats a good idea, I keep looking at this trying to picture it whole..... Its a nice mystery. Thanks for the new avenue to research.
HH.

OldGold74

Jul 12, 2008
Detector(s) used
Minelab/Fisher/Aquapulse
Looks like its from a British War Ship, the Broad Arrow is clear this is the mark stamped on it , looks
19th C vessel rigging, sure many could give the exact ID if I look back I am certain Ive seen some, nice find wreck close by......nice

sphillips

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2008
Western NC
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool artifact. Cant wait to read more opinions!

archeo

Jan 3, 2010
I would agree with the other post that it seems to be an English bilge pump piece by virtue of the Broad Arrow. 18th or 19th century.

fmerg

Nov 1, 2008
kingston ny
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
minelab quattro, explorer se pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
this looks like a pole socket Flush mount used on recreational boats some times use for the flag stanchion
or to put up a canape on some thing like a party barge

OP
OP
firstbiggestmost

firstbiggestmost

Oct 29, 2009
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got it figured out. I posted the details in the what is it section. Short answer: wooden pulley sheave with a brass coak Maybe 19th century.
Thanks for the replys and HH.

rgecy

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2004
Beaufort, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Sea Hunter Mk II
I think its a sheave for a pully. I have one almost exactly like it that I found with Darren a few years ago. Looks like the grove has just been eaten away by the worms.

OP
OP
firstbiggestmost

firstbiggestmost

Oct 29, 2009
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
RGecy said:
I think its a sheave for a pully. I have one almost exactly like it that I found with Darren a few years ago. Looks like the grove has just been eaten away by the worms.

Thanks for posting. Was yours also Royal Navy? Could you post a Picture?
HH

rgecy

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2004
Beaufort, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Sea Hunter Mk II
No, mine was not Royal Navy. These types of sheaves stayed pretty much the same even into the early 1900's.

ruso

Greenie
May 13, 2005
montevideo-Uruguay
Detector(s) used
Pulse X8 Fiher 1280 Garrett XL500
Hi there,
That is the inside wheel of a pulley, has stamped the Royal Navy broad arrow.
I`m going to look for the picture of the one I found on the HMS AGAMEMNON sunked in
1809. Is very similar but the number is 79.
Regards
Ruso

divermark

Nov 28, 2009
Island of Anglesey Wales UK
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
ruso said:
Hi there,
I`m going to look for the picture of the one I found on the HMS AGAMEMNON sunked in
Regards
Ruso

Exactly that, a Napoleonic pulley, Definately Royal Navy, the history channel had them on a special about HMS AGAMEMNON , they were exactly the same.

OP
OP
firstbiggestmost

firstbiggestmost

Oct 29, 2009
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ruso said:
Hi there,
Regards
Ruso
Thanks for posting. I wonder if the 79 refers to the year the pulley sheave was made? I would love to see a pic if you find it.
Im still researching what all the marks mean on My pulley. I read DR-94 and LM or WT and the Broad arrow. HH.

divermark

Nov 28, 2009
Island of Anglesey Wales UK
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
This is interesting:

The seriously decayed state of Block Mills, listed Grade I, in Portsmouth dockyard was horribly apparent when delegates to the Dockyard Historical Society's conference visited the site on 30 April.

Block Mills is the site of a world first: the first steam powered mass production factory for the hundreds of thousands of pulley blocks for ships' rigging and gun carriages needed by the army and navy by the beginning of the nineteenth century. Toward the end of the Napoleonic period 922 pulley blocks were required to equip a standard 74-gun ship; the 27 British ships of the line that confronted the combined French and Spanish fleet at the Battle of Trafalgar would have had about 25,000 blocks in their rigging. 100,000 blocks a year were needed. The Taylor family of Southampton had been one of the largest suppliers of craftsmen-made blocks over three generations, but could not keep up with demand. Marc Isambard Brunel (1769-1849) who had been Chief Engineer of the City of New York had considered how blocks might be manufactured in quantity by machines.

Having failed to persuade Taylors to mechanise, Brunel convinced Sir Samuel Bentham (1757-1831), Inspector General of Naval Works, who had himself studied the application of machinery to woodworking in a small shipyard at Redbridge in Southampton, to set up the navy's own manufactory at Portsmouth dockyard to which the steam engine and machinery from Southampton were transferred. Brunel's machinery called for superior workmanship, and in Henry Maudslay (1771-1831) he found the brilliant engineer to make his precision machine tools in metal to give accuracy and rigidity. One set of machines manufactured the shell of the block from solid pieces of elm; another produced the lignum vitae sheave or pulley wheel. The series of machines they developed performed a sequence of some twenty separate operations to ensure a steady flow of components from raw materials to standardised assembly – a system for mass production which ran well for over a hundred and fifty years.

The first steam engine in dockyards was introduced in 1799 by the first Inspector-General of Naval Works from 1795, Sir Samuel Bentham. It was used to pump water out of dry docks at Portsmouth dockyard – a momentous step – since until then every dockyard had relied on muscle power alone. Horses had been used to transport timber and stores, operate gins for dock pumping, and, from the 1770s, to provide power for certain processes in the roperies. But once steam engines were given rotary motion and could be harnessed to machine tools they became practical and economic propositions. A rectangular stone structure surmounted by a heavy timber frame inside the southern range of Block Mills marks the site of this early pumping machinery. Within the same range, a beam engine house with a horizontal iron frame supporting the beam trunnions also survives. It is probably the second steam engine for which Bentham commissioned Boulton and Watt to help with dock-pumping and to power the new machinery for the mass production of pulley blocks.

Today, pools of water stand in the main linking hall where parts of the overhead drive are still in situ. The enormous beams supporting the timber flooring of the north block has partly rotted away to a pile of wet shreds, and the precious Maudslay machines upstairs have had to be covered with polythene sheet to protect them from leaks in different areas of the roof. The drains are backing up, causing more damage, and the wall of the north wing is bowing out, perhaps because of the spreading of the Belfast roof trusses. On the top floor of the south wing are long standing wet patches, green with mould. It ought to be a matter of public shame that the building at the very top of English Heritage's Buildings at Risk list - at Extreme Risk - is publicly owned. We heard at the conference that there was a proposal for Block Mills to be taken into Guardianship some years ago - which failed because the government would not spend £15,000 bringing it into good repair. If that had happened Block Mills would at least have been kept weather-tight. We will be adding our voices to those pressing the Second Sea Lord to take urgent action on repairs, and also to open up proposals for its future to public debate

OP
OP
firstbiggestmost

firstbiggestmost

Oct 29, 2009
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
divermark thanks for the great info.

OP
OP
firstbiggestmost

firstbiggestmost

Oct 29, 2009
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"Exactly that, a Napoleonic pulley, Definately Royal Navy, the history channel had them on a special about HMS AGAMEMNON , they were exactly the same."

Does anyone know any possiable wrecks in the vero area of ships built from 1790-1800?
I origionally thought the pulley might be from the Breckonshire but she was built in 1884 and sank in 1894 so the dates dont match. I did find this picture that shows a sheave like mine printed in the Royal Navy seamanship manual from the 1790's
Mine is in the center right of the print.

http://www.hnsa.org/doc/steel/part5.htm

Thanks and HH.

armchairQB30

Jun 21, 2007
I was in Brevard County last week MDing on the beaches, we stopped in at the McLarty museum and that EXACT part is on display as a 1715 artifact. I looked at it on the display and thought OMG I have seen that on T-Net. It is there I promise.

OP
OP
firstbiggestmost

firstbiggestmost

Oct 29, 2009
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
armchairQB30 said:
I was in Brevard County last week MDing on the beaches, we stopped in at the McLarty museum and that EXACT part is on display as a 1715 artifact. I looked at it on the display and thought OMG I have seen that on T-Net. It is there I promise.

Thanks for the lead. I will definitely follow up on it and post what I find. HH.

armchairQB30

Jun 21, 2007
I am thinking the McLarty museum has a piece on display that is not a real 1715 piece? It might be from another shipwreck located close to the wreck in front of the museum? Maybe a 1790 wreck near the 1715 wreck?

This will be interesting to see pictures of both pieces.

The website for the McLarty museum does not show a closeup of the part that I had seen.

Go to the McLarty museum with your piece and take a pic of yours and theirs together and then post it.

Thanks.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread