George Cannon was wrecked on Absecon Beach in New Jersey in 1830

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
The ship George Cannon was wrecked on Absecon Beach in New Jersey in 1830.
I just thought this was interesting.......
Google Books has a copy of Absegami: Annals Eyren Haven and Atlantic City 1609 to 1904 by Alfred M. Heston written in 1904. On pages 187-188 it has the following:

"1830- In the winter of the same year (1830) the ship "George Cannon," from Liverpool, with a cargo of dry-goods and hardware, came ashore. The boxes of dry-goods were thrown overboard and soon lined the strand. The off-shore people scented the prey and came in crowds, eager for the spoils. Then began the most exciting game of hide-and-seek ever known on the seaborad. Cupidity and rapacity crushed out all sense of honor. Neighbor robbed neighbor. Holes were made in the hills and the boxes buried, but while the party who had hidden was gone to seek another, somebody would dig it out and convey it to another place of concealment. The night was bitter cold, and two men, who started for a house at Cedar Grove, perished on the hills near by.*"

[As a footnote]"Mrs. Robert B. Leeds, of this city, has in her possession, a calico lining for a bedquilt which possesses special interest. It is a part of the wreckage from the George Cannon, which struck on the beach near where one of the piers now stands. The Cannon had an assorted cargo, part of which was thrown overboard. The vessel got off and was being taken into the Inilet when it struck again on the north side of the channel and went to pieces, a total wreck. It was a packet ship from England. The wreckage was a bonanza to people along the shore, who secured parts of it. The relic which Mrs. Leeds has is well preeserved, and is a fine sample of old fashioned print and design. The first double-barrel guns ever seen in this locality are said to have appeared along the shore soon after the wreck of this vessel."

ballbuster

Sep 27, 2006
Gypsy,
Thanks for posting this story. The number of wrecks in that area is unbelievable. My Great Grandfather was a keeper at the United States Lifesaving Service stationed at Brigatine island in the 1860's. He also served as a surfman at the Atlantic City station in the early years.

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,258224.0.html

One story related to us as kids was about "Moon rakers" that lived along the beaches. They would walk donkeys with lights mounted on them to draw the ships closer to the Brigatine shoals. Once aground they would then salvage the cargo.

Another story was the tale of a schooner with cargo of dry goods and bales of ostrich plume on board. The ship was wrecked and the cargo washed ashore. In later years during the reconstruction of the Island; a lot of the homes were torn down. The walls were insulated with ostrich plumes.

Try and pick up a copy of "The annals of Brigatine". I believe it is available for sale at the library on Brigatine. Its a small booklet but is loaded with local information.

Jim

PS Also related to the Leeds family. Jersey Devil blood!!

Whittman

Oct 4, 2005
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
JW Fishers
Looking for information on a wreck in that area called the Booth Brothers. She supposedly went down in a storm on the Brigantine Shoals in 1895, however, I can't find any record of her in the Life Saving Station records or newspaper accounts (although the AC Press is missing Jan, Feb., and March of that year). She is listed in the Annals of Brigantine and a few other more recent shipwreck books but I'm not sure where the information came from. As anyone who ever examined Life Saving Station records can tell you, they were very detailed and complete and I can't imagine a shipwreck occuring without mention in the log. Maybe an error somewhere in transcription as far as the date? Any ideas?

ballbuster

Sep 27, 2006
Whittman,
It would depend on the time of the year. The stations were not manned during the "off season". Usually the summer months. Hence no record by the USLSS. Just a thought.

Jim

Whittman

Oct 4, 2005
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
JW Fishers
Could be, although I would think it would have been in the paper. I saw many others around that time frame. Micro is hard to read, I could have missed it....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread