1618 Honduran Wreck Question...

PhipsFolly

Sep 30, 2005
Treasure Coast, Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign Elite & Sovereign XS, Minelab Equinox 800 and Aquapulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all... Can anyone provide me with a little background on the 1618 Honduran Wreck located in the Wabasso Beach area. I am curious as to whether this was a singular vessel travelling on its own or was it part of a fleet... and if so, how many ships were in this fleet? Also, was this the only vessel that sank or were there several documented wrecks from this fleet? And lastly, what types of Spanish coinage (mints/assayers) have come from this site in Wabasso? Your help would be appreciated... thanks.

Phips

GOHO

Apr 13, 2008
I read that another ship from the 1618 fleet wrecked within a league of the Almiranta which is the wreck we call Green Cabin.... This ship has not been found in modern times.

Most of the coins found on the Green Cabin look simular to Atocha coins but are in very bad shape. There are still 5 cannons and an anchor on the site and as of last season coins were still being found.

Here is a map of the Green Cabin, I started mapping the bottom in 3D on this site but still need to finish. I magged the site a couple years ago and i have many targets to still look at.

Hope this helps.....

Attachments

• GCB_basemap 09-Model.jpg
    GCB_basemap 09-Model.jpg
    141.4 KB · Views: 838
OP
OP
PhipsFolly

PhipsFolly

Sep 30, 2005
Treasure Coast, Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow Greg... thanks very much for that response. It looks like you have put a great deal of effort into the mapping... really excellent. I had heard that some Potosi coins (T) assayer had been recovered, but do you know if any Mexico mint coins have come from this wreck as well? Mike (Phips)

GOHO

Apr 13, 2008
I am not sure of the Assayer's on the coins.. the data base only tells me that its a coin some give denomination, give me sometime and i will give you a coin total...

GOHO

Apr 13, 2008
Check your email, i sent you all that has been found oh that site.....

itmaiden

Sep 28, 2005
There have been at least 3 wrecks located with 1600 coin dates, and that is what I am curious about, whether they may have been part of a related fleet. I am also searching for the origins of 3 possible shipwrecks that have not been located by salvors yet, but have yet to find any corresponding records that can give specifics. There were a number of ships and other fleets lost that have not been accounted for. I stumbled upon another lost fleet last night, and so will try and locate where they may be. The only info provided was the area of departure and the route they were heading. I had not seen the "year" of this disaster spoken of anywhere among salvors.

So there is more treasure out there. The one I am speaking of may possibly be in International waters.

itmaiden

PhipsFolly said:
Hi all... Can anyone provide me with a little background on the 1618 Honduran Wreck located in the Wabasso Beach area. I am curious as to whether this was a singular vessel travelling on its own or was it part of a fleet... and if so, how many ships were in this fleet? Also, was this the only vessel that sank or were there several documented wrecks from this fleet? And lastly, what types of Spanish coinage (mints/assayers) have come from this site in Wabasso? Your help would be appreciated... thanks.

Phips

signumops

Feb 28, 2007
U.S.
Detector(s) used
Garrett, Minelab, Aqua-Pulse
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There was a companion vessel by some accounts.

OP
OP
PhipsFolly

PhipsFolly

Sep 30, 2005
Treasure Coast, Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had heard that there were possibly 3 ships from the "1618 Honduran Fleet" that sank off our coast, but have not been able to find any record to substantiate that info. I did find out (thanks to GOHO) that there were Mexican minted coins on the Wabasso site... which is one of the things I was interested in knowing.

Thank you for your responses guys...

GOHO

Apr 13, 2008
Robert, I did not finish my survey on Green Cabin. I would like to survey out to 40' of water....

GOHO

Apr 13, 2008
After posting to this topic it inspired me to finish some post processing i had left on this site. I thought i would share this visual of the site in 3D. The first image is the 3D surface with artifacts overlaid. The second image is the surface overlaid with an aerial photo of the reefs. I removed all the artifacts so the reef detail is more visible. This surface was created from data i collected with my 997.

Attachments

• GCB_3D copy.jpg
    GCB_3D copy.jpg
    179.7 KB · Views: 660
  • GCB_basemap3D copy.jpg
    GCB_basemap3D copy.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 656

mad4wrecks

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2004
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, DetectorPro Headhunter, Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Can you put a red X on the map where Kane's diver found the astrolabe in 92? ;D

GOHO

Apr 13, 2008
Mad4wrecks, The Astrolab and cannons are shown here, hope this helps.

Attachments

• GCB_basemapASTROflat copy.jpg
    GCB_basemapASTROflat copy.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 631
  • GCB_basemapASTROLAB copy.jpg
    GCB_basemapASTROLAB copy.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 612

GOHO

Apr 13, 2008
Here is one more of the Astrolab and cannons.... I think the point of view is better in this one.

Attachments

• GCB_basemapASTROLAB.jpg
    GCB_basemapASTROLAB.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 597

GOHO

Apr 13, 2008
If anyone is interested i will sell the data set that created this map. The data set contains 550,000 depth points and includes an XYZ csv that has all spikes removed and also all the RAW files that have time, speed, heading.. etc... I am asking $100.00 for the whole set.

okiedowser

Dec 26, 2009
Mena,Ar
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GoHo Great job: To bad that don't work on dry Land, I got a Ship locate just offshore a few hundred yard's,Don't know what all the red tape would be to try to recover it. :icon_scratch:

Alexandre

Bronze Member
Oct 21, 2009
Lisbon
GOHO said:
If anyone is interested i will sell the data set that created this map. The data set contains 550,000 depth points and includes an XYZ csv that has all spikes removed and also all the RAW files that have time, speed, heading.. etc... I am asking $100.00 for the whole set.

And why don't you use it to go and recover more treasure from that area? You would certainly make more than 100K...

GOHO

Apr 13, 2008
I am working 4 other wrecks that to me are more important. The data that i would sell is just depth info anyway, i thought if someone was interested in 3D mapping and shipwrecks they might want the data set to create their own map. There are many programs out there that will make a surface out of an XYZ file....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions