Health Hazards of Treasure Hunting

itmaiden

Sep 28, 2005
Hi Friends,

Saw this news article tonight and it really made me think of health hazards encountered in areas we may be TH, whether we hunt water or land. While I normally wear gloves to handle soil, there are other exposure risks we take in some of the areas/sites we go into.(for instance old munitions at dive sites).

Here is an article of health hazards present on a small island of Puerto Rico. If you know of any in your area or other potential TH areas please share.

Vieques, Puerto Rico

http://www.cnn.com/2010/US/02/01/vieques.illness/index.html?hpt=C2

itmaiden

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Always be careful digging in the sand on the First coast. The area was active during WW2. Last year, an underwater mine that broke free from it's mooring, was exposed and detonated in Ponte Vedra. Couple years before that, a boy and his father unearthed an unexploded ordinance on Anastasia State Park. Be wary of the large, strong signals.

Trond

Mar 23, 2006
Norway
Detector(s) used
XP Goldmaxx Power.
Yes there is a risk involved digging in areas were there has been military activity. So be careful all of you.

I have dug a german WW2 antitank mine myself. It was.....- Lets call it a shocking experience. :laughing7:

Ramitt

Jul 24, 2007
Trond said:
Yes there is a risk involved digging in areas were there has been military activity. So be careful all of you.

I have dug a german WW2 antitank mine myself. It was.....- Lets call it a shocking experience. :laughing7:

What a blast
63713939.VPwOC7GO.rimshot.gif

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Diver_Down said:
Always be careful digging in the sand on the First coast. The area was active during WW2. Last year, an underwater mine that broke free from it's mooring, was exposed and detonated in Ponte Vedra. Couple years before that, a boy and his father unearthed an unexploded ordinance on Anastasia State Park. Be wary of the large, strong signals.

Sorry for the mis-information. It was a depth charge and not an underwater mine.
http://staugustine.com/stories/033109/news_033109_003.shtml

Sorroque

Jan 5, 2007
Canaberal de Ayzm
Detector(s) used
GMHCX3
You must know this if you are exposed to winds and rains of hurricanes while treasure hunting.
There are hurricanes that come off of Africa that carry a strain of virus that can kill!
Symptons are:
1.Profuse sweating. You haft to sleep on a towel.
2.Pox like bumps. Red bumps all over the body.
3.Intense vomiting. Vomit so strong you vomit up your feces.
4.Dehydration.
What is it? Terra Cota Rash .
What is the antidote? Selsun formula, 98% inert ingredients.
If you contact this sickness you should seek a doctor imediately. 5/6 people die if not treated.
Prescription selsun. Shower, do not towel dry, apply the Selsun Rx. while wet ,Let the formula dry.
This treatment is twice a day for at least 3 days. Selsun Blue shampoo is 03% selsun, you could use this in an emergency.
I contacted this rare sickness while metal detecting during a hurricane in 1999 at Cocoa Beach, Florida.
-ghost town: "Selsun", Tennessee.. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
itmaiden

itmaiden

Sep 28, 2005
Wow, that's a good warning. I will have to look into that !

itmaiden

Sorroque said:
You must know this if you are exposed to winds and rains of hurricanes while treasure hunting.
There are hurricanes that come off of Africa that carry a strain of virus that can kill!
Symptons are:
1.Profuse sweating. You haft to sleep on a towel.
2.Pox like bumps. Red bumps all over the body.
3.Intense vomiting. Vomit so strong you vomit up your feces.
4.Dehydration.
What is it? Terra Cota Rash .
What is the antidote? Selsun formula, 98% inert ingredients.
If you contact this sickness you should seek a doctor imediately. 5/6 people die if not treated.
Prescription selsun. Shower, do not towel dry, apply the Selsun Rx. while wet ,Let the formula dry.
This treatment is twice a day for at least 3 days. Selsun Blue shampoo is 03% selsun, you could use this in an emergency.
I contacted this rare sickness while metal detecting during a hurricane in 1999 at Cocoa Beach, Florida.
-ghost town: "Selsun", Tennessee.. :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions