beach digging..how big a hole can one dig legally???

allen_idaho

Dec 4, 2007
Culdesac, Idaho
I don't know about Florida, but over on the Oregon and Washington coast, people are digging up the beach all the time in search of clams. I've seen these get around waist deep.

I don't think it really matters how deep you dig as long as the hole gets filled back in. I doubt you'd be able to get too far before you hit water anyway.

vulcan007

Dec 4, 2007
6-8 feet!

Has to be by hand with shovel or scoop. Can't bring backhoe on the beach!

Make sure to fill back holes!

C

Cappy Z.

vulcan007 said:
6-8 feet!

Vulcan007, How tall are you? :wink:

OP
OP
scubaozzy

scubaozzy

Aug 20, 2007
Tavares,FL.
Detector(s) used
minelab excal.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
that's a good point allen...thanks vulcan, i do not know if i could or would want to dig that deep...

vulcan007

Dec 4, 2007
Cappy Z. said:
vulcan007 said:
6-8 feet!

Vulcan007, How tall are you? :wink:

6'3''

I know guys that dug 6-8 ft holes in S Fla

scubaozzy - 2-3 feet no problem in Florida. Just cover hole after! :icon_thumleft:

Sorroque

Jan 5, 2007
Canaberal de Ayzm
Detector(s) used
GMHCX3
There is an art to digging on the beach. You start your hole wide of the diameter you intend to dig or you shall be digging twice or triple as you intended.
And there is water under the sand where it reaches mean sealevel.
So dig wide and down.

wwwtimmcp

Bronze Member
Sep 22, 2007
wakeman, ohio
Detector(s) used
J.W.FISHERS pulse 8x
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I have not had anyone say anything here in ohio but I do fill them in and take out alot of trash. most people are just happy that I cleaned up the beach.

mad4wrecks

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2004
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, DetectorPro Headhunter, Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
You'll know when you've dug deep enough when the beach patrol shows up. :tongue3:

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dug a hole half the size of my truck down to almost 6 feet deep to retrieve a 400 year old 80 lb ships deadeye.I dug it with my hands and a sand scoop.I learned after this hole to bring a large shovel.

itmaiden

Sep 28, 2005
Where were they when someone left a huge hole in the beach at Bonsteel !
I think I am going to get me a paint gun and some purple paint pellets and plaster their "tush" next time I see them walk away from a hole like that without filling it in !
That thing was there for months afterwards ! It was really irritating. Right in the line of a walking area.

itmaiden

mad4wrecks said:
You'll know when you've dug deep enough when the beach patrol shows up. :tongue3:

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sometimes i dig really deep holes on the beach then sit back and see how many other out of state tourist treasure hunters fall in.Then i cover my holes up. :lurk:

OP
OP
scubaozzy

scubaozzy

Aug 20, 2007
Tavares,FL.
Detector(s) used
minelab excal.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
or you can just tell them there is a treasure chest down there but you got tired of digging and then walk away....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread