aquanut

aquanut

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2005
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Tesoro Tiger Shark
Re: 1500's Pirate Treasure?

Sorry, GOHO, I don't have any details. I'll see if I can find out where this wreck is located.
Aquanut

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

I'm no expert but the little guys with the fan on their heads remind me of Incan stlye.

moche_feline_336.jpg

DCMatt

Sphere

Jan 31, 2010

Incan/Mayan gold. The first is almost undoubtedly a cannon. On the lower half of it you can see one of the support arms.

treshuntintom

May 24, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Hey John,agree with cannon for pic#1.You can make out the trunions & see the barrel taper as well.Pic#2.Inca or Mayan possibly.Real or fake,thats the big question.Liked the other goodies in pic also.Take care,good huntin.Tom

cuzcosquirrel

Aug 20, 2008

Might have a trunion on the bottom. Would be like a demi saker. Those look like Tairona tumbarga figures, on a display in a museum.

itmaiden

Sep 28, 2005

The gold here is a nicer quality than what I have seen in Mayan museum displays. What I have seen is darker and less pure and not worked as well.

Nice Indian relic to the side there too !

itmaiden

aquanut said:
I had a request to post these two pictures here to see if anyone can shed some light on what he might have here.

Alexandre

Bronze Member
Oct 21, 2009
Lisbon

You also have a polished stone ax, as well as an obsidian blade. It looks like someone took a photograph of a museum shell.

The iron cannon looks it's an early 18th century gun, by the bulky looks of it,

signumops

Feb 28, 2007
U.S.
Detector(s) used
Garrett, Minelab, Aqua-Pulse
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Cannon looks short... broken maybe? Can't tell. Middle figure looks like enhanced surface tumbaga, Quimbaya culture(north of Tolima and west of Colima/Musica). What's supposedly the connection?

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

The object just left of the trunion and on the top side of the cannon resembles (to these eyes) a powder chamber for a breech loader. The hollowed-out chamber area is evident; the handle for the chamber is less obvious.
Can you provide the scale of these objects?

bucketofguts

Jul 2, 2007
N.C.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT and Garrett Seahunter mark 2. Treasure Mate pinpointerer

a powerful, short-range anti-ship and anti-crew weapon, encrusted with incrustations :laughing7: :laughing7: :hello:

olepossum

Apr 9, 2008
st. joseph missouri
Detector(s) used
old school whites cion master 6/db and dfx 300 ace 250

cannon short one deck gun hand operated on a pivot like a rail gun i am a cannoner i do confederate artillery land and river re enactments

OP
OP
aquanut

aquanut

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2005
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Tesoro Tiger Shark

Thanks for all the responses. I received these pictures by e-mail from somebody I don't know, but apparently knows me. I emailed some questions to him but as yet haven't received a reply.
Aquanut

old man

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2003
East Coast

Alexandre said:
You also have a polished stone ax, as well as an obsidian blade. It looks like someone took a photograph of a museum shell.

The iron cannon looks it's an early 18th century gun, by the bulky looks of it,

Alexandre, from your post it appears that you are a very astute observer. I do see a few minor problems with the photograph being taken in a museum. First of all, the gold figures wouldn't be grouped with other Indian Artifacts. I also know that if the figures were in a museum, that they would be fully in cased in a clear box, with an alarm system attached. There is no way that they would be in the open where you could pick them up. I would think that they are now in the Private hands of a collector of fine Indian Artifacts,

I think from John's post, the person that sent him the pictures wants to know if anyone as any idea of when the wreck might have sunk and what type of ship might have been carrying those artifacts. I can unequivocally and without mental reservation say that the gold artifacts are not in a museum and are in fact Pure Gold.

cuzcosquirrel

Aug 20, 2008

You can sometimes score statues like that off of ebay for a couple hundred bucks. Tumbaga is an alloy with some gold in it, but mostly copper. The surface is treated a couple of ways to bring out a thin smooth layer of rich looking gold.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread