Help in identifying a gold artifact

Alexandre

Bronze Member
Oct 21, 2009
Lisbon
Hi all

We have recovered this gold item from about 7 meters deep, on the south coast of Terceira Island, Azores, from a non-shipwreck context (although we have records of several Spanish ships being sunk in that general area)

It's solid gold roll, bent into a D-ring shape. Besides that cut/incision on the left, there are no more marks on it.

It might have been a piece of gold that was being smuggled, but then, why this shape?

If you can help, please contribute.

negrito.jpg

Trond

Mar 23, 2006
Norway
Detector(s) used
XP Goldmaxx Power.
Its easier to transport when it is formed like a ring. And if you need to pay for anything, you just hack of a piece and shape the remaining gold back to a ring.

Or it could be a homemade bracelet.

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It could be a nose ring or a ear ring.

OP
OP
Alexandre

Alexandre

Bronze Member
Oct 21, 2009
Lisbon
Trond said:
Its easier to transport when it is formed like a ring. And if you need to pay for anything, you just hack of a piece and shape the remaining gold back to a ring.

Too heavy and solid for that, that's the reason you carry gold chain around.

Or it could be a homemade bracelet.

Too small, it would only fit a baby child's hand.

OP
OP
Alexandre

Alexandre

Bronze Member
Oct 21, 2009
Lisbon
FISHEYE said:
It could be a nose ring or a ear ring.

It does remind me of the nose ring you use on bulls, to tame them into obeying your steering, but I doubt one would make such an object in pure gold..

As for the ear ring, the same reason: it's too heavy and cumbersome to be used in such a manner by any person, no matter how tall and heavy they are.

Thanks, anyway. :)

ScubaFinder

Bronze Member
Jul 11, 2006
Tampa, FL
Detector(s) used
AquaPulse AQ1B - AquaPulse DX-200 Magnetometer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
One way to avoid paying the "royal fifth" was to be wearing an item of gold. Maybe this person didn't have a goldsmith to make him a nice chain. I could see someone making a solid gold bracelet for a child to be worked into a chain once back in the old world.

Gold was normally only used as either ornamentation or money, so I'd say you have an unusual and very interesting object.

Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Homebuilt pulse loop
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
In identifying artifacts, it helps to know the specific context of your dig. What other artifacts have you found? I find it hard to believe that this is a Spaniard's item used to avoid the royal fifth. 7 meters is an incredible depth for a non-shipwreck site, and would indicate a much earlier time period. What kind of soil/strata are you working with, Alexandre?

Very interesting.

OP
OP
Alexandre

Alexandre

Bronze Member
Oct 21, 2009
Lisbon
Darren in NC said:
In identifying artifacts, it helps to know the specific context of your dig. What other artifacts have you found? I find it hard to believe that this is a Spaniard's item used to avoid the royal fifth. 7 meters is an incredible depth for a non-shipwreck site, and would indicate a much earlier time period. What kind of soil/strata are you working with, Alexandre?

Very interesting.

Hi Darren

It was 7 meters deep, but underwater, on a rocky bottom, intersped with patches of sand. :)

Since it was in the Azores, we can safely rule out anything earlier than 1420-1430 AC.

OP
OP
Alexandre

Alexandre

Bronze Member
Oct 21, 2009
Lisbon
ScubaFinder said:
One way to avoid paying the "royal fifth" was to be wearing an item of gold. Maybe this person didn't have a goldsmith to make him a nice chain. I could see someone making a solid gold bracelet for a child to be worked into a chain once back in the old world.

Gold was normally only used as either ornamentation or money, so I'd say you have an unusual and very interesting object.

It's one of my theories, too. Maybe it was originally coated with some oxide, and performing a menial task, in order to hide it's "golden" nature?

ScubaDude

Bronze Member
Oct 10, 2006
Coastal, NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS, Garret Seahunter MK II, Geometrics 882, Marine Sonic SS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Belt buckle of sorts? Or used or disguised in a similar fashion? Decorative saddle fastener? Who knows.... Are we certain its gold?

Neat piece, congrats on the find.

OP
OP
Alexandre

Alexandre

Bronze Member
Oct 21, 2009
Lisbon
ScubaDude said:
Belt buckle of sorts? Or used or disguised in a similar fashion? Decorative saddle fastener? Who knows.... Are we certain its gold?

It is, pure, solid gold.

firstbiggestmost

Oct 29, 2009
Florida
Detector(s) used
Excall II, Tesoro Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find. I thought nose ring for a sacred bull? Maybe a sacrifice?

OP
OP
Alexandre

Alexandre

Bronze Member
Oct 21, 2009
Lisbon
GOHO said:
Do you have an idea of what ship it came off of?

If I could date gold.... it could have been from about 20 ships, lost in that area from 1552 till 1762....

Zephyr

Nov 26, 2006
Probably West African in origin, used as a trade item/currency. Could be an early form of manilla (which were mostly brass/copper, though gold ones are not unheard of.)
Be on the lookout for more if that's the case.... :thumbsup:

capt dom

Nov 9, 2006
Jupiter, Florida USA
Folks were smaller back then....
This easily could be a slip over the hand bracelet and may
have been easily disguised with either rope or leather wrappings.

If it is pure gold - it will bend easily. Solid gold that doesn't bend
easily is usually alloyed with some type of hardening agent

Have you actually checked its karat?

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
since gold jewelry was exempt for the royal fifth tax *and did not have to be fancy jewelry just jewelry . you can bet "smuggling" type folks had all sorts of "jewelry" on them if they could "afford" the price of gold -- :wink:

smugglers would also mix in stuff with other cargo quite often -- hiding gold in a barrel of tar / pitch was a favorite ---in your exsample say they used a barrel of iron rings -- make a few gold ones darken them and put them in the lower part of the barral of iron rings -- anyone opening the barrel sees iron rings -- ok pass it on.

OldGold74

Jul 12, 2008
Detector(s) used
Minelab/Fisher/Aquapulse
Some African ladies have very thin wrists, in Guinea one place the RAC set up, bracelets like this were common which is why the vessels found funding to return to Guinea form the UK and later the RAC built a formidable trade fleet on these style gold products,gold dust and ivory, might i also add the Guinea Gold coin was also derived from the same African commodity and used widely thereafter. :coffee2: Could be an African Guinea trade bracelet....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread