Silver Member
Jan 4, 2007
George West, TX
Detector(s) used
SOV, EXCAL, CZ20, & more
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Warship Montezuma Boca chica beach

The wreck is located about 1/2 mile before the mouth of the Rio Grande. This shipped lies in the wet sand and can be seen at low tide. Sometimes you can see the ribs but most of the time you can only see a square block sticking out. This was a small ship about the size of a charter boat. It was actually beached not sunk. Nothing of value was aboard or if it was it was not aboard very long. Sand has covered it up over time, every few hurricanes a good part of the wreck is uncovered. As far as detecting goes, no it is not allowed on any wreck in the state of Texas over a certain age. Once in awhile the college gets a group of kids out for a camp and they dig around.

here is a pics and info

http://www.texasnavy.com/montezuma.htm

OP
OP
cobrasvo90

cobrasvo90

Feb 2, 2006
Rio Grande Valley (Pharr), TX
Detector(s) used
Fisher F4
Garrett pro-pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Thanks for the info and the link txkickgrl. The first line in red letters answered my question. So another question... the area cant be detected not even for modern coins?

txkickergirl

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2007
George West, TX
Detector(s) used
SOV, EXCAL, CZ20, & more
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I have detected the area for modern coins before, not around the boat but at the mouth of the river, found a lot of fishing hooks and weights and a few coins. Nothing old. Although the beach has some traffic for fisherman, its not a widely used beach and finds won't be as good as spi. The area has history, in fact a lot, however remember that the river has changed course and that is the key. What was once part of the US, where the history took place, is now on the mexico side, close to where you see the light house. That is the area of bagdad, with clarksville up the river. If you can get a hold of old maps, you will see how the river once ran. If you can follow the river up you will see the bend and that is where the town once laid, the part that still lays on US land belongs to the state, and they have the signs with the goose posted all over. Now if you can make friends with some of the people along HWY4 there and get permission to go on their land some of the little ranches there. You might find a bunch of good stuff.(just remember me...if you get permission) I have thought about going around knocking on doors there, but I don't speak spanish and I am afraid that they won't speak english.
Good luck!

OP
OP
cobrasvo90

cobrasvo90

Feb 2, 2006
Rio Grande Valley (Pharr), TX
Detector(s) used
Fisher F4
Garrett pro-pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Ha! I would convince someone either in English or Spanish!! Ive been trying to find old maps of the Rio Grande Valley as well. I would like to look for ghost town sites. Possible abandoned sites erased from view now, but visible in some old map. I have looked but i cant seem to find what im looking for. Im from the Edinburg area. Know of any net map sites or places for old maps of the RGV? ???

txkickergirl

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2007
George West, TX
Detector(s) used
SOV, EXCAL, CZ20, & more
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions