Diving Destin this time of year

Martimus Rex

Dec 11, 2009
IL / MO
Detector(s) used
Whites 6000 DI SE 3
Some friends and I are talking about making a road trip to Destin for Presidents weekend but we don't know anything about the area. Can anyone recommend a good dive shop? Any places in the area that we just have to check out?

Someone posted a bing map on here of Pensacola and I can't seem to find it again. Anyone else seen it?

Thanks

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
You better have a dry suit. The water temp is in the 50's.

pcolaboy

Sep 5, 2006
Pensacola, Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS
The marine weather has not been very great here lately (Pensacola) and you are definitely talking very thick wetsuit or even drysuit diving with surface temps nearshore being 55 or so. Bay temps are hovering around 50.

Visibility is going to be another consideration since we've had record rainfall in the last two months. So I would definitely recommend finding a dive 8 miles or more offshore with 60+ feet of depth.

In my opinion ScubaTech is the best operation in Destin and their number is 850-837-2822. You may also want to check out diving out of Pensacola which typically has more winter diving. If so, contact MBTDivers 850-455-7702 or ScubaShack 850-433-4319.

Another thing you may want to consider is checking out Vortex Spring near Ponce De Leon (about an hour away from Destin). It's a very large and beautiful natural spring dive even for novice open water divers. The benefit here would be warmer water temps (compared to the Gulf right now) of around 65 degrees year round. http://www.vortexspring.com

Have a safe trip.

OP
OP
M

Martimus Rex

Dec 11, 2009
IL / MO
Detector(s) used
Whites 6000 DI SE 3
Man, great info. Thanks for the numbers I will check them out. I was afraid the water temp would be down that low. I was hoping it would at least be in the low 60s.

This forum is really great. So many people with so much information, and willing to help.

Thanks Again.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread